Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 02:58 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,134 times

Advertisements

I need to know from Rabbit owners if a rabbit can ruin a home? Provided it is pet rabbit, what are the damages that a rabbit can cause inside and outside the property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 03:27 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Urine and chewing. They will chew baseboards.

They also chew wires but aside from a window unit AC once I can't think of anything I've rented in an unfurnished unit that had an exposed cord.

Some say they can be litter box trained. Not sure on that. Take as much deposit as you would for a cat or dog and confirm that its a caged rabbit and not given range of the house.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:33 PM

539 posts, read 566,092 times
Yeah. Rabbits can really destroy property if the owners dont properly care for it, and assuming they treat it like a free range house rabbit. Yes, I have a rabbit and its semi free range. If a person doesn't know how to train a rabbit, its urine can permeate and destroy everything like cat urine. They chew like dogs. They rip up and pull carpet. Dig at hard wood floors. Chew trimming. Peel the paint off the walls. Outside? They dig holes as bad as dogs. If not worse because of the tunnel system they eventually create. Fences dont mean anything because they can dig. They're personalities are like cats. My rabbit likes to pee on my partners blanket and leaves mine spotless. If they somehow squeeze in between the walls you can kiss your electrical system goodbye.

Some people can find and train good rabbits. Some rabbits can't be trained. Some are wonderful and act like part of the family and can follow commands. But an untrained unsupervised rabbit is just as bad as a peeing cat and chewy dog combined, for a lifetime if not taken care of right away.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:48 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,072 times
What they said above. And when determining the deposit amount include the fact that:

They will chew on the doors and door frames. They will also chew on the bottom for the cabinets and on the cabinet doors.

They will chew the baseboard to get into the wall. Once in the wall they chew on the wires and you may have an electrical fire, or just need to replace the electrical system.

They can chew on electrical cords like to the tv or a lamp and start a fire.

They chew on carpet and will pull out the pad if they can get to it.

New kitchen and bath cabinets...new carpet...new flooring from the pee....new electrical,,.,or a whole new house...

Old 08-17-2017, 06:46 PM

8,881 posts, read 5,364,104 times
Had a rabbit as a child. Yes, they can be trained to use a litter box, however like many cats if it's not kept spotless they will pee elsewhere. It should also be spayed/neutered .... this will reduce the chances of peeing inappropriately. They need to chew, and can do a lot of damage to wood.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:31 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,134 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone.. Much appreciated.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Actually funny enough this has been very helpful. I had a applicant that said they have outdoor rabbits. I wasn't sure of the type of damage rabbits can cause but theire basically a huge fat rodent right?

Old 08-18-2017, 02:34 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Pee, poop, chewing, rotting carcass (if it gets stuck somewhere and can't find it).

Old 08-18-2017, 02:49 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
If the rabbit is allowed to run around out of its cage, it can chew, scratch, pee, poop, dig.

As long as the owner watches like a hawk, damage can be prevented. When I had a rabbit, I would let it hop around for some play time, most days. I kept a close eye on him. The only things that happened were peeing on my pillow or in a corner, or a few scattered poop pellets, both quickly cleaned up. If an owner didn't clean up right away, the pee would cause an odor to persist, same as other animals' pee. Rabbit poop is easy to deal with. They can be trained to pee in a box and do most pooping in it, but I don't think they have terrific bowel control, so an occasional poop pellet has to be expected.

Mine didn't chomp furniture, but that is something to watch for also. Their teeth continually grow, which means they must gnaw something to keep them trimmed

Old 08-18-2017, 02:50 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Actually funny enough this has been very helpful. I had a applicant that said they have outdoor rabbits. I wasn't sure of the type of damage rabbits can cause but theire basically a huge fat rodent right?
No, they are lagomorphs, not rodents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting