Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 12:59 PM

18 posts, read 19,340 times

Advertisements

Thank-you everyone for your comments and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 01:05 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
A friend who owns several rentals will take $100 a month off his tenants' rent when the property is on the market ..........
$100 less on the rent is a good motivator for the tenant to prevent the property from selling so that the cheap rent continues. There are plenty of ways to sabotage a showing that do not involve refusing entry.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:35 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
$100 less on the rent is a good motivator for the tenant to prevent the property from selling so that the cheap rent continues. There are plenty of ways to sabotage a showing that do not involve refusing entry.
You cut off where I said it had to be clean and ready for showings. He waits until the tenants are month to month. If they sabotage, they are out. So, how would that benefit them at all?

Since the market it up, he has listed a few of his properties as leases have expired. They are all priced at the top of the market. If they sell, he makes a nice profit since he bought them when the market was at/near the bottom. If they don't sell after a few months, he takes them off the market. It the tenant is still there and he wants to keep them, they are offered a year lease or to continue month to month at the regular rate, if not he looks for a new tenant.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:03 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureshock View Post
This has been going on for more than 8 months.
How much longer until their lease is up?
How much are you willing to pay them to leave early?

Quote:
What rights do I have?
What rights do the tenants have to peaceful use and occupancy?

Old 07-25-2017, 09:39 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureshock View Post
Yes my property manager put wording in stating the condo can be shown with 24 hours notice. He reports back to me that the tenant actually has physically barred entry. The tenant has allowed some showings, just enough, in my property manager's opinion, to make eviction unlikely.
If the wording is in the lease, (as and FYI, these are the type of details you should disclose when seeking assistance upfront), you have satisfied the legal requirements of Chapter 186 Section 15B, so you have the right to entry with 24 hour notice.

If the tenant is barring entry after giving them proper notice, your recourse is to terminate the lease (if on a month to month) or go the eviction route (if still with a valid lease). However, you mentioned that they were allowing showings but not now AND that your PM thinks they have allowed enough to make an eviction unlikely. Did the PM explain their reasoning? The only legitimate reasons tenants would have (in your state based on case law) is you have been showing outside normal business hours or have been showing way too much, or asking for certain accommodations for the showing that makes your continued request a nuisance.

Can you elaborate more on why the PM is taking this position (after you ask unless you already know why) regarding the tenant and eviction?

Old 07-26-2017, 10:14 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
My Realtor hands out Starbucks cards when ever tenants agree to short notice showing.

I also credit one weeks rent at the close to tenants that have been cooperative.

It is the tenants home and no matter how the process goes... it is an intrusion so being respectful with a small incentive can pave the way.

Sounds like whatever goodwill that may have existed is no more.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:56 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
However, you mentioned that they were allowing showings but not now AND that your PM thinks they have allowed enough to make an eviction unlikely. Did the PM explain their reasoning? The only legitimate reasons tenants would have (in your state based on case law) is you have been showing outside normal business hours or have been showing way too much, or asking for certain accommodations for the showing that makes your continued request a nuisance.
It might be good to ask the tenant. Maybe the PM has bothered them 100 times to show the condo and they are d-o-n-e. Maybe they told the PM no on those occasions when they say the renters blocked the door. It sounds like there could be another side of this story.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:29 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
When I get pressed to work with a tenant on showings, I let them tell me when the property will be accessible with 24 hours notice.
So, they give me days and times, and they get 24 hours notice to approve or decline.

But, if I was selling a rental, I would sell a clean vacant rental. Who needs to bother a tenant with showings?

Old 07-27-2017, 09:34 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
It can be hard to have a vacant rental in cities where I operate... we have rent control and just cause eviction statute... only in very narrowly defined situations can a tenant be asked to leave and the city must be first notified...

I'm debating right now whether to sell a duplex right now... just happen to have both units vacant... was not planned but both renters moved on their own... one work and one family.

Rent Control is actually a motivating factor to consider selling.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:26 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
I would speak with a local lawyer. You may be able to sue the tenant for impeding the sale of the property or interfering with a business transaction. A simple letter from an attorney would likely change the tenants behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting