Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:27 AM

22 posts, read 59,878 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the apartment for almost four years, paying same rate. Overall we're satisfied and we think we've been paying reasonable rent price. Private house, second floor, non-commercial landlord, $1050; had one year lease first year, and after that month to month.

Few days ago I received letter offering to sign new 12 months lease with $100 increase. Although the rent increase might be reasonable, I find timing of it little bit suspicious. I've been having continuous noise problems with first floor renters and I kept bringing it up to the landlord until he emailed that it was not his responsibility and I responded that it was his responsibility. After few days I received rent increase letter, and I believe he's just trying to get even but I doubt I can prove anything legally.

But anyway, my concern right now is the fact that I have to give answer by end of the month, and I have never dealt with rent increases before.
First, and most important thing that will make it uncomfortable for us is 12 months lease. For the last few months we've started thinking about buying a house, and although it is possible that we will stay another year in the apartment we rent, it is also possible that we may buy a house before. The problem with this is that even if we don't renew the lease, and have to find another rental property we will still most likely have to sign 12 months lease.
Second, I would like to negotiate to $1100 instead of $1150.

My question is how do I need to respond to the landlord considering above circumstances?
Is it smart to ask month to month but agreeing to increased rent?
Can I negotiate 6 months lease instead of 12?
Can I ask the landlord to give me more time to think?
How do I negotiate to $1100?

Our communications is mostly done through email.

Any helpful tips appreciated

Last edited by goroman; 07-05-2017 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 10:58 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
You haven't had an increase in 4 years and they are only adding $100. That is pretty fair, in my opinion. Just about 10%. My rent increased more than 10% in the two and a half years I lived in my apartment (recently- Aug 2014-March 2017). I, personally, would not push on the increase. I would, instead, agree to the increase but ask to remain month-to-month. $50/month x 12 = $600. I'm willing to guess that breaking your lease will cost more than that.

Which is more important to you? Month to month or trying to negotiate a smaller increase?

Old 07-05-2017, 12:12 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goroman View Post
I have lived in the apartment for almost four years, paying same rate.
Few days ago I received letter offering to sign new 12 months lease with $100 increase.
It's about time.

Quote:
I have never dealt with rent increases before.
Consider yourself lucky then.

Quote:
...how do I need to respond to the landlord considering above circumstances?
Do you want to stay or not? If yes... say yes. In writing. With a signed lease.

If/when you're ready to buy and then to actually close and move...
cross that bridge when you get to it.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:30 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
I have lived in the apartment for almost four years, paying same rate. Overall we're satisfied and we think we've been paying reasonable rent price. Private house, second floor, non-commercial landlord, $1050; had one year lease first year, and after that month to month.

Few days ago I received letter offering to sign new 12 months lease with $100 increase. Although the rent increase might be reasonable, I find timing of it little bit suspicious. I've been having continuous noise problems with first floor renters and I kept bringing it up to the landlord until he emailed that it was not his responsibility and I responded that it was his responsibility. After few days I received rent increase letter, and I believe he's just trying to get even but I doubt I can prove anything legally.

But anyway, my concern right now is the fact that I have to give answer by end of the month, and I have never dealt with rent increases before.
First, and most important thing that will make it uncomfortable for us is 12 months lease. For the last few months we've started thinking about buying a house, and although it is possible that we will stay another year in the apartment we rent, it is also possible that we may buy a house before. The problem with this is that even if we don't renew the lease, and have to find another rental property we will still most likely have to sign 12 months lease.
Second, I would like to negotiate to $1100 instead of $1150.

My question is how do I need to respond to the landlord considering above circumstances?
Is it smart to ask month to month but agreeing to increased rent?
Can I negotiate 6 months lease instead of 12?
Can I ask the landlord to give me more time to think?
How do I negotiate to $1100?

Our communications is mostly done through email.

Any helpful tips appreciated
You can ask for anything. It's up to the LL to agree.

Right now he's telling you he wants a year lease and $100 a month increase in rent. You can ask if he's negotiable to 1100 and 6 month lease. If he says no sign the new lease at his terms or give notice and vacate.

The noise isn't anything he can do. Other than ask the other tenants to step lightly or keep the noise down unless they are making noise off hours it's not anything the LL is responsible for.
You probably pissed him off with the it's your responsibility comment.

When I have a tenant I no longer want I simply give them notice. The easiest way to get rid of them is to send a notice of rent raise for a astronomical amount.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:00 PM

Thanks all for replies. If for example I agree and sign 12 months lease but before 12 months we find and buy a house, what are our options in this case? Is this something I and landlord can disclose in the lease?

Old 07-05-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

The noise isn't anything he can do. Other than ask the other tenants to step lightly or keep the noise down unless they are making noise off hours it's not anything the LL is responsible for.
Yes, off hours noise

Old 07-05-2017, 01:06 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Quote:
Thanks all for replies. If for example I agree and sign 12 months lease but before 12 months we find and buy a house, what are our options in this case? Is this something I and landlord can disclose in the lease?
Your lease or state law will dictate terms for early termination. But, it's something you should ask your landlord about, to see if they can include a provision for early termination.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:27 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
Yes, off hours noise
Call the police, noise isn't a LL problem. During the day there isn't generally noise ordinances except in extreme cases but at night it is the cops job to deal with those issues.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Call the police, noise isn't a LL problem. During the day there isn't generally noise ordinances except in extreme cases but at night it is the cops job to deal with those issues.
Yes, in a perfect world. Cops weren't much of influence. Dealt with them as well. If landlord lived in the same house, he would have evicted them right away. But anyway, it is what it is. I don't want to change this thread to neighbors issue.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:58 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
Yes, in a perfect world. Cops weren't much of influence. Dealt with them as well. If landlord lived in the same house, he would have evicted them right away. But anyway, it is what it is. I don't want to change this thread to neighbors issue.
Noise isn't a good enough reason to evict someone. I doubt your lease says you must be under a specific decibel level or anything of the sort. If there isn't a clause in the lease or law on the books about it then the LL can't enforce it. Only certain way for the LL to evict over noise is with repeated police reports; your lease should say something about remaining crime free or following the laws which is how the LL gets to evict over noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting