Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 11:03 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times

Advertisements

What's the deal with houses having garages but no garage door openers? I'm on the hunt for a rental and I can't believe how often I see this. Doesn't that cancel out the purpose of having a garage in the first place?

If I find a rental with a fence (), I'm going to ask the owner if they would mind if I had a garage door opener installed for a deduction off the rent for the cost of the unit/installation. I've seen quotes around $300 installed.

As an owner, would you have a problem with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 11:12 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
OP, it's something else that can break, plus some garages don't have electricity. If there is an outside light, it might be wired directly from the pole.

If you do find a suitable garage, you can always ask the landlord, but look it over, first. The older garages with the heavy wooden doors aren't always the best candidates for installing an opener for only $300. Some need a lot more work, like $900, which is why it was never done.

Do you lift weights as part of your fitness program? If so, consider lifting the door up and down as part of your routine.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:23 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
I grew up in Australia sans a garage door opener. Newer houses had them but they weren't as widespread as here in the U.S. It was a bit of a pain but doable.

Our house now does have a garage door opener but it's been broken for over a year. Hubby doesn't mind doing it manually (only his two cars get the garage, not mine) so he hasn't bothered getting it repaired.

A garage keeps your car secure and out of the elements. So I don't think the lack of a garage door opener negates their purpose, it just makes it a bit more invonvenient.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:24 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
If I wanted to spend money on a garage door opener in a rental unit, then I would. So I would decline a tenant's offer to install one and deduct from rent. There is no benefit to the landlord in this situation. Just more headache/hassle in the long run.

(And this is all hypothetical as I am not a landlord and have zero desire to be one. Just pointing out that this makes zero sense from a landlord's perspective.)

Old 07-30-2017, 11:26 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What's the deal with houses having garages but no garage door openers? I'm on the hunt for a rental and I can't believe how often I see this. Doesn't that cancel out the purpose of having a garage in the first place?

If I find a rental with a fence (), I'm going to ask the owner if they would mind if I had a garage door opener installed for a deduction off the rent for the cost of the unit/installation. I've seen quotes around $300 installed.

As an owner, would you have a problem with this?
No the purpose of the garage is to store a car or other items. The garage door opener is a modern convenience so that you don't have to get out of your car to open the door.

My personal home was built in the 1960's and didn't have garage door openers when we bought the house because it was insanely difficult to put them in due to low clearance. There are requirements for openers. We had to pay a lot more to get low clearance openers and they weren't easy to install. We had to pay an installer to do it because it was complicated.

So, not it doesn't just cost $300. If you have a new modern garage with proper clearances that were built for openers, not a problem. Not so for older homes.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:29 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
For years we lived with a manual (wood)garage door, it was acceptable, then we upgraded to a new door with opener, it was great, but not a necessity. Now we have moved.& only have a car port lol so no door at all, that's super easy.

eta: And the price to install the new electronic door was almost $2000

Old 07-30-2017, 11:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
When I bought our house it had no garage opener. It's not a requirement to have one. It's just a expected convenience. People think it's required. It isn't.
I just put one in. Got a Ryobi one. Works great.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
If I wanted to spend money on a garage door opener in a rental unit, then I would. So I would decline a tenant's offer to install one and deduct from rent. There is no benefit to the landlord in this situation. Just more headache/hassle in the long run.

(And this is all hypothetical as I am not a landlord and have zero desire to be one. Just pointing out that this makes zero sense from a landlord's perspective.)
Wait!?! From an owner's perspective, wouldn't it be seen as a physical improvement that will add value to the home for future tenants? I would use professional installers so the job is done correctly.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:06 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:
Wait!?! From an owner's perspective, wouldn't it be seen as a physical improvement that will add value to the home for future tenants? I would use professional installers so the job is done correctly.
The owner does not have to allow you to do anything to the place--whether you see value in it or not. The owner certainly does not have to give you a credit for installing something you want. Unless you live in the snow belt, you're overestimating the value added to the place. It' minimal.

Consider the pain in the posterior this will be in the future for the owner. Tenant A moves out without leaving the remote openers. New tenant complains and demands owner purchases new remotes. The cycle of purchasing new remotes adds to the owners costs and is never ending.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:12 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
No.

Just more things that can go wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting