Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 05:11 PM

337 posts, read 276,502 times

Advertisements

I feel bad about having to always go above my on site property manager about things, but I feel like I always have to after I speak to her because he is difficult to talk to. I rent with a company that has like 30 properties throughout my city. Most of the properties have live in on site managers who are our go to people for anything. Mine is a bit of a witch. I know I'm not the only one who has had issues either due to the Yelp reviews specifically on her. I had a problem with my plumbing once, termite problems, and problems with my screen door falling off 3x. Nothing was ever done in a timely manner and she would never communicate anything to me. I had to always be the one contacting her and when I couldn't get a response from her, I would always have to go to one of the main supervisors in the management office (they were always easy to deal with).

I received a couple days ago taped to my door a letter about renewing my lease (this is how it is done in this building). It was very wordy. To make it short on here, it gave the price for the new lease (exactly what I am paying now) and then next to it what the price would be if I went month to month. It said I need to give 30 days notice, but if I want to take what they call a "lease extender" I would have to give a 15 days notice. According to the paper, there would be no difference in the price of a lease renewal or lease extender.

To verify that I understood this, I emailed the on site manager about if I have 30 days to decide on renewing (for the same price) or taking a month to month. She said I only have 15 days to decide if I want a new lease. I asked her for clarification. Her response was "I made myself clear how much time you have".

I called up the main supervisor and asked her what I asked the on site manager. She said I have 30 days and that there would be no difference in price whether renewing today or in 30 days and that the 15 days was just a courtesy thing (so no difference in renewing a 12 month lease whether today or in 30 days).

Why couldn't the manager just say that??? Assuming I end up renewing (if I stay in my city I will despite the awful manager because my rent is fairly reasonable for the area) should I just keep going about my way- going through the onsite manager but know that I have to end up going above her, or actually complain to management about her? It's awkward because she lives 2 doors down from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 05:39 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
WOW You do seem confused?? Why did you even bother to ask you already know you are staying. Let them know this NOW Get it Done! IF you don't tell them now & keep procrastinating you may forget then where will you be?

My mgr puts the 1st notice on my door 120 days ahead then again at 60 days.... Lease is Signed at 30 days!

Mgr is Not responsible for maintenance... My lease says "Non- Emergency upkeep/repairs notify the office in Writing" Then the mgr just put the written notice on the maintenance guys desk! He gets to the problem in a timely manner

Old 08-02-2017, 05:43 PM

Are you asking me if I'm confused or trying to insult me? I really don't know.

I might not be staying in my city due to an opportunity that might occur else where but won't know until closer to the 30 days.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:50 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Since you don't / wont know do to a job option then pick the Lease Extender. IF you end up Not getting the job let them know you want the years lease at that time... Good Luck with the Job

Old 08-02-2017, 05:53 PM

What's the point in choosing a lease extender over a year lease if both are 12 months and at the same price?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:01 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skankhunt42 View Post
What's the point in choosing a lease extender over a year lease if both are 12 months and at the same price?
Don't know what the difference is. I have never heard of a "lease extender". It could mean different things in different states and some states may not even have them. I suggest that you call the person above your PM and ask for a good explanation (in writing preferably) if you are not sure.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Don't know what the difference is. I have never heard of a "lease extender". It could mean different things in different states and some states may not even have them. I suggest that you call the person above your PM and ask for a good explanation (in writing preferably) if you are not sure.
Yeah that's why I asked the person above the PM. I have never heard that term used before. I got the clear answer from the person above her who said that there would not be in an increase in my rent if I waited 30 days or 15 days. I just know if I end up staying here, I would have to continue going through my on site manager. I've saved emails between her and I in which she is rather rude, but I don't want to file a complaint against her being that she live on site. I mean he probably has figured out that me and others who live here know she is useless. I just would prefer never having to go through her again.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:15 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Quote:
Yeah that's why I asked the person above the PM. I have never heard that term used before. I got the clear answer from the person above her who said that there would not be in an increase in my rent if I waited 30 days or 15 days. I just know if I end up staying here, I would have to continue going through my on site manager. I've saved emails between her and I in which she is rather rude, but I don't want to file a complaint against her being that she live on site. I mean he probably has figured out that me and others who live here know she is useless. I just would prefer never having to go through her again.

Well, you either live with it or go above her and complain and see what happens, or move. You don't really have any other choices.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:40 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,691 times
Quote:
I feel bad about having to always go above my on site property manager about things, but I feel like I always have to after I speak to her because he is difficult to talk to. I rent with a company that has like 30 properties throughout my city. Most of the properties have live in on site managers who are our go to people for anything. Mine is a bit of a witch. I know I'm not the only one who has had issues either due to the Yelp reviews specifically on her. I had a problem with my plumbing once, termite problems, and problems with my screen door falling off 3x. Nothing was ever done in a timely manner and she would never communicate anything to me. I had to always be the one contacting her and when I couldn't get a response from her, I would always have to go to one of the main supervisors in the management office (they were always easy to deal with).

I received a couple days ago taped to my door a letter about renewing my lease (this is how it is done in this building). It was very wordy. To make it short on here, it gave the price for the new lease (exactly what I am paying now) and then next to it what the price would be if I went month to month. It said I need to give 30 days notice, but if I want to take what they call a "lease extender" I would have to give a 15 days notice. According to the paper, there would be no difference in the price of a lease renewal or lease extender.

To verify that I understood this, I emailed the on site manager about if I have 30 days to decide on renewing (for the same price) or taking a month to month. She said I only have 15 days to decide if I want a new lease. I asked her for clarification. Her response was "I made myself clear how much time you have".

I called up the main supervisor and asked her what I asked the on site manager. She said I have 30 days and that there would be no difference in price whether renewing today or in 30 days and that the 15 days was just a courtesy thing (so no difference in renewing a 12 month lease whether today or in 30 days).

Why couldn't the manager just say that??? Assuming I end up renewing (if I stay in my city I will despite the awful manager because my rent is fairly reasonable for the area) should I just keep going about my way- going through the onsite manager but know that I have to end up going above her, or actually complain to management about her? It's awkward because she lives 2 doors down from me.

while i feel for you in that situation, i wish i had any onsite manager. not a bad area or anything, but some of these people are from the twilight zone.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
while i feel for you in that situation, i wish i had any onsite manager. not a bad area or anything, but some of these people are from the twilight zone.
It's very strange how on Yelp many people (through this property management company) raved about their on site managers versus mine is one of the few awful ones. I really have no idea how she even got this job because she isn't good at it whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting