Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
You guys are tough.

With my current landlord, I pay my rent late (anywhere from a couple of days to a week) and there is no penalty. I just forget most of the times.

As a matter of fact, I'm paying October rent tmrw, and there won't be any issue. I was more than a week late twice. Once my landlord texted me to remind me and the other time I saw him in the hallway by chance, remembered, and gave him the check.

With some previous landlords, I would pay sometimes a couple of weeks late (again, just irresponsibility) and again, no problems or late fees.

Regardless, no apartment I have ever rented has enforced late fees. And my current building is an LLC.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if I knew your tenants, I'd tell them my experiences and advise them to move to a place that wasn't so draconian with the rent due dates.

Quote:
It doesn't matter what you say.

My landlords have never cared. And I always pay.

My other bills are not late, because they are all on automatic pay.

And even if they were late, most bills have a grace period of a month before late fees start kicking in.

You really think my landlord is so vindictive that he would give a negative reference because I've been a few days late on my rent without giving me some kind of a warning?

It has nothing to do with being tough. You signed a contract just like I did. You expect me to hold my end of the bargain right? I expect the same from you. Sorry but there is nothing draconian about paying your rent on time. And just because you had LLs who let you get by and not charge fees doesn't mean every LL out there is gonna do the same. How exactly do you forget? Rent is due on the same day every month of the year. So forgetting is something that happens one time maybe twice. After that it's a I don't really care what are you gonna do. Which is most likely your attitude towards paying rent. Once in a while one may be late so I don't charge a late fee. But if it's every month and I'm chasing you to pay I'm going to tell you to take your business elsewhere.

Don't take this the wrong way but you seem to have a very lackadaisical attitude towards making your payments. So you are not going to mind if I have a lackadaisical attitude towards keeping you as a tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 03:35 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I've rented most of my life & it would never occur to me to pay rent late. I do live in a complex with a lot of other seniors & it's understood by management that my & others social security check comes on the 3rd of the month so that would be my normal rent day, which is what it was this month. Since then I've received my deposit from my old apartment & will pay on the first of each month & pay myself back when my social security check comes in.

Housing/rent should be at the top of the payment list. It's got to be frustrating for landlords to receive late rent & have to wonder when or if they'll receive a rent check each month.

The renters financial responsibility is just that. It's not the landlords responsibility.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:18 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

Don't take this the wrong way but you seem to have a very lackadaisical attitude towards making your payments. So you are not going to mind if I have a lackadaisical attitude towards keeping you as a tenant.
I'm lackadaisical because the landlords I've had never cared.

If a workplace never cared if people came in late just as long as people did their work, then do think every person would show up on time?

Make sense?

If they started charging late fees, then I'd be more on top of it. I'm also not late every month. Every now and then I forget it's the first. We also have five day grace, so technically after the 5th is late.

There's people in my building, who ... I don't know what they do. But they don't have jobs. They hang around the building all day. Other tenants have pets, make noise, bother the other tenants. I had a neighbor in one of my other buildings who told me she called the landlord every week to turn up the goddamn heat. I never called her once.

I'm just a guy who pays rent every month, and has probably 4 years of rent in my savings account if so needed. And keeps to himself, no pets, pleasant guy to deal with, and almost never calls the landlord with maintenance issues. I'm guessing that's why the landlords don't care that I'm late every now and then.

Last edited by jobaba; 10-06-2017 at 06:10 PM..

Old 10-06-2017, 05:35 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

You do know, right, that your rent can be set up as an automatic payment just like your other bills?

Really? Every month you forget that you have to pay your rent?
I'm not late every month, and I did not know that.

Thanks for telling me though. If there is no fee from BofA, I'll set it up.

Just an aside ... but if any landlord had told me "Hey listen Jobaba, I need the rent on the 1st because I myself need to make XXX payment, can you please try harder to make it happen." then subconsciously, I would probably forget less.

But no landlord has ever approached me with such a situation.

Don't you think that kind of communication is better than telling the next potential landlord this guy paid late and screwing that person from getting an apartment??

Old 10-06-2017, 07:04 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
WOW Do you hold on to Money you got 3 years ago? What Saving Account I on SSD... Cant wait till You are living month to month on a Tiny check!

Actually, yes. I took my bonus from 4 years ago and invested it...not only do I have that money, but I also additional funds that grew with it.

No worries...I won't be depending on sec 8, food stamps and/or social security when I'm old.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I manage a rent house in Texas for my brother. I am an experienced Landlord and declined the rental application for this couple last year due to bad credit. They did have good landlord references (take that with a grain of salt!) They begged and offered 2x security deposit. I passed along this request to my brother with the recommendation to continue to decline but he wanted to go ahead with them -- as a young person he had many challenges renting houses. So, we did a month to month lease with 2x normal deposit. October 1st was the first year anniversary of their tenancy at the house.

They take good care of the house, but this month marks the 4th time they are late on the rent. Each time they do pay (about a week late and they include late fees). I previously advised them that this is a pattern we are growing frustrated with and continued issues will result in lease termination. Rent is due on the 1st and October's rent has not been paid. She sent an email on the 1st saying she will be a bit late and will submit on the 4th. Didn't happen.

My brother would prefer NOT to end the lease now due to the possiblity of having an empty house in November and December. I think we should go ahead and EITHER send a formal warning that next time the rent is not paid when due it will be considered a notice to vacate OR go ahead now and give them notice to vacate.

Input from you guys is appreciated...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
You make a good point. But seriously I am not stressing. I bought this property, among others, as executor of our mother's estate when I moved her to a memory care facility and sold her house (which was very large and rundown, but due to its location in the SF Bay area a huge asset) to be an income property for her care. It was the plan that my adult son would manage the property but we decided he was not cut out to be a LL. I own several rental properties so I just managed it from then on. When our mother died and we divided the estate -- which was very complex with diverse holdings -- this property became my brother's because there were several properties and I took most of them but did not want all. My brother lives in another state and I am local. He pays me a management fee. We are loving siblings and have no animosity. I actually benefit when the tenants are late; I keep the late fees.

I am not stressed at all. However, I probably should have declined the application and never consulted with my brother and he would have been fine with that because he trusts me. I just wanted him to make the decisions. Next time I will do just that or we'll just sell the house.
Okay, which is it? I feel like I accidentally played reverse psychology with you.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:11 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Actually, yes. I took my bonus from 4 years ago and invested it...not only do I have that money, but I also additional funds that grew with it.

No worries...I won't be depending on sec 8, food stamps and/or social security when I'm old.
There are many here who were as sure as you, and ended up disabled. I hope your crystal ball stays true to you. I'd like to suggest that when you start to feel superior, you remember the saying, "There but for the grace of God go I."

Old 10-06-2017, 08:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
I'm lackadaisical because the landlords I've had never cared.

If a workplace never cared if people came in late just as long as people did their work, then do think every person would show up on time?

Make sense?

If they started charging late fees, then I'd be more on top of it. I'm also not late every month. Every now and then I forget it's the first. We also have five day grace, so technically after the 5th is late.

There's people in my building, who ... I don't know what they do. But they don't have jobs. They hang around the building all day. Other tenants have pets, make noise, bother the other tenants. I had a neighbor in one of my other buildings who told me she called the landlord every week to turn up the goddamn heat. I never called her once.

I'm just a guy who pays rent every month, and has probably 4 years of rent in my savings account if so needed. And keeps to himself, no pets, pleasant guy to deal with, and almost never calls the landlord with maintenance issues. I'm guessing that's why the landlords don't care that I'm late every now and then.
You made it sound like youre late as a rule. Not every once in a while like you're saying now.. And that's where you're wrong. Because you're still late if you're paying on the 5th. That's just a grace period. You just aren't getting a late fee charged to your account but the rent is still due on the first and late any time after that. Personally I don't care how much money you have. I would ask you to pay rent on time. I'll let a payment slide once maybe twice if it's a long interval. After that if it becines habitual I'm going to charge fees. Just understand that not every LL is going to let you slide on rent payment.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:15 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Okay, which is it? I feel like I accidentally played reverse psychology with you.
HUH??? I am simply asking all for opinion on what to do.....don't get what you are implying.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:46 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Money orders are Only good for 60 Days! My LL Refuses to take Cash! Or Credit cards or several Money Orders which change.
What are you talking about? Western Union money orders NEVER expire.

There can be services charges if deposited 1+ years after their purchase date but that timeline is dependant on the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting