Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,036 times

Advertisements

We rented a house and the DAY we were moving in, we got the news that was for SALE. Of course the realtor “forgot” to mention us that when we signed the contract. In my opinion, they omitted the “little detail” to rent the house to have it maintained for free and get some money (a lot of money)... very clever! But I feel abused.
For us, renting this place was a huge economical sacrifice and we decided to do it seeking for some peace. PEACE? Now, strangers disturb us in our own living room, even on Sundays. We also have a key box in the property. I do not feel SAFE any more and I am scared for the kids since the realtor doesn't give us information about the people he brings into the house. There is any kind of people out there, sex offenders, and thieves ... Really scary for me, there is not guaranty that he is not binging one of those people into my house ... I feel so unprotected by the law that have no clue of what to do. I do no have any extra money to move out and I do not want to stress out my children even more than they already are for this situation.
We feel cheated and there are not many things we can do about it. I am trying to find a legal way to make the realtor pay for his "omission" or mal practice. As a therapy I am posting in many web sites what happened.
You have the right to be present in each visit, cook cauliflower or fish as often as you feel, and complain as much as you want, as loud as you want, in front of every one that wants to listen to you.
Do I have any rights at all?

Last edited by pilucad; 07-31-2011 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: more detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,036 times
Is it legal to rent a house and omit to the tenants you real intentions to sell it?

Last edited by pilucad; 07-31-2011 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-26-2011, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,845 times
Once the Landlord has sold the house. What is the proper notice for the renters to move out??? 30 day notice?? 2 weeks notice???

Old 12-26-2011, 10:41 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,675,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum6 View Post
Once the Landlord has sold the house. What is the proper notice for the renters to move out??? 30 day notice?? 2 weeks notice???
Any sale would be subject to the lease - the tenant has a right to stay until the lease term is completed. On a month-to-month lease the termination notice would be covered in the lease, usually 30-60 days notice.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,585 times
I am in a month to month lease and the owner called the other day and stated that they were putting the house back on the Market. Within 2 days there was a realtor sign out front and 2 showings. Also the landlord told me the realtor was going to do a walk through for appraisal but the next day I see the listing online with 14 pictures of all my belongings online with the address listed of course. I told the landlord that I am moving and she asked for a 30 day notice in writing which I gave her. I asked her if she would just keep my security deposit for the following months rent as I would be out by the 5th. She said no she would need the rent. I asked her to produce something that shows she has my security deposit in an account and she said its in her girlfriends account. What rights do I have?? My June rent is paid ...all of this transpired on June 18th and I will not even be here for July?

Old 06-23-2012, 07:16 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,286 times
hohman, check your state's tenant rights to see what you can do. It is my gut feeling that your LL is lying about having your deposit money in an account. Demand to see it in writing. Don't be shy. Too many tenants are tricked out of their security deposits! Good luck to you.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:26 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,048,465 times
You have no right, in any state I know of, to demand that a landlord show proof of the deposit as a requirement to pay your last month's rent. Pay your rent as you agreed in your lease, and expect your deposit back, as agreed in the lease, and take action or make accusations only after your landlord fails to perform as agreed.

Steve

Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
You have no right, in any state I know of, to demand that a landlord show proof of the deposit as a requirement to pay your last month's rent. Pay your rent as you agreed in your lease, and expect your deposit back, as agreed in the lease, and take action or make accusations only after your landlord fails to perform as agreed.

Steve
no that is not true. In WA. St. the LL must put the security deposit into its own holding acct. to which the LL gets all interest earned, And if asked they must show proof that its still there. On a side note the tenant should not be charged for normal wear and tear on a property either. ie paint, carpets, and what have you. The tenant is however responsible for damages that occur while renting. sorry for jumping off topic.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs7 View Post
...sorry for jumping off topic.
You're also replying to a question posed over eight months ago by a one-time poster. There are different laws in different states regarding the holding of a security deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting