Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 11:35 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,418,388 times

Advertisements

Many leases say that if you want to add a roommate, there are costs involved. There may be a fee to process the application, there may be a deposit increase, and there may be a rent increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 05:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,944,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Nothing, that person just won't be on the lease.
No, it's not 'nothing' and could end as an eviction for both parties

You can't just move someone in and call it a day. You call your landlord, tell them you want to get a roommate added to you lease and go from there. Your roommate will have to apply just like you and will have be approved by the landlord BEFORE they move in.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:00 AM

65 posts, read 70,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
OP, we have definitely added tenants mid-lease before. Most of them that I recall were due to a boyfriend/girlfriend moving in. The one moving in has to go through all of the same screening and qualifying process just as any other tenant does. If they qualify then they will be added to the lease and required to sign.
Yes. That's the tentative scenario I'm possibly preparing myself for. My girlfriend possibly moving in sometime within the 1 year lease span. Like you and the others said, it's probably best to check with the LL I'll be renting to.

Thank you all for your replies!

Old 10-28-2017, 08:05 AM

65 posts, read 70,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I recently declined a guy who had 9 roommates. I thought I heard wrong at first. I have a set rule that all applicants must meet at the same time. The guy said that’s gonna be difficult and I asked why. That’s when he said there are 9’roomates and they all have different schedules.

Yet another reason I want to meet all joint applicants at the same time. I had instances wher I tried setting up different times and got tired of the flakes and the “can’t make it sorry” texts
So now all joint applicants must be there together
I could understand the qualms involving 9 roommates. But I'm looking into possibly having just one roommate move in. Thanks for your input anyway.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,381,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisdan1 View Post
I could understand the qualms involving 9 roommates. But I'm looking into possibly having just one roommate move in. Thanks for your input anyway.

I had people rent and they were alone. A few months down the road they wanted a friend to move in. I wasn't happy about it but I allowed it. I usually kicked the rent up a hundred because I'm now taking on more wear and unknown.

It's worked out well but it adds a uncertainty factor until I know the new tenant is ok. Because lots of bad things can happen. The initial tenant can move leaving me with a deadbeat. Or the guy could have anger issues now he's gonna punch holes in my walls. So while tenants see it as a "what's the big deal it's just my friend" it's a bit more than that.

I had a roommate situation. Guy and girl. She turned into a basket case and called me screaming she's leaving. Ended up with the bf taking another roommate. Then they started each sending their own rent check. Which I dint accept. Now they are late and I still need one check. They argued all the time. One guy waited until the last day to send his rent portion and then he would send it so it wasn't in until the 8-10th. So it was late. So both got charged late fees.
They simply did not comprehend that they are not on separate leases. As a goodbye one tenant bounced two rent checks and bailed. The other guy brought a dog in fir the last three weeks. Then he tried to sue me for backcharges of a paint job him and his initial gf did

I'm pretty lucky since for the last 4/5 years I had good roomate situations. One guy gets new tenants every two years but everyone has to have the same or higher requirements.

What I can tell you is I'm pretty easy going but the fastest way to get me to turn into a giant circle dot is to bring in a unauthorized roommate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting