Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 12:39 PM

29 posts, read 65,595 times

Advertisements

Alright so here is my situation in a quick summary. Im looking to relocate to Massachusetts this Sept. my apartment lease is up at that time and so I am going to have to make my transition as smooth as possible. Currently I am located in the Tampa Bay area of Florida and I guess that I have a little bit of time to play with but not much since time has a tendency to go bye quickly. My issue here is that although I will have first, last and security available I am not so sure I will have a solid job landed and may have to resort to picking up a temp job as a quick fix so I wont exactly have job verification for the new apartment I will be trying to get into. Are there ways around this hurdle that anyone is aware of or is this too much of an unorthodox way to be handling things and bring nothing but an excruciating headache for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 12:49 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
What's your rental history look like? Good payments, no lates? No unreasonable damages? Good references? If it's all golden, you can probably find a private owner to rent to you.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:14 PM

Default RoaminRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
What's your rental history look like? Good payments, no lates? No unreasonable damages? Good references? If it's all golden, you can probably find a private owner to rent to you.

Good payments a couple of lates and Im currently on my second yearly lease which is up by the end of Sept. and there is no unreasonable damages at all. My credit is a little rough due to falling behind on student loans but thats the worst of it. Im not currently aware of a websight that connects you to private owners who are interested in renting to tenants.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:27 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,638 times
Try Craigs list - private owners are much easier to deal with in those circumstances than a management company/realtor.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:20 AM

203 posts, read 927,643 times
First and last is usually all that's required for a room or basement apartment in a private home. Probably a better way to go until your sure of your job stability and happiness in a new location. Instead of being stuck in a year lease

Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 AM

630 posts, read 2,226,740 times
I moved to MA from another state, if you find the apartment before you leave you can use your current employment for the verification. I did this since I was getting a job, but did not have an offer letter for job verification. I only paid for first plus a small deposit (about 25% of the monthly rent) and I'm in a new apartment complex.

I tried to make my smooth as well, but something always seems to go wrong. So I would say expect the unexpected, nothing ever goes exactly as planned.

Best wishes on your relocation and your job search.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:13 PM

You know I actually thought about the possibility of looking into craigslist for possible openings for an apt. I will definately be trying to prepare myself for any unforseen outcomes and in the meanwhile I just wanted to say thanks for the input it was helpfull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting