Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 10:10 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times

Advertisements

I was always told that the heat is scheduled to come on 10/19 and so far it has not been on as of 10/22. The temperature has been in the 50's at night the since thursday and it was kind of cold inside my apartment. Since I am expected to pay rent on the 1st of every month I should not have to call and ask when is the heat coming on inside the apartment. Now I do understand why landlords may not be in a big rush since the heat is something they pay for but it needs to be on regardless. In all my years of renting I have never ever remembered not having to call to ask when is the heat being turned on inside the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 10:35 AM

472 posts, read 473,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I was always told that the heat is scheduled to come on 10/19 and so far it has not been on as of 10/22. The temperature has been in the 50's at night the since thursday and it was kind of cold inside my apartment. Since I am expected to pay rent on the 1st of every month I should not have to call and ask when is the heat coming on inside the apartment. Now I do understand why landlords may not be in a big rush since the heat is something they pay for but it needs to be on regardless. In all my years of renting I have never ever remembered not having to call to ask when is the heat being turned on inside the building.

Where do you live? Laws vary. For example, in New York City, the law requires that your landlord provide heat at the following levels from October 1 through May 31: From 6 am to 10 pm: If the outside temperature falls below 55 degrees, the inside temperature must be at least 68 degrees everywhere in your apartment

Old 10-22-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Starwind View Post
Where do you live? Laws vary. For example, in New York City, the law requires that your landlord provide heat at the following levels from October 1 through May 31: From 6 am to 10 pm: If the outside temperature falls below 55 degrees, the inside temperature must be at least 68 degrees everywhere in your apartment
The state of PA and I was always told the 19th of October so I will call and ask on Wednesday morning because the temp will be warm today and tomorrow. That NY law is kind of early for heat to start and too late for the heat to end. No heat should be on close to Memorial Day weekend because sometimes the temperature is above 85 degrees.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:02 AM

472 posts, read 473,870 times
Quote:
The state of PA and I was always told the 19th of October so I will call and ask on Wednesday morning because the temp will be warm today and tomorrow. That NY law is kind of early for heat to start and too late for the heat to end. No heat should be on close to Memorial Day weekend because sometimes the temperature is above 85 degrees.
The law varies depending on your jurisdiction in PA.

The NYC law is the law and your feelings on whether or not you agree have zero inpact on this.

Based on your reply it seems like you won't be happy with any law or answer unless it fits the criteria in your own mind.

Best of luck

Old 10-22-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Starwind View Post
The law varies depending on your jurisdiction in PA.

The NYC law is the law and your feelings on whether or not you agree have zero inpact on this.

Based on your reply it seems like you won't be happy with any law or answer unless it fits the criteria in your own mind.

Best of luck

I was thinking about the people in NY who don't control their heat and would have to deal with the heat being on when it's not that cold outside. I was checking the law for PA and it's not clear if it's the 1st or 19th of October so I think I will actually call them tomorrow morning before the temperature drops on Wednesday.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:39 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
I was always told that the heat is scheduled to come on 10/19...
The law (generally) is the equipment needs to be capable of running
and keeping the mid day temp above some specific number.

Quote:
The temperature has been in the 50's at night the since thursday...
What were the temps during the day?

Old 10-22-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

What were the temps during the day?

The temp is 74 today and that will continue until wednesday when it drops to a high of 66. When the high is in the 60's it tends to be cold at night time since the temperature is in the 40's.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
The temp is 74 today and that will continue until wednesday when it drops to a high of 66.
Whether the equipment is "on" or not... that isn't cold enough to trigger the furnace to fire.

Quote:
When the high is in the 60's ...
It's not cold enough for a thermostat set at XF to come on.

Quote:
...it tends to be cold at night time since the temperature is in the 40's.
I'm lovin' it! Windows open for fresh air here.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Whether the equipment is "on" or not... that isn't cold enough to trigger the furnace to fire.

It's not cold enough for a thermostat set at XF to come on.

I'm lovin' it! Windows open for fresh air here.

So I am guessing the temperature has to be 55 or low for the high for the furnace fire to come on?

Old 10-22-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
So I am guessing the temperature has to be 55... for the furnace fire to come on?
Quote:
But you should surely know all this by now considering your experience in multiple rentals. Right?

So... Are the daytime temps inside your apt below the mid 60's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting