Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:45 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,944,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have a house and my dog is inside only. She is quiet. But if there would be people in front of the window, doing stuff, being loud, of course she would freak out.
A house is different than an apartment complex where people are coming in and out at all hours of the day and night, bringing friends and family over, etc. There really is nothing for a dog to be "guarding" when the people that dog hears, sees and/or smells have every right to be on the property, vs. a house that has front and rear yards and a driveway, all private property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 02:14 PM

71 posts, read 63,657 times
This dog is in a back alley fenced in. Not an apt complex but a nyc building where some apts (my friends) face the back. The super commented that she barks when the birds and squirrels tease her but there are no squirrels or birds out there at 8:30 pm. I personally think she's in for some problems as the dog is the supers dog and she feels somewhat hesitant to complain to the landlord. I can say I've been there several times and heard the barking each time and when talking to her on the phone as well. To me it's ridiculous that anyone could be that inconsiderate and hard to believe no one else complains.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:51 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip flops 3878 View Post
This dog is in a back alley fenced in. Not an apt complex but a nyc building where some apts (my friends) face the back. The super commented that she barks when the birds and squirrels tease her but there are no squirrels or birds out there at 8:30 pm. I personally think she's in for some problems as the dog is the supers dog and she feels somewhat hesitant to complain to the landlord. I can say I've been there several times and heard the barking each time and when talking to her on the phone as well. To me it's ridiculous that anyone could be that inconsiderate and hard to believe no one else complains.
Others may feel exactly as she does, that since it's the super's dog their complaints won't go anywhere. Or maybe they have complained and nothing was done.

I agree about the inconsideration. People who can't control their dogs and shut them up shouldn't have them. I hope your friend is able to get out of the situation.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:34 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip flops 3878 View Post
Ok well then I guess she'll have to tolerate it and I was wrong. She hasn't moved in yet so don't know the situation at night, it's just during the day the barking is non stop, at least the times I've been there. Yesterday it was over an hour straight. She's first floor, super is basement so it's basically right outside her window.
I don't think you can break a lease due to a barking dog. I suppose it would depend on what the lease says and what the laws are in your state. Has anyone spoke to the landlord about it? I personally wouldn't approach the owner about it! That's how people get shot and anyway I'm sure the owner knows the dog barks and obviously could care less. Talk to the landlord and call the police.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:50 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Tell her to check the local laws. A lot of places have laws against dogs barking nonstop no matter what time of day it is.
My city has an ordinance against anything longer than 15 minutes at a time all hours of the day.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:45 PM

Yeah obviously the owners don't give a dam. The dog can be heard from every room and I can hear it through the phone while taking to my friend with all windows closed. Shes started to document the times and it seems to be most of the day and she can also hear it when it's inside their apt. She called the owner today and left a message, not sure how he'll handle it.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:54 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,537,849 times
I feel your friend's pain.

About six months ago, someone moved in down the block from me. They have a large dog that, when he is out in their small yard, barks continuously for as long as he is out there. If he is out for 10 minutes, he will bark for 10 minutes. If he is out for an hour, he will bark for an hour, non-stop.

His bark is so loud that I can hear him half-way down a fairly long block. The yard he is in is about 20 feet from a set of townhouses, all with porches that face the yard. I cannot imagine how loud this noise must be for the people living there.

I always feel bad for the animals in these situations. I can't imagine a dog is happy when it barks continuously for such a long time.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:17 AM

The issue is too that my friend looked at the apt at least four times before signing the lease and no one disclosed the fact that a Doberman lives basically outside of her window. No mention of a dog, never saw it or heard it and I was with her some of those times. Clearly the dog was kept indoors during those times. It wasn't until she signed the lease that suddenly the barking began. The dog basically lives outside being out there more than half the day from 7:30 am to 8-9 pm. Now she has to wait until Monday since no one has bothered to return her call.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:03 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,240 times
ugh.. have her buy a big fresh beef knucklebone and toss it ot the window .. the dog will shut up

OR

get a flirtpole and play with the dog via the kitchen window .. a tired dog is a quiet dog .. 15 minutes of hard jumping and chasing will cure a lot of the problems.. she doesn't have to go outside to the yard but can do this out the window and yanno.. theres nothing wrong with that ..
https://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/04/24/flirt-pole/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting