Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 06:21 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,505,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I'm not saying Ultrarunner isn't a good landlord. Far from it. But, renting in the most tenant friendly market in the country, with rent control and a host of other regulations that he's mentioned slowly pushing him away from residential real estate business, I would bet that a LOT of people don't leave rentals once they have a good one.
Rent control doesn't exist in my neck of the woods. Lots of people here only do commercial rentals because it's much easier. I have a friend who is getting out of his apartment rentals...costs too much and takes too much work.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 07:32 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
The major shift occurred when Just Cause Eviction became law...

Prior to Just Cause it was simple to send a problem tenant on his or her way... simply give a 30 day notice or not renew the lease... avoided being adversarial.

Now, a residential rental owner must document the cause for not renewing or asking a tenant to leave and the reason must be on a narrowly defined city approved list.

If I were to allege illegal Drug activity the burden is on me to prove it... which can be near impossible if minors are involved as the police records are sealed...

The reality is what landlord is going to be around long by asking model tenants to vacate and still be in the Housing Provider Business?

As Residential Property owner rights continue to be infringed there are consequences.

Some large properties go Condo... 1 to 4 units may go owner occupied.

Again... if I needed to install garage door openers to remain competitive it would certainly be considered...

As it is in San Francisco... just having off street parking is a huge plus... and having a garage included is a miracle... garages are often rented separate from units... they are just that valuable here.

I commend the original poster for acting prior to renting... if it is a problem I would want to know upfront.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:23 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,020,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Did you? For a landlord to be held liable they must be negligent in maintaining property and the negligence must result in the injury.

Which would be yet another reason for a landlord not to install one. Should an opener's safety sensors fail and result in an injury they could be liable if they knew about but ignored the problem.
Tenant Injuries: Landlord Liability and Insurance FAQ | Nolo.com
This is accurate.

I spent 20 years of my life as an insurance defense and coverage attorney and not even the ambulance chasers would take this dog. You have to be able to at least allege a colorable claim, meaning some theory by which the landlord would be at fault. That would mean negligence, not just someone who didn't like having to raise and lower a manually opening garage door - and even if you injured yourself opening it, if it was functioning properly, there was no negligence by the landlord.

A plaintiff attorney generally takes cases on contingency, which means they have to believe there is SOME change, even if not that high, that they could win, a good enough chance to try to get a settlement. Otherwise, they are throwing away their own money. In this case, the claim would be denied outright by the insurance company, and if they bothered to file suit, it would get thrown out on a motion for summary judgment for failure to state a prima facie case of negligence.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:07 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,239,508 times
I can't imagine not having a garage door opener. If the LL wanted or cared about an opener it would already be installed. If you asked me to do that I'd move on to the next person.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The major shift occurred when Just Cause Eviction became law...

Prior to Just Cause it was simple to send a problem tenant on his or her way... simply give a 30 day notice or not renew the lease... avoided being adversarial.

Now, a residential rental owner must document the cause for not renewing or asking a tenant to leave and the reason must be on a narrowly defined city approved list.

If I were to allege illegal Drug activity the burden is on me to prove it... which can be near impossible if minors are involved as the police records are sealed...

The reality is what landlord is going to be around long by asking model tenants to vacate and still be in the Housing Provider Business?

As Residential Property owner rights continue to be infringed there are consequences.

Some large properties go Condo... 1 to 4 units may go owner occupied.

Again... if I needed to install garage door openers to remain competitive it would certainly be considered...

As it is in San Francisco... just having off street parking is a huge plus... and having a garage included is a miracle... garages are often rented separate from units... they are just that valuable here.

I commend the original poster for acting prior to renting... if it is a problem I would want to know upfront.
So basically any loser can now stick around and be forced to be your problem. Doesn't pay rent for 6 months? Oh no worries that's your problem. This can only further decrease rental properties there. Who would want no way of getting rid of someone? Some tenants truly are the tenant from hell.

I used to work in property management and couldn't believe what judges let tenants get away with. No exaggeration...6 months no rent paid oh we need more time....judge gave 3 months more. 3 months later back in court and they are still singing their sob story. judge gives them 2 more months. How is a mortgage or taxes supposed to be paid when the tenants aren't paying rent? Oh these people TRASH apartments. I never saw anyone remove door trim until this tenant. Holes in every single door. Took over a year to actually evict her. The repair bill was more than the year's worth of rent she never paid. And people wonder why I got out of property management.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:19 PM

15,630 posts, read 26,110,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
So basically any loser can now stick around and be forced to be your problem. Doesn't pay rent for 6 months? Oh no worries that's your problem. This can only further decrease rental properties there. Who would want no way of getting rid of someone? Some tenants truly are the tenant from hell.

I used to work in property management and couldn't believe what judges let tenants get away with. No exaggeration...6 months no rent paid oh we need more time....judge gave 3 months more. 3 months later back in court and they are still singing their sob story. judge gives them 2 more months. How is a mortgage or taxes supposed to be paid when the tenants aren't paying rent? Oh these people TRASH apartments. I never saw anyone remove door trim until this tenant. Holes in every single door. Took over a year to actually evict her. The repair bill was more than the year's worth of rent she never paid. And people wonder why I got out of property management.
Can't foreclose on owners who pull that on HOAs either....one of my buildings has two owners who owe over 100K. Nothing's going on.

People.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Can't foreclose on owners who pull that on HOAs either....one of my buildings has two owners who owe over 100K. Nothing's going on.

People.
Oh that sucks! That means EVERYONE else is paying for those losers. That's a shame. You knows there's fees when you purchase in a HOA community. Too bad the law hasn't fixed this.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What's the deal with houses having garages but no garage door openers? I'm on the hunt for a rental and I can't believe how often I see this. Doesn't that cancel out the purpose of having a garage in the first place?

If I find a rental with a fence (), I'm going to ask the owner if they would mind if I had a garage door opener installed for a deduction off the rent for the cost of the unit/installation. I've seen quotes around $300 installed.

As an owner, would you have a problem with this?
One consideration is that garage door openers for attached garages might compromise entry points into houses
It can be fairly easy for burglars to get a garage door opener to work by keying in the codes or even by former renter who might have cloned another remote...

Old 08-04-2017, 04:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,675,218 times
The fact is not that the tenant wants a door opener. The facts are, the prospective tenant wanted the property owner to provide something the tenant wants, and wants the owner to pay for it.

The property owner is wise enough they does not want to make this accommodation, as he does not allow garage door openers on his rentals.

As someone that has managed many rentals (all nice middle class properties) and as president of a large county wide rental owners and managers association, having listened to top real estate attorneys speak on this subject at annual all day conference on this subject and their recommendation no garage door openers I agree with the owner. Just another liability, and maintenance problem eliminated. If the OP does not accept this, he/she can rent somewhere else.

That is really the end of the story of garage door openers. There is really nothing else to discuss.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,305,232 times
The traditional garage door opener is called a human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting