Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:44 PM

35 posts, read 29,448 times

Advertisements

I just talked to a lawyer - he does have a good chance at getting the apt, although he said he could aggressively represent me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 10:04 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdugan85 View Post
I just talked to a lawyer - he does have a good chance at getting the apt, although he said he could aggressively represent me.
As the plot thickens.

Of course he "could aggressively represent you". He is a lawyer! They LOVE to suck people dry, chew them up and spit them out. Lawyer knows you don't have a chance in hell and sees how crazy you are to think you even possibly have a chance. So lawyer figures if you are that crazy then why not play along, bat you around for awhile and take you for everything you've got and make some easy money? Duh.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:17 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
Quote:
Like I said I'm going to snoop around his room and ill find something incriminating .
You can't snoop in his room. That's his private domain.
You saying that you're her family, end of story would be more valid if she owned the place but you think you're entitled to a rental? So strange.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:19 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
Quote:
He won't do that, if he loves my mom as much as she says he would never her in that situation. Besides, if she gets kicked out so does he.
Lol, you want to kick him out anyway so what's the difference to him if everyone gets kicked out?
Maybe if you loved your mom, you wouldn't be causing drama for her over something that you're not getting anyway.
You talked to a lawyer at 11:30pm? I'm sure he's top notch.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:38 AM

35 posts, read 29,448 times
It's not like he can call the cops if I do some looking..it's her apt.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:04 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
Quote:
She doesn't own the place, she only rents it. And it is HIS room that he pays rent for and HIS private property that you plan on snooping through. You are not allowed in that room nor do you have any right to go through his things! Your mother is breaching her lease by renting to him as it is so why in the world would you even attempt to do anything to jeopardize your mother's well being? All that occupant has to do if he finds out you were in his room is to call the cops or the LL and report you and/or your mother.

Are you seriously kidding me here? This has GOT to be some kind of a sick joke you are playing because no one in their right mind does all the things that you have said you want to do or plan to do.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:46 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't believe any of this but it was an amusing 5 minute time suck to read through it.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:18 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
if nothing else ,those who didn't understand how succession works now got a good education in the requirements needed .

we both live in a rent stabilized apartment and own others as investments so we experienced both sides , the good and the bad .

my wife has lived in our apartment for 35 years . but because of constant capital improvements , the pool ,the tennis courts we are pretty much near market .

on the other hand we owned 9 apartments in a swanky central park co-op with original rent stabilized tenants who didn't buy at the time of conversion . we offered 100k to anyone who moved out so we could sell .

7 of the 9 took advantage and moved .

the last 2 are not going any where so we are just blowing the apartments out at 50 cents on the dollar to any investors who want to wait for the tenants to move or die . they have no one else in the apartment with them . the super watches pretty carefully for even roommates appearing who are not approved . .

the building is quite famous and over looks central park so the apartments are pricey . there are only a handful of older tenants left who did not buy .cost sharing with roommates is pretty much non existent in the building because roommates have to be board approved .

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-04-2017 at 03:54 AM..

Old 08-04-2017, 06:49 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
You're pretty clueless about landlord/tenant relationships and laws. If you somehow finagle you're way into taking over her apartment, you'd be wise to hire someone to manage the property for you. But then any property manager would be a fool to commit fraud.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:16 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
I bet the op does not know he can't sublet for more than 10% more than they pay in rent except for a small furniture charge of 10% above if fully furnished . if they charge more than they pay they are liable for paying back 3x the over charge to the tenant .

I bet he thought he can just charge market . ha ha ha ha

The Costs of Subletting
Subletting can never, for a Rent Stabilized tenant, be about making a profit on the Landlord’s real estate.
The owner may charge the prime tenant the sublet allowance in effect at the start of the lease, if the lease is a renewal lease. The allowance is established by the New York City Rent Guidelines Board Order. The prime tenant may pass this sublet allowance along to the subtenant.
If the prime tenant sublets the apartment fully furnished, the prime tenant may charge an additional rent increase for the use of the furniture. This increase may not exceed ten percent of the lawful rent.
The prime tenant may not demand "key money" or overcharge the subtenant. If the prime tenant overcharges the subtenant, the subtenant may file a "Tenant's Complaint of Rent Overcharge and/or Excess Security Deposit" with DHCR. If the DHCR finds that the prime tenant has overcharged the subtenant, the prime tenant will be required to refund to the subtenant three times the overcharge.

Sublet Allowance
The increase landlords are allowed to charge when a rent stabilized apartment is sublet by the primary tenant to another tenant on or after October 1, 2016 and on or before September 30, 2017 shall be 10%.

https://www.landlordsny.com/blog/sub...ized-apartment

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-04-2017 at 08:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting