Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 11:07 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,243,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tianwaifeixian View Post
thanks! How about student loan collection? Someone says it is huge deal some days it is not. By the way, this person has around 5k balance in bank account
Student loans are very easily garnished so of all collection issues student loans are the second worst problem, taxes being the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 11:42 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Just got an application. The rent is $1600. Tenant shows $8000 as pretax monthly income. The credit score is 646 according to tenantbackgroundsearch.com. What concerns me is that the tenant has 10k student loan (national collegiate trust) in collection and 7-8 medical bill collections with amount of several thousands. And the tenant also has about 190k active student loan. Any suggestions on whether I can rent to this person or not?

Thanks a lot

If you have to ask that question, you are NOT qualified to be a landlord/investor. The guy is in debt up to his eyeballs. You are either joking, or trolling.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:57 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,486,679 times
Medical collections don't matter to me at all, I ignore them as if they didn't even exist on the report at all.

But student loans in collection show me that the person isn't a good money manager, because almost all student loans will go into forbearance/deferment if you just call up and ask for it. You still are charged interest, but at least you aren't messing up your credit also. Not doing that shows me that you just don't care.

My criteria on credit are more lax than some. I figure if you had perfect credit, you'd likely be buying a house. I'm looking for 1. No landlord collections, 2. No utility collections, and 3. More good credit than bad overall, and any bad to be older than the good.

So it is possible for someone to have some collections, for medical or student loans, or whatever that isn't a landlord or a utility, but have enough recent good credit for me to overlook a few negative items.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:39 PM

119 posts, read 260,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Medical collections don't matter to me at all, I ignore them as if they didn't even exist on the report at all.

But student loans in collection show me that the person isn't a good money manager, because almost all student loans will go into forbearance/deferment if you just call up and ask for it. You still are charged interest, but at least you aren't messing up your credit also. Not doing that shows me that you just don't care.

My criteria on credit are more lax than some. I figure if you had perfect credit, you'd likely be buying a house. I'm looking for 1. No landlord collections, 2. No utility collections, and 3. More good credit than bad overall, and any bad to be older than the good.

So it is possible for someone to have some collections, for medical or student loans, or whatever that isn't a landlord or a utility, but have enough recent good credit for me to overlook a few negative items.
Thank you for the suggestion. So will you be worried about the big amount of the sactive tudent loan(190k)? What does that mean in terms of the monthly payment, if he is paying any?

Old 10-16-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
If you have to ask that question, you are NOT qualified to be a landlord/investor. The guy is in debt up to his eyeballs. You are either joking, or trolling.
I wish I could get normal tenant and do not have to deal with this!

Old 10-16-2017, 02:39 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,734,881 times
I use tenantbackgroundsearch.com and it always gives a recommendation on your selected criteria. Did it say to pass on them? Did they recommend a co-signer or higher deposit amount? What was their delinquency rate on the analysis?

Old 10-16-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I use tenantbackgroundsearch.com and it always gives a recommendation on your selected criteria. Did it say to pass on them? Did they recommend a co-signer or higher deposit amount? What was their delinquency rate on the analysis?
The recommendation is that they meet the credit requirements that my husband set (although I don't know what he used as the requirements). It suggested to review the criminal history- that is another thing we were trying to figure out. Is the criminal record including traffic violations? How do we know exactly what it is?

The delinquency rate is 31%.

Thank you for the reply. We are new landlord and still learning. Thank you all!

Old 10-16-2017, 04:16 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,734,881 times
Quote:
The recommendation is that they meet the credit requirements that my husband set (although I don't know what he used as the requirements). It suggested to review the criminal history- that is another thing we were trying to figure out. Is the criminal record including traffic violations? How do we know exactly what it is?

The delinquency rate is 31%.

Thank you for the reply. We are new landlord and still learning. Thank you all!
31% delinquency is too high IMO. Odds are it'll take all of three months until they stiff ya.

Criminal is at the bottom of the last page of the report. It typically doesn't deal with any court cases other than criminal which will include serious traffic citations (DUI, DWLS etc.).

Last edited by tommy64; 10-16-2017 at 04:26 PM..

Old 10-16-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
31% delinquency is too high IMO. Odds are it'll take all of three months to stiff ya.

Criminal is at the bottom of the last page of the report.

Thanks Tommy! So what is a reasonable delinquency rate?
As for the criminal record, I do see there is one. But I can't see the details. Do you know how to get details?

Old 10-16-2017, 04:27 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
I wish I could get normal tenant and do not have to deal with this!

How does someone have this: "the tenant also has about 190k active student loan" ???

You could wait for a good tenant for years based on this guy's massive debt, and you won't get one cent that way either.

Give a worthy homeless person this apt. and sleep well at night. ! After all the hurricanes, fires, etc. etc. there are many people who will be glad to pay you back when they get on their feet. And.... you will feel good about what you've done for another human being who may be a mom with a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting