Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 06:21 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, What you quote from your lease indicates that you get use of the residence. Unless you are living in the garage, the garage isn't your residence.

The part about the shared use of the kitchen, bath, laundry, common areas, etc makes me suspect that you are just renting rooms or it is a shared residence. If that is so, the landlord doesn't need to give you notice that he is entering into the common areas.

As for the store room, if it is obviously a storage room, then that isn't "residence". If it is an unused bedroom, you have a case about the spare room. However, if the landlord told you that the store room was not included in your rent, maybe you ought to think carefully before making a big fuss, unless you are hoping to move soon.
This is how I interpreted it as well.
Based on the information given, it sounds like the landlord is within his rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 06:40 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, What you quote from your lease indicates that you get use of the residence. Unless you are living in the garage, the garage isn't your residence.

The part about the shared use of the kitchen, bath, laundry, common areas, etc makes me suspect that you are just renting rooms or it is a shared residence. If that is so, the landlord doesn't need to give you notice that he is entering into the common areas.

As for the store room, if it is obviously a storage room, then that isn't "residence". If it is an unused bedroom, you have a case about the spare room. However, if the landlord told you that the store room was not included in your rent, maybe you ought to think carefully before making a big fuss, unless you are hoping to move soon.
Assuming this isn't a roommate situation...

I don't think that would fly in front of any judge. Even if it would its a total crock.. I don't live in the bathroom or the utility closet but the landlord can't fill that up with his stuff either.

Many townhomes/condo's that I've seen have an attached outdoor closet that's always included. If I rent a house or a townhouse with a garage, I certainly assume that I'm renting the garage with the house unless its exclaimed boldly that its not included.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:18 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
From what the OP posted about common areas etc, it sounds as though they're renting a room, not an entire house/apartment, which is TOTALLY different and means that yeah, the landlord likely *does* have the right to store stuff in the garage and the extra room. OP really needs to clarify before folks start handing out advice.

Read carefully...it says..
"The management, for and in consideration of the agreement terms, community policies and conditions, to be kept and performed by the residents occupying (said address) to be occupied and used as a residence which also includes the shared use of the kitchen, baths and living rooms areas as well as the use of all major appliances IF a multi bedroom unit.""

That makes it sound like this lease is used for both single family units and shared housing situations.
The OP would have to come back and clarify whether it is or not.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:57 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Read carefully...it says..
"The management, for and in consideration of the agreement terms, community policies and conditions, to be kept and performed by the residents occupying (said address) to be occupied and used as a residence which also includes the shared use of the kitchen, baths and living rooms areas as well as the use of all major appliances IF a multi bedroom unit.""

That makes it sound like this lease is used for both single family units and shared housing situations.
The OP would have to come back and clarify whether it is or not.
Right, exactly, which is why I said (read carefully...) "OP really needs to clarify before folks start handing out advice"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting