Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 10:41 PM

191 posts, read 160,170 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just put a holding deposit on an apartment I'd like, but the landlord wrote the disclosure notice (~ draft lease) as "$1,500/mo plus $50/mo parking" while the ad says "$1,495/mo and includes parking". I noticed the number was $5 off (not a big deal), but I went back to make sure I wasn't going crazy and noticed the $50 he added on. Together that's $660/yr I was bait-and-switched on...

What should I do? Anything? It's my fault for not noticing, but it is really stressing me out... am I going to have similar problems in the future? Were they being misleading on any other costs? Do all landlords nickel-and-dime like this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 10:55 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,653,576 times
It is a bait-and-switch if the ad clearly states one thing and you put a holding deposit down based on the information in that ad and now they have changed things. Or, did you actually have a chance to read that draft lease BEFORE you paid the holding deposit? If so, that may change things.

If you didn't have the draft lease to read before you paid the holding deposit then ask for your money back. If they won't give it to you tell them you will sue them in court for blatant false advertising and/or bait-and-switch because the ad specifically says otherwise and you have the ad for proof to take to court. If anything, they had a chance to tell you any changes before you paid that holding deposit but they didn't.

And if you want to stay then be prepared for more crap that they may pull on you while living there.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:23 PM

He drafted the disclosure in front of me and I signed it, so I don't think I have many legal options. It has been a long, long week for me and a very competitive rent environment here in Seattle; I faltered. I will be printing advertisements and bringing them with me in the future.

I can handle the $660/yr, despite that effectively being a 3.67% increase over the listed rent. Obviously, the behavior is disconcerting. I will have to broach the topic with him, good fences et al.

What else do I have to watch out for? Should I throw his Utilities estimates out the window?

Sheesh. Apartment hunting sucks.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:35 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,653,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillmore241 View Post
He drafted the disclosure in front of me and I signed it, so I don't think I have many legal options. It has been a long, long week for me and a very competitive rent environment here in Seattle; I faltered. I will be printing advertisements and bringing them with me in the future.

I can handle the $660/yr, despite that effectively being a 3.67% increase over the listed rent. Obviously, the behavior is disconcerting. I will have to broach the topic with him, good fences et al.

What else do I have to watch out for? Should I throw his Utilities estimates out the window?

Sheesh. Apartment hunting sucks.
Yes, it can suck, especially in competitive markets where people's options are limited and everyone gets rather desperate.

As far as utilities, can't you look up the average utility costs from the previous tenant on the utility's website? It won't show you their bills or what they actually paid or who even lived there but in our city we can put in any address (don't need anyone's name) and we can get the highest and lowest monthly amounts for a property/apt and a monthly average. I don't think any LL actually knows what a tenant's bills are because they don't pay them. The only way they might know is if they ask the tenant or if the tenant happens to mention it.

Next time don't EVER sign anything unless you have read it VERY carefully. Hard lesson learned.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:00 AM

Hmm, I'll have to look into the min/max Utilities. On previous properties I tried to get ballpark ranges and the LL/provider wouldn't help me because that was still too specific.

The manager lives on-site so he would know. He seems like an ok guy, maybe, so this could be an honest mistake (though, I bet if he admits one it'll be a mistake on the ad and not a mistake on the lease disclosure).

Eh, signing things is a sliding scale... wasn't buying a car or in a military recruiters office... in fact, I haven't put down any non-refundable money, yet... I could back out (which would really **** the manager off), but I need a place to live imminently and it would cause me duress, too.

Just not sure whether this is a serious red flag or not. I could always terminate the lease and move out early if I absolutely had to later.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:51 AM

I'm going to call the landlord and ask about the discrepancy.

Any opinions on when/whether I should back out?

Sketched out with floating numbers...

Old 08-03-2017, 01:36 PM

13,632 posts, read 12,253,936 times
I walked out of a PM's office once...I had made the appointment a week ahead of time, printed the ad, then get the whole "well, specials change..."

What a crock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting