Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 05:54 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times

Advertisements

I would not discuss it until you are moving out. Or if you feel compelled to discuss it now, insist that it be replaced AFTER you move out. Accidents happen. I would not want to replace the carpet and then have something else happen to it. Another stain, a dropped iron, whatever. Too many risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 05:57 PM

12 posts, read 8,508 times
Heyo thanks for this, and yeah this would be another reason. Not to say that, another roommate that lives in the house may also stain it, which could complicate things further.

Last thing I'd ask though, given the look at the stain, do you really think it's almost impossible to get it out to a point where it's not really noticeable? The good thing about this carpet is that it has some dark spots in it that looks like "natural stains", I wonder if the pros could get it cleaned to a point where it would look like part of the carpet and thus unnoticeable.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:06 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
OP, let a pro clean it and go from there.

I once got a week-old red wine stain mostly out of a white shag carpet using Oxyclean spray, several towels, and lots of patience.

I say "mostly" because it didn't come out 100% but by the time I was finished, it looked like normal wear and tear and the LL never noticed.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:40 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
The longer you wait the harder it is to get the wine stain out plus, if you have tried various methods already then some of those methods could possibly have set the stain permanently.

I have had a lot of luck using hydrogen peroxide for red wine and blood in carpet. As soon as you pour the peroxide on the stain it will start bubbling/foaming and then the wine/blood should start pulling up out of the carpet into the bubbles/foam. Let it sit for a few minutes and then start blotting it with a wet rag or sponge. Keep rinsing the sponge/rag so it stays clean and repeat as necessary. Again, this will only work if you haven't tried certain things that may have already permanently set the stain in.

Here are some other things that you can try using natural household items including the peroxide method:
https://patch.com/illinois/palatine/...-red51088561e3

Old 06-29-2017, 08:00 PM

Heyo, the only thing I tried was water and paper because I knew it wouldn't work well so I just dried after taking as much as possible. I might call a professional next week or so and try from there. I don't think water will get the stain permanent...I hope? It was already a couple of days since I found the stain, will it hold on for just a few more days until I get someone to clean it?

Old 06-29-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newwave34 View Post
Heyo, the only thing I tried was water and paper because I knew it wouldn't work well so I just dried after taking as much as possible. I might call a professional next week or so and try from there. I don't think water will get the stain permanent...I hope? It was already a couple of days since I found the stain, will it hold on for just a few more days until I get someone to clean it?
Who knows? But if it were me I would try the hydrogen peroxide. Do you have any? If not, it is less than a buck a bottle and you can find it in the H&B section at Walmart, Target or any drugstore and most grocery stores. Just try it on a small portion and see if it works for crying out loud.

Why sit and fret over things that you may not have to even worry about. Try the easy and cheap methods first!

Old 06-29-2017, 08:22 PM

Wilco, thanks for the tip man. Any chances this might **** things up even further or anything to be careful with?

Old 06-29-2017, 08:25 PM

Hydrogen peroxide is not going to hurt a thing.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:35 PM

586 posts, read 554,861 times
Resolve is pretty amazing at removing wine stains—even red wine.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:36 PM

539 posts, read 566,881 times
Saying that you made the stain is the responsible thing to do. Idgaf when you say it, but you should own up to your mess. No one cares if you're the tenant or sub tenant, your actions still caused the stain. You're trying to make excuses to get out of it. Monies owed wont be due until you leave the premises regardless of when you say anything, carpet replacing doesnt work the way youre describing. Carpets arent replaced because of a stain in the middle of a tenancy, its replaced in between, while vacant, unless something like mold occurs, or an agreement to raise the rent.

You cant just replace a 12 by 12 area of carpet either. If the carpet roll itself is 12ft then great, but then those extra 8 by 4 feet of carpet for the top of the stairs cant just be purchased like that it has to be with the carpet layout so you might have to purchase 12 by 20 ft worth of carpet. If the carpet roll is 14ft long, or 6 ft long, you'd need to size and purchase accordingly.

Landlords dont usually sit at their desks scheming of ways to rip off each of their tenants. If they even have a desk. It does happen, but not that often.

I will say, when you leave and if the original tenant rents out the room youre in without the carpet being replaced, unless you have contact with the landlord and they tell you to pay it, the next tenant just accepted the apartment "as is" basically meaning youre off the hook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting