Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 08:36 PM

71 posts, read 63,675 times

Advertisements

Friend moved into a 'renovated' apt. This was renovated after she signed the lease and she took the agent and landlord word on what would be done. Of course she's disappointed but my question is all the switch plates and electrical plates are old, some are cracked. Now maybe this is petty but shouldn't the landlord replace these? Yes I know they cost only s couple of bucks but it's the principle. When she mentioned it to the agent he said he thought was petty but I think the opposite, Petty of the ll not to replace. Just wonder what others think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 09:08 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
To me renovated means everything that's broken worn or end of life gets replaced.
Walls are fixed and painted
Electrical outlets switches and fixtures are replaced
New flooring
New cabinetry
New counters
New plumbing fixtures and sink
New appliances

Old 08-20-2017, 09:47 PM

153 posts, read 137,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip flops 3878 View Post
Friend moved into a 'renovated' apt. This was renovated after she signed the lease and she took the agent and landlord word on what would be done. Of course she's disappointed but my question is all the switch plates and electrical plates are old, some are cracked. Now maybe this is petty but shouldn't the landlord replace these? Yes I know they cost only s couple of bucks but it's the principle. When she mentioned it to the agent he said he thought was petty but I think the opposite, Petty of the ll not to replace. Just wonder what others think.
Your perception of "renovated" seems accurate. At the very least a landlord should have replaced any cracked switch/electrical plates. My son and I recently moved into a 2-bedroom apartment with a loft and are finding problems similar to what you mention in your post. I went to plug in a lamp and both sides of the plate crumbled. Same thing with loose floor tiles in the kitchen and bathrooms, as well as general, albeit minor, cosmetic oversights that spell "lazy" and/or "cheap" to me. However, in my case the apartment was not listed as "renovated." Even so, there are some things you just expect a landlord to handle.

I won't get into why we are renting here what with all of the aforementioned red flags. I will say that the place was advertised as "freshly painted, new carpeting, etc." and showed pictures on Zillow that did not accurately represent the apartment in its current condition. Maybe ten years ago! Furthermore, we have two pug dogs that seriously limited the pool of landlords willing to rent to people with pets.

Sorry, didn't mean to overtake the thread with my own issues, but I did want to support you in your view of what constitutes "renovations." As an afterthought, maybe your friend should take photos of the entire interior of the apartment in case this landlord decides to hold your friend liable for the problems you mention when the lease is up and it comes time to return the security deposit (I wouldn't hold my breath, though).

Old 08-20-2017, 10:25 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Maybe they cant find the style any more. We cracked a combo switch/plugs in the kitchen I have Look ALL over for 5 years & still haven't found a replacement. Before the Maintenance guy died he also looked! No one seems to make them!

Old 08-21-2017, 05:25 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Friend moved into...
Just wonder what others think.
How many different threads are you going to start over this?

It's now Monday morning. Look up and contact the tenant aid agency there.
Perhaps someone in the social work office as well. Get your friend in to see them.
Get your friend some competent and experienced LOCAL help.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:45 AM

StayingAfterSunday, I get it! The ad for this unit showed another finished renovated apartment. The agent then showed her both, the renovated one as a comparison to the 'great work' they do renovating. Of course hers doesn't look so great. The floors which were supposed to be sanded were not. Only shellac and there are gouges and large scrapes. There have been numerous problems and she's not even in yet. She was promised if the apt wasn't 100% by move in she'd be prorated rent. On the 15 the landlord didn't have keys for her, and there was no stove yet ( among other things). When she called the ll he acted like she was nuts to ask for a days rent! The outlet and switch plates really got me. The landlord too cheap to purchase new ones at less than $1 each? That sends a red flag to me!

Old 08-21-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How many different threads are you going to start over this?

It's now Monday morning. Look up and contact the tenant aid agency there.
Perhaps someone in the social work office as well. Get your friend in to see them.
Get your friend some competent and experienced LOCAL help.
MrRational--I apologize if my questions here are a nuisance!

Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
Quote:
StayingAfterSunday, I get it! The ad for this unit showed another finished renovated apartment. The agent then showed her both, the renovated one as a comparison to the 'great work' they do renovating. Of course hers doesn't look so great. The floors which were supposed to be sanded were not. Only shellac and there are gouges and large scrapes. There have been numerous problems and she's not even in yet. She was promised if the apt wasn't 100% by move in she'd be prorated rent. On the 15 the landlord didn't have keys for her, and there was no stove yet ( among other things). When she called the ll he acted like she was nuts to ask for a days rent! The outlet and switch plates really got me. The landlord too cheap to purchase new ones at less than $1 each? That sends a red flag to me!
Hopefully, she documented the issues at move-in so that they don't claim she caused the damage and deduct from her security deposit.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:58 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Did your friend get it in writing what was going to be done? Is your friend incapable of dealing with her own problems that you must do it for her? It just seems odd for you to be complaining about someone else's rental problem when it isn't a place you are living in.

A renovation does not have to mean a total renovation.

Large complexes often have a "model unit" to show to applicants. The model unit is not the unit you will be getting and the unit you get often does not resemble the model unit.

If your friend is unhappy, she can pay the lease termination fee and leave. Or tough it out for a year and move. Or if the switch plates are the big issue, your friend could pay $5 and replace all the switch plates with brand new ones. Sure, the landlord should have done that, but he isn't going to and if your friend is driven insane by looking at old switch plates, she could probably justify spending $5 to save her own mental health.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:11 PM

I'm trying to help a very dear friend. She's going through a hard time, recently lost her husband and it's well a very long story.
Obviously she's not losing her mind over switch plates, it's just s combination of factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting