Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 03:00 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,975,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
If a payroll company is doing the processing, every pay stub should gave that information on it. My pay stubs all say "Payrolls by Paychex, Inc." which is the company my employer uses. A quick Google search will prove the legitimacy.
No it won't. It will just prove the forger picked the name of a well known payroll company off the Internet. They could even visit the company's website and copy the company's logo.

Even better if they can get a sample of a real pay check stub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 07:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
screening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
Oh i see. That alone doesnt deny them. Its them not having all necessary paperwork ON TOP of an employer not giving out the info. Nevermind. You do have better things to do. Here i was, assuming that these same people gave you the necessary paperwork. Shame on me! Lol.
No if everything is there and looks good I'll call and tell the tenant the issue I'm running into. I'll work with someone. If I can't get the info at all I'll deny if they can't prove income from a reliable source. Ultimately I still need to make sure you can pay me and have the income that can pay for it. All I really want to see that you can afford the rent. I don't care about what you do or your title at the company

Anything can be faked. W2-1099 pay stubs etc. sure I'll accept the stubs or papers on a application but I still want to hear a HR person that I call on a front line tell me that you are employed and how much you make. But most places I call have no issue verifying the info. There are a few that refuse to do so, so if I can't get all the info I need to make a reasonable decision I move on to a different applicant. Ultimately the denial is simply due to inability to verify income. I'm not going to spend days on end playing Magnum P.I. to get income verification. I have sent employment verification forms before to employers. But this is really a very rare occurrence.
Truthfully the hardest people for me to qualify are self employed. Because it's so easy to fake records. That's why I take my time screning

Last edited by Electrician4you; 06-24-2017 at 07:39 PM..

Old 06-24-2017, 11:47 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,975,586 times
I could amuse myself by posting a fake 1099 here just to show how easy it is. I could do the same for a paycheck stub by Photoshopping one of my tenants' paycheck stubs.

I'll have to think it over. It might amuse me to post a few fake records showing the SSN 000-00-0000 and perhaps Donald Duck as the recipient.

I don't believe anything any tenant sends me. I don't even believe drivers licenses and SS identification cards. All can be faked.

Even worse, I check my credit reports via MySmartMove (TransUnion) and if you have somebody's info you could impersonate them and pass a credit check.

Yet worse, more and more of this information is becoming available online due to public records being posted, and I HATE genealogy sites!

I sometimes wonder if anything can't be faked.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:41 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,071,093 times
Well, it could be that your application was incomplete....since you left off a number.

It sounds like you and your boyfriend can afford to look for other places....Personally I wouldn't waste my time I'd just be more careful when filling out the next app.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:44 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,071,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Before we got married, we had the date set and we wanted to rent an apartment. But we had to wait to be married first. The landlords refused to rent to us without a marriage license. They said is was law in that state [Virginia].
Well if it was it isn't now. Fair housing laws forbid discrimination based on marital status.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:57 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,193,330 times
OP "mistakenly" leaves off a SS#, mentions race and never returns...

I call shenanigans on the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting