Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 05:04 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,744,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
So you are comparing a property with only one rental to multiple rentals.

I am currently on my fifth rental property, all have had multiple rental units in them. One time I contracted a management firm to deal directly with tenants, and it turned into a nightmare for me.

I am comparing living in a building of 10 to 12 units to a building with close to a hundred units and noticed now I get faster service. Seems like the service should have been faster in a building with less apartments instead of a building with more apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 11:12 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,585,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
Gotta quit slamming those doors so hard, Dude.
Yeah good luck with that dude because you know it wasn't me slamming the doors.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:36 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
Sounds like you've had some tough breaks, but also that you're spending too much energy on self pity and jealousy. Give more thought and energy into improving your life yourself and less energy toward other people. Move. Change can be good and revitalizing.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:49 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I am comparing living in a building of 10 to 12 units to a building with close to a hundred units and noticed now I get faster service. Seems like the service should have been faster in a building with less apartments instead of a building with more apartments.
Up to this point, i have only owned Tri-plexes, a Four-plex and a Five-plex. I currently own a building being remodeled into a 14-plex. One summer, I worked for a company that ran a 25 unit complex, they had full-time handymen on staff.

I can see where you might be looking at the differences between cold calling a plumber as compared to calling out someone that is already on salary.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:54 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
That's why it makes sense to deal with a realty company rather than a private landlord so when maintenance issues comes up they resolve in 24-48 hours.
I know a few apartment building managers. Some are great others are pitiful. I have my own people who go and do repairs if I can't get to or physically can't do. They usually go at least look at it in 24-48 hours. I don't like cold calling other trades because I dont know those people or their work quality. And sometimes I am at the mercy of things I can't control.

Quote:
Did you have a month to month lease? I didn't think a landlord can tell you to leave in 30 days because of some issue with a neighbor.
If he's on a month to month the LL can simply terminate the lease. Unless some specific laws come into play (rent control or Sec8 ). I can basically write a letter to all my tenants and have terminated leases and surrendered properties in 30/60 days.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Up to this point, i have only owned Tri-plexes, a Four-plex and a Five-plex. I currently own a building being remodeled into a 14-plex. One summer, I worked for a company that ran a 25 unit complex, they had full-time handymen on staff.

I can see where you might be looking at the differences between cold calling a plumber as compared to calling out someone that is already on salary.

I have a new maintenance request to make tonight on the website due to a bathroom sink issue and expect someone to be here tomorrow or Tuesday. Ten years ago I would have probably waited for a week or more for someone to address the issue.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I know a few apartment building managers. Some are great others are pitiful. I have my own people who go and do repairs if I can't get to or physically can't do. They usually go at least look at it in 24-48 hours. I don't like cold calling other trades because I dont know those people or their work quality. And sometimes I am at the mercy of things I can't control.

If he's on a month to month the LL can simply terminate the lease. Unless some specific laws come into play (rent control or Sec8 ). I can basically write a letter to all my tenants and have terminated leases and surrendered properties in 30/60 days.

How can someone move and find a new place in 30 days?

Old 06-18-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
How can someone move and find a new place in 30 days?
Nobody will hold an apartment until you are ready to move in. Owners do not want to leave an apartment unoccupied for even a month.

As much as i'm not thrilled with being told i have to leave i do understand how the business works.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Sounds like you've had some tough breaks, but also that you're spending too much energy on self pity and jealousy. Give more thought and energy into improving your life yourself and less energy toward other people. Move. Change can be good and revitalizing.
self pitty and jealousy? LOL the stuff people come up with online is comical and borderline insane.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:00 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
That sucks, OP. I'd never treat my tenant that way.

Back when I rented, however, I put up with a lot of crap from a landlord (showing my room in violation of the lease terms, etc.) because the monthly rent was dirt cheap. At my most recent rental that I had before buying my condo, my landlady's behavior accelerated my desire to move out. While she was otherwise pleasant, she was way too intrusive and I finally had enough . . . having the means to buy certainly helped, too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting