Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 01:53 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEBMurray View Post
I prefer white, beige or grey as a neutral backdrop.
That's too much to ask. It's a rental, not your own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 01:54 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
If I were your landlord and came to me with that request, I'd give you your deposit back and send you on your way.
Same here.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:18 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
I definitely wouldn't ask to repaint . I'd ask to find out if the apartment had been painted prior to me moving in , if so, I'd leave it alone. Even if it hadn't been painted to me. They would start thinking high maintenance renters imo
This.

If the LL was going to paint, sometimes you can ask if they will paint a certain color. I usually offer to new tenants the opportunity to pick between a few colors if I am painting, or to paint on their own (I approve the color.)

If its freshly painted and you want to change it, I would think you were going to be high maintenance.

And FWIW, I have seen lots of LLs adopt pale aqua or turquoise, or blue. Its a "new neutral" and many people dislike white.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:33 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I would allow it if the tenant was paying for it and it was going to be professionally done, AND the tenant was paying rent starting the same date originally planned, and not delaying rent for the repaint. In other words, if it didn't cost me anything to have it done, I would approve it for a neutral color.

However, some landlords use the same color at every rental, so that they have touch up paint. So in that case, the landlord would be within their rights to charge for not only the repaint, but also charge up front to return the property to the original color at move out (if it were me, I'd refund a prorated portion of that at move out, depending on how long the tenant stayed.)

So I understand why some landlords would just flat out say no.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:34 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,234,310 times
Man after nearly twenty years of renting apartments painted "Sherwin Williams Believable Buff" I would have given just about anything for light blue walls.

I don't think it would hurt to ask--simply asking the question wouldn't be a legitimate basis for turning down a lease application (and if they do, you would get your deposit back because it is them turning you down). Maybe they have a fleeting thought that you are 'demanding' but so what? They are the landlord, not your personal friend.

Obviously if you follow up with a bunch of other demands or complaints, then you will be definitely creating an enemy. So choose your sticking points carefully. But you shouldn't be afraid to ask a question out of fear that your landlord might 'dislike' you.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:13 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I recently came across a applicant who wanted certain walks repainted. I agreed to split the costs as long as I approve of the colors and they use my painter. All was fine. Then the tenant wanted to start negotiating the deposit. They felt I was asking too much. Then I found out that they wouldn't be moving in for a month or so as they had to give notice. I told them thank you but not thank you. I had no problem with a bit lower rent or the fact they couldn't move in immediately. But it got to the point where they thought we were going to negotiating every aspect of our process. No we're really not going to do that.
So we parted ways. I would still rent to them I just wouldn't offer any concessions. We parted amicably. I don't "hate" any applicants. It's a business transaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting