Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2017, 12:00 AM

9 posts, read 12,089 times

Advertisements

Okay, here's the situation:

I need to move out of my apartment in NJ by 6/30/17. I came down last week to the Riverview/Brandon/Gibsonton area to check out rental homes. I don't have the best credit, but after I provided proof of income in the form of bank statements (I run my own business), I was approved by Waypoint Homes and another property management company. I also wound up being approved for a third property - my first choice home in Riverview, FL! Obviously, I went with my first choice, but now I'm starting to get this creeping feeling I made a BIG mistake. Let me explain:

- I have signed the lease on 6/19 for my first choice property. However, no money has exchanged hands, and they tell me they are waiting on the HOA approval. I have also been told that the lease is "non-binding" until payment is rendered.... but I can't pay until the HOA approves me (payment is by direct deposit and the Listing Agent will not give me payment info until after HOA approval).

- My realtor keeps telling me not to worry, the HOA check is only criminal background, but the Listing Agent told me it was criminal AND credit. Neither seem to know for sure. I am not worried about either check, but what worries me is that unlike the other homes I was approved for, I haven't been asked for any of my bank statements or proof of income. For this property, they just had me fill out a form with my name, address, other relevant info (SSN, previous address/employer, etc) and a professional/personal reference. (to my knowledge, neither reference has been contacted)

- I am packing the UHaul and hooking up my car for a tow for the drive down on 6/28. I am leaving on 6/29, only 6 days from now. I have already booked my moving help both in NJ and FL, and I have a UHaul reservation. Both my realtor and the Listing Agent told me not worry, schedule my move, I've got the house... BUT I am becoming extremely nervous as the day of the move approaches and there has been no movement on this supposed HOA Approval.

So my big questions are: am I being jerked around for some reason?? Are HOA approvals mere "formalities" to make sure you're not a murderer/rapist or are they a more in-depth background check? Should I be worried and should I be contacting the other agents who approved me in case this house falls through?? I mean I signed the damn lease for this property... in 25 places, no less... but it doesn't feel real until I give them that deposit check. I feel like they're going to slam me with demands for proof of income or something like that at the last possible minute (like when I'm already on my way down or something crazy like that). Are my feelings to start looking elsewhere justified or should I just sit tight and wait for the HOA approval?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

A Very Confused/Frustrated,

MrNJ

Last edited by MrNJ666; 06-24-2017 at 01:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 01:25 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,244,125 times
Listen to the advice of the real estate professionals. Worst case you wind a daily rate rental and look for another place. HOA approval won't ask for your pay stubs as they don't care if you can pay or not, they aren't making money or risking their asset on this deal. Some HOAs are slow to act on some things so just calm down a bit and be patient.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:56 PM

9 posts, read 12,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Listen to the advice of the real estate professionals. Worst case you wind a daily rate rental and look for another place. HOA approval won't ask for your pay stubs as they don't care if you can pay or not, they aren't making money or risking their asset on this deal. Some HOAs are slow to act on some things so just calm down a bit and be patient.
Okay cool, that's what I needed to hear. This is my first experience with renting a home/an HOA, and this is a last minute move, so my nerves are a little frayed.

Thanks for the advice,

Charlie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting