Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:04 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yup. That's right. But if it was excluded the LL isn't required to do anything. Unless AC is specifically written in your state law as a habitability issue like heat you are not legally required to do anything as long as you excluded the AC on your lease.

There are very few things that can go wrong with AC units. Usually neglect kills them.

The one thing I would be careful with is there are many shysters in that industry. Ask around because to a lot of companies the answer is to replace the whole AC and furnace for 10k.
Like any trade there are good and bad companies. Typically a service call runs 50/60 bucks. If you find a honest AC guy give him the work.

My rentals with one exception do not have AC units. And starting this year I exclude the AC from the amenities on the lease.
In Texas it is required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 05:16 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If AC was included in the lease the LL certainly does have to provide a functioning system.
Yes, that's if it was included

Old 07-24-2017, 07:26 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
1)........ Spend the $50 to have the unit serviced,........
Wow. People work cheap in your area. My HVAC guy charges $95 an hour, plus mileage, plus travel time. It would cost me $195 to have my AC checked out if there was nothing wrong with the unit.

Not that I wouldn't have the unit checked the first time the tenant complained.

OP, before you pay anyone to check the unit, go and see if the air filter is clean. Dirty air filter is a very common cause of AC and heat not working properly. Unless you live very far away, it is a lot cheaper for you to check the air filter yourself than to pay the HVAC guy $200 to change the air filter.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:49 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Wow. People work cheap in your area. My HVAC guy charges $95 an hour, plus mileage, plus travel time. It would cost me $195 to have my AC checked out if there was nothing wrong with the unit.

OP, before you pay anyone to check the unit, go and see if the air filter is clean. Dirty air filter is a very common cause of AC and heat not working properly. Unless you live very far away, it is a lot cheaper for you to check the air filter yourself than to pay the HVAC guy $200 to change the air filter.
Usually that $50 is the I am trying to get my foot in the door advertised price. I guarantee that there will be all sorts of things the unit needs. Most units don't get serviced at all. What's funny is it doesn't take much to services unit. It's mostly cleaning out weeds dirt cobwebs spiders leaves and cleaning coils.
What kills AC units is detritus that holds water/moisture. It corrodes the metals the AC unit is made of and the wiring or connections.

There are very few working parts to the unit. The most common failures are disconnects and capacitors.

Biggest mistake people make with AC units is to place bushes or trees around the unit so it's hidden. AC units need airflow. You start putting bushes and trees around you get not inky a bstruction, but a lot of leaves and flower petals getting sucked n the coils or falling inside the unit

I had three instances where the failed part was a disconnect or a capacitor. The homeowner called a AC guy and the determination was that a new unit was needed. Each time. Three different people these people are friends of mine. I was able to repair it with less than $70 in parts with one exception. And that was because it was 9 pm and nothing was open. But it was fixed the next day.

If you are required to provide AC either by state law or lease agreement then send out a repair man to fix it. Maybe it's low on freon but that would make the unit simply not work. Since it's cooling 20* lower it's working. But there are a lot more factors like outsourcing dectemp, size of house, insulation or lack of. The AC may be working fine.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:56 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

The company is Bell Air Conditioning and I have referred people to them on this site before because they have great rates and do good work. They have 5 stars on every review site out there and I'd have added to it if I did that sort of thing. The most expensive routine maintenance I've been quoted by other places is $100. Some stuff out here is just cheaper like yard clean up is about $50 or I can get an oil change, new filter and all, for $13 if I want to drop my car off all day or $20 at most places if I wait 30-45 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Usually that $50 is the I am trying to get my foot in the door advertised price. I guarantee that there will be all sorts of things the unit needs.
You would be wrong. Over the last 4 years using them they have suggested 6 repairs on about 80 service calls with the biggest repair being a blower motor for $600 and the smallest was some electrical connection thing for $200 (something that makes contact to turn the outside unit on the contacts were worn after 7 years). They showed me what was needing repaired and gave me an estimated life expectancy of the part and what signs of failure would be if I didn't repair it. It is just a good honest company and I'd happily pay them double for what they do.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
The company is Bell Air Conditioning and I have referred people to them on this site before because they have great rates and do good work. They have 5 stars on every review site out there and I'd have added to it if I did that sort of thing. The most expensive routine maintenance I've been quoted by other places is $100. Some stuff out here is just cheaper like yard clean up is about $50 or I can get an oil change, new filter and all, for $13 if I want to drop my car off all day or $20 at most places if I wait 30-45 minutes.

You would be wrong. Over the last 4 years using them they have suggested 6 repairs on about 80 service calls with the biggest repair being a blower motor for $600 and the smallest was some electrical connection thing for $200 (something that makes contact to turn the outside unit on the contacts were worn after 7 years). They showed me what was needing repaired and gave me an estimated life expectancy of the part and what signs of failure would be if I didn't repair it. It is just a good honest company and I'd happily pay them double for what they do.
No dude I'm not wrong. Usually the advertised $50 specials mailers or ads are a get my foot in the door tactic that a lot of AC companies use. Good AC companies don't need to advertise using these sales gimmicks. They're too busy getting referrals from real customers and dont need the "$50 special price".

You found a good AC company. Those aren't the companies I'm referring to. Usually the "this one time special just for you" companies are here one day gone tomorrow. I have a AC guy who takes care of my AC units (personal and rental) he never had a advertisement. I got him through a referral. Never needed anyone else. He has a lot of new customers who say we'll do andvso company gave me a free check up and said I needed a total replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting