Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:20 AM

531 posts, read 453,331 times

Advertisements

I was told I should put this up as information for landlords who look up credit reports.
My credit score is zero. That does not mean that I could not possibly have worse credit. It means they have no information about me. I have rented in the past, paid the rent and utilities every month, and I own my own house now, clear of any mortgage. I would think that I'm better off and a better credit risk than most people, who don't own a house and a car and have money in the bank. But somehow paying your bills on time over a lifetime doesn't get counted in the credit score. If you don't happen to have borrowed money from a bank you don't get a credit rating.
I had some trouble years ago about renting an apartment in a town where I had just started a good-paying job with a major manufacturer. I had been living on the family property nearby and therefore had no recent landlord reference. True, that could not be verified, and I expect that people make up such stories. I eventually found a mother-in-law type of apartment through a fellow-worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 09:27 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
If you can prove income and past rental history or mortgage payment history then I'd be fine renting to someone with no credit score.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:46 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Scores can come back as not enough information to evaluate. They do not come back with a credit score of zero.

Sure, I will accept an applicant who always pays cash for everything and has never in his life been late paying a bill. But I also check criminal background and evictions, verify identity and verify income. I require 2 good landlord references. It's not like I don't run the credit report just becasue an applicant tells me they have no score because they always pay cash.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:51 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
It is not true that you only get a credit score if you borrow from a bank. Unless you are operating completely off grid and with only cash, you should have a credit score, just from being signed up for utilities. Utility companies regularly report to credit bureaus.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:00 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Huh? Everyone has a credit score.

I moved to the US about 10 years ago and did not borrow any money, and did not have a job for a while and still got an okay credit score pretty fast. Just by using Credit Cards and paying bills.

Why do you think you have no credit score??

Old 06-29-2017, 11:54 AM

420 posts, read 403,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Huh? Everyone has a credit score.

I moved to the US about 10 years ago and did not borrow any money, and did not have a job for a while and still got an okay credit score pretty fast. Just by using Credit Cards and paying bills.

Why do you think you have no credit score??
Then you borrowed money.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:07 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It is not true that you only get a credit score if you borrow from a bank. Unless you are operating completely off grid and with only cash, you should have a credit score, just from being signed up for utilities. Utility companies regularly report to credit bureaus.
Yep. If I pulled a CB and it came up as zero, I'd think the SSN was wrong or something.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

Shrug. I live with 10 roommates. Only one of us can be signed up for utilities.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:31 PM

531 posts, read 453,331 times
I got a copy of my credit report and it said zero. It also had a wrong address, a place I haven't lived in for thirty years. Maybe they meant I don't exist there any more.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:32 PM

19,442 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Somebody has been listening too much to Dave Ramsey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting