Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 12:57 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

I am curious. If the power was out to the entire block, how was the manager to email you?

Your manager has no control over power outages and, normally, people can look at the neighboring buildings and see that everyone's power is out. When everyone's power is out, you must wait for the electric company to fix it. Your apartment manager is not going to put on her climbing spikes and climb the power pole and change the transformer.

You interrupted her conversation and you are insulted that she went back to her conversation instead of focusing on fixing your problem that she could not fix because it wasn't anything she had control over.

And yes, you can be asked to vacate at the end of your lease if you are unpleasant to the staff and you harass the staff.

Also, there is no reason to go to a motel just because the power is out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 04:57 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer132 View Post
This was the only time. I have never been evicted ever. They screwed me over with renting me the wrong apartment while I was 300 miles away. It was a bait and switch.

I don't even look at her, but she was the only one there and the worst came out of me because she couldn't explain why the outage happened. I have two small dogs who were not fed, I needed to know if I should go to a hotel. It was an outage for 4 hours.

If she had said the truth about we'll inform you when we know, it would be different. But she acted like I was no one. She has done this before, but I usually communicate with the regional manager who understands me. Do you think I need to hire an attorney?
No, you screwed yourself by renting a unit 300 miles away.

How do you expect her to know how the outage happened? I mean really, she was in the dark, literally, just like you. Did you really expect her or someone else to go door to door giving updates??? It was a power outage for goodness sake...no need for you to go postal over it.

If you can't live without power for 4 hours, then you have bigger issues than your manger mouthing 'eviction' to you. Your dogs wont' die if they miss a meal (not sure why they can't eat by candlelight)..and sure you can go to hotel..that's YOUR choice, on YOUR dime.

I doubt she'll evict you, but I bet she won't renew your lease.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:00 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
You don't harass the landlord about your electricity when the whole block is out. You call the electric company. I was without power 4 hours at my house. It's not the end of the world. Above poster is spot on. I just noticed it's Kim. She usually has advice I enjoy reading that's usually spot on and to the point without coddling people.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:52 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Thanks, but I have a 13 month lease. Do you think they can evict me for calling her a liar and saying F word?

Don't know but it certainly won't endear you to anyone. Are you the only tenant having issues? If so, maybe it's your attitude? Check your lease, if you're not breaking any rules as stipulated in the lease, she is just messing with you. Ignore it and don't let her get under your skin. If you're stuck there for the remainder of your lease I would just suck it up until it's up and then get the heck out of there.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
You did not read the post completely. If it was ongoing I would have said so. You just assumed, wrong. I am sorry to hear that you would evict someone who was very anxious in an emergency. You sound just like this woman. I don't rent from insenstive, non understanding managers. This was not harrassment, it was anxiety and being upset that the communication was so bad.
Power going out is not something you should get anxious about, or blame anyone for. It happens.

Wait until winter, when ice on power lines causes more, longer outages. Life.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:50 AM

586 posts, read 554,576 times
Quote:
There was an electrical outage in this apartment building I live in and it was the 3rd one in 4 months.

I do not get along with the apartment manager who lied to me before I moved in (see the other thread by me) and has lied to me ever since. I stopped communicating with her.

I called down to the front desk security and asked about the outage. She told me that couldn't do anything because she's "Tending to me" I took the dogs and went to the lobby. This apartment manager was down there laughing. I do not talk to her anymore since she has put me through so much and I can't forget about the lying, the bait and switch, and lying after that, but she was the only one down there.

I asked her what happened to the electricity and when it will be fixed. She said "They're working on it" and smirked and started laughing with the front desk security. I said the F word and walked out. I then found someone down the street and asked them if the electricity company had been called, since their building was out also. He told me nothing was being done by the city's electrical company.

I went back into the lobby and said to the manager that she was a liar and has been lying since I moved in. I said I asked her if anything was being done about the electricity and she didn't have enough respect to answer me responsibly, as she has not done since the beginning. She walked away and started going up the stairs and mouthed "EVICTION."

I have never been evicted from an apartment in my life and this was a clear out threat.

There was no email sent, nothing sent to the tenants.

I emailed the regional manager who didn't know anything about this and told him what happened. He emailed me back and thanked me for advising and that he would talk to this "manager" when she gets back from vacation. I told him I will get an attorney if I hear anymore threats.

I need some advice please. Should I contact an attorney now? I have every email saved from the lies and crookedness of this manager. She literally threatened me with a stupid smirk on her face. I am upset.

Thanks
I don't know the OP personally and cannot attest to how she handles crises or whether she causes drama. HOWEVER—an effective property manager should be able to deal with and people like OP and their dramas because it's their job. Whether the property manager can magically turn the electricity back on is not relevant. What he or she can do is calm their tenant down and reassure them that the problem is being taken care of. This woman just sounds like she's doing a bad job and if she doesn't want to deal with people like the OP (which are the reality of property management), then find a new job.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:07 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
....... What he or she can do is calm their tenant down and reassure them that the problem is being taken care of. ........
The manager did tell OP that the problem was being worked on. What else is it her job to do? Make OP a cup of hot cocoa? It's no one's job to stop their conversation and hold the hand of a person who can't understand that the power is out to the whole area and it is the electric company, and only the electric company, who can fix it.

The manager is not anyone's personal therapist, there to get them through every personal crisis. Her job was to call the power company, which she did and the power company was working on it. That's the limit of the manager's job under this particular scenario.

My tenants are all on a month to month agreement and if any of my tenants cursed at me and flipped me the bird, they would get their notice to vacate right then and there. OP has a lease, so she won't be told to move until her lease expires.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:54 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
Electricity outages happen, especially if there are storms. The power company does its best to fix the problem as soon as possible. This is not the managements problem.

There was no reason to harass the manager for an act of God.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:09 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
I haven't been reading the Rental section for some time now. This topic reminds me why!

Old 06-17-2017, 03:27 PM

586 posts, read 554,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The manager did tell OP that the problem was being worked on. What else is it her job to do? Make OP a cup of hot cocoa? It's no one's job to stop their conversation and hold the hand of a person who can't understand that the power is out to the whole area and it is the electric company, and only the electric company, who can fix it.

The manager is not anyone's personal therapist, there to get them through every personal crisis. Her job was to call the power company, which she did and the power company was working on it. That's the limit of the manager's job under this particular scenario.

My tenants are all on a month to month agreement and if any of my tenants cursed at me and flipped me the bird, they would get their notice to vacate right then and there. OP has a lease, so she won't be told to move until her lease expires.
Quote:
There was an electrical outage in this apartment building I live in and it was the 3rd one in 4 months.

I do not get along with the apartment manager who lied to me before I moved in (see the other thread by me) and has lied to me ever since. I stopped communicating with her.

I called down to the front desk security and asked about the outage. She told me that couldn't do anything because she's "Tending to me" I took the dogs and went to the lobby. This apartment manager was down there laughing. I do not talk to her anymore since she has put me through so much and I can't forget about the lying, the bait and switch, and lying after that, but she was the only one down there.

I asked her what happened to the electricity and when it will be fixed. She said "They're working on it" and smirked and started laughing with the front desk security. I said the F word and walked out. I then found someone down the street and asked them if the electricity company had been called, since their building was out also. He told me nothing was being done by the city's electrical company.

I went back into the lobby and said to the manager that she was a liar and has been lying since I moved in. I said I asked her if anything was being done about the electricity and she didn't have enough respect to answer me responsibly, as she has not done since the beginning. She walked away and started going up the stairs and mouthed "EVICTION."

I have never been evicted from an apartment in my life and this was a clear out threat.

There was no email sent, nothing sent to the tenants.

I emailed the regional manager who didn't know anything about this and told him what happened. He emailed me back and thanked me for advising and that he would talk to this "manager" when she gets back from vacation. I told him I will get an attorney if I hear anymore threats.

I need some advice please. Should I contact an attorney now? I have every email saved from the lies and crookedness of this manager. She literally threatened me with a stupid smirk on her face. I am upset.

Thanks
So when the OP got a conflicting story about whether the problem was being worked on, she wasn't supposed to say anything further to the manager because she had already been told that the problem was being worked on? Getting a clear answer from someone who is supposed to be in authority is hardly "hand-holding" and I believe that most people on this forum would probably go back to the manger and ask again. Especially if the manager acted in the way that was described by the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting