Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 02:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The regulations do nto makje this any violation.

The violations are:
1. The deliberate interception of mail. This is when a person engages in an action to take possession of another personals mail without a legitimate reason or permission while in transit or after delivery. It is not a violation to read the outside of mail pieces unless intercepted.

2. With knowledge, opening another person's mail. The mere act of opening mail addressed to another person is not a violation. They had to know the mail was not addressed to them and open it anyways. Mail addresses to an address with no personal identified recipient can be opened by anyone at that address.

3. Deprive delivery. Basically, if they get a letter addressed to you opened and read it by mistake. Realized it;s not for them, they must give it to the legal recipient or return it to the post office for handling. Only if they throw it away or unreasonably delay returning it to deprive you of that mail, would they be in violation of the regulations.

So, your landlord is accepting mail with permission otherwise you need to have all your mail sent to another location. By using the address, you are authorizing the landlord to receive your mail. If the landlord is looking at the face of each piece of mail for the purpose of figuring out the recipient, no violation. Even if they see it's from your sex change therapist, no privacy violation. And if they are giving you the mail, no violation.

You can ask the landlord for permission to install your own mailbox at your own expense, but they can say no. This is the price of living in a halfway house. The inn keeper knows your business.

If the mail is locked in the mailbox, how is that NOT intercepted?

verb
verb: intercept; 3rd person present: intercepts; past tense: intercepted; past participle: intercepted; gerund or present participle: intercepting
ˌin(t)ərˈsept/
  1. 1.
    obstruct (someone or something) so as to prevent them from continuing to a destination.
    "intelligence agencies intercepted a series of telephone calls"
    synonyms:stop, head off, cut off; Morecatch, seize, grab, snatch;
    obstruct, impede, interrupt, block, check, detain;
    ambush, challenge, waylay
    "the ball was intercepted"

• American Football
      (of a defensive player) catch a forward pass.

• Physics
      cut off or deflect (light or other electromagnetic radiation).

• Mathematics
      (of a line or surface) mark or cut off (part of a space, line, or surface).

noun
noun: intercept; plural noun: intercepts
ˈin(t)ərsept/
  1. 1.
    an act or instance of intercepting something.
    "he read the file of radio intercepts"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 09:55 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,529,053 times
Okay, we’re going to get technical here. The law that covers this type of situation is Title 18, United States Code, Section 1702, “Obstruction of Correspondence” and it says:
Whoever takes any letter, postal card, or package out of any post office or any authorized depository for mail matter, or from any letter or mail carrier, or which has been in any post office or authorized depository, or in the custody of any letter or mail carrier, before it has been delivered to the person to whom it was directed, with design to obstruct the correspondence, or to pry into the business or secrets of another, or opens, secretes, embezzles, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

You’ve got to show criminal intent (like taking your check, opening it and putting it in his wallet before he goes to cash it), or intent that the LL has no intention of giving your mail to you (“obstruct”).

I spent 25 years taking complaints from people who had all sorts of mail delivery problems. Trust me, in a rooming house situation, you are much better off with the mail going into a locked receptacle and waiting for the LL to make distribution than to allow all the residents to paw through it.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:09 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not quite yet; I'll let you know when.
sorry, internet needs to be doled out to you as well now, between 7am and 4pm is it free, the rest of ghe time it is locked and admission only for paying customers

Old 10-16-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
sorry, internet needs to be doled out to you as well now, between 7am and 4pm is it free, the rest of ghe time it is locked and admission only for paying customers

Actually, I was unable to complete the self-install - which I have successfully done previously - because my outlet already had cable TV and I was unable to remove the coax from the wall in order to put the wall coax into the splitter. So they sent out a tech for free; he had the right tools to resolve the issue.

But this house consumes so much bandwidth the tech told me to temporarily disconnect the tv cable or else my internet would be painfully slow.

Oh, and I am a paying customer.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:19 AM

420 posts, read 402,990 times
Quote:
Actually, I was unable to complete the self-install - which I have successfully done previously - because my outlet already had cable TV and I was unable to remove the coax from the wall in order to put the wall coax into the splitter. So they sent out a tech for free; he had the right tools to resolve the issue.

But this house consumes so much bandwidth the tech told me to temporarily disconnect the tv cable or else my internet would be painfully slow.

Oh, and I am a paying customer.
Complete and utter bull****. Seriously - how long do expect people to believe your sagas?

You would have just put the “splitter” at the other end of the cable. And disconnecting the TV doesn’t save an ounce of bandwidth vs just turning it off.

Your stories have a ridiculous number of holes in them.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76 View Post
Complete and utter bull****. Seriously - how long do expect people to believe your sagas?

You would have just put the “splitter” at the other end of the cable. And disconnecting the TV doesn’t save an ounce of bandwidth vs just turning it off.

Your stories have a ridiculous number of holes in them.

Shrug. Turns out the landlord has some sort of insurance coverage on his cable hookups - I had never heard of such a thing - and he says that my hookup was designed to not be removable from the wall. Anyway in my failed effort to remove it from the wall, I did something which actually broke the cable signal connection. The technician removed the faceplate, got into the wall wiring, and fixed everything. At least when he was there - which was for close to an hour (mostly sorting out the outdoor connection box) - my internet was remarkably slow. He moved around some connections - he's got the wall coax connecting to another cable which goes into my router (my splitter now has two empty connections), and my internet resumed normal speed. If I want to watch TV, I break the aforementioned connection and put the two now-disconnected ends into the splitter. Never gonna mess with THIS wall again.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:04 AM

420 posts, read 402,990 times
Quote:
Shrug. Turns out the landlord has some sort of insurance coverage on his cable hookups - I had never heard of such a thing - and he says that my hookup was designed to not be removable from the wall. Anyway in my failed effort to remove it from the wall, I did something which actually broke the cable signal connection. The technician removed the faceplate, got into the wall wiring, and fixed everything. At least when he was there - which was for close to an hour (mostly sorting out the outdoor connection box) - my internet was remarkably slow. He moved around some connections - he's got the wall coax connecting to another cable which goes into my router (my splitter now has two empty connections), and my internet resumed normal speed. If I want to watch TV, I break the aforementioned connection and put the two now-disconnected ends into the splitter. Never gonna mess with THIS wall again.
Garbage.

That’s not how any of it works.

Hey. Where are the links to your eBay ads?

Old 10-18-2017, 03:33 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
If the mail is locked in the mailbox, how is that NOT intercepted?
Every apartment I've ever lived on, the mail goes into a locked mailbox. The LL only has one mailbox key to each locked mailbox, which is given to one of the tenants. Since this is a shared living situation, where people are probably coming and going, the LL doesn't have anyone reliable to leave the key with. If he did, I doubt it would be the new comer to the house. So if it's not the LL getting your mail, it would be one of your other housemates. Be glad that the LL is at least reliable and gets the mail everyday. The same might not be true if he gave the key over to someone else.

I don't know if its true, but Ive always been told the mailbox keys are issued by the USPS and cannot be copied. Even if they could, I doubt the LL wants to change the mailbox lock and reissue new keys to everyone each time someone moves out and doesnt leave their mailbox key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting