Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 01:23 PM

222 posts, read 194,401 times

Advertisements

It was raining the past two days and water was dripping through the ceiling light in the hallway when you walk out the door and the light stayed on it created a puddle and water everywhere I called building manager on first day by manager I mean building maintenance he said ok I will call roofers. The leak want on for 24 more hours and now that it stopped raining there is a musty smell. I don't think they are going to do anything should I leave this alone because I am picking my battles or should I let the building owners know that maintenance is not following up on something that is safety hazard.

There is one maintenance guy and 60 tenants I am not sure if he is overwhelmed or what?
Moderator cut: not allowed

The smoke detector by light also got wet.

I am think to just call the maintenance guy again and let him know I am concerned that it did not seem they followed up on something that was a safety hazard and that if it happens again I will complain to owners.

The hallway smells musty I put a fan to dry carpet.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-26-2017 at 09:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 02:01 PM

Well I could not wait for advice from city data forum this was just really bothering me I called the same maintenance man let him know i was upset and that if it becomes a chronic issue I will complain. I told him I did not feel comfortable having water drip on me from a light socket outside my door and told him I was upset no one came by to see the issue and I had to put buckets and fan in hallway.

Told him I was upset smoke alarm got wet and no one would have known if I did not let him know because no one ever stopped to see.

He said someone patched hole in roof but I am not sure I believe.then he said this problem has been issue for awhile and he sounded at a loss of words.

I want to prevent this from getting worse because I know I will be upset the next time it rains which my not be ten days and water is coming out of thge curling again.

I really was worried of getting electrocuted for instance on the other side of hallway where water is leaking from roof. Is my kitchen sink what if the next time water is leaking in the wall and there is an open sure while I am doing dishes? Not sure if that is irrational thought.

Anyways maybe me calling him let him see I am someone that speaks up I hope I chose the ccorrect battle and if this is not resolved in timely matter I will have to make a formal complaint.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:38 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
2:23 to 3:01 is not a long time at all.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
2:23 to 3:01 is not a long time at all.
I did not say it was a long time i just decided o needed to call before working day was over and could not wait for any input. But feedback to how I handled situation is still welcome. It did seem like a long 8 minutes though.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:43 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaamburger View Post
I did not say it was a long time i just decided o needed to call before working day was over and could not wait for any input. But feedback to how I handled situation is still welcome. It did seem like a long 8 minutes though.
Probably because it was 38 minutes.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Probably because it was 38 minutes.
Thanks lol

Old 10-27-2017, 06:06 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Make sure you do all your requests in writing

Old 10-27-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Make sure you do all your requests in writing
I am personally documenting everything but the only way I could put it in writing would be to skip building maintenance and write management.

Management purposely has made it where they do not want to be bothered if you have maintenance problem you go to maintenance and you can only reach him by phone no text, no address .

So if I put something in writing I guess I could give it to the maintenance guy when I see him. Or it would be given to management if this problem is not fixed .

I have chosen to put all smaller issues to the side and I am just focused on water leak and stove being fixed because of safety.

The stove is documented with gas company.

The water leak I did not complain or write to management yet because I figured I would give building maintenance man until next time it rains to see if issue is fixed.

Maintenance man offered to paint ceiling in hallway yesterday I explained I am not worried how it looks I am worried about the hazards created by water leaking through lite socket while light still on and smoke detector is wet and needs to be replaced.

So in an not sure if giving him some time is a mistake and I should notify management/ which is his supervisor and escalating it will help problem or if I should give him a chance to fix maybe week or two.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:59 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaamburger View Post
I am personally documenting everything but the only way I could put it in writing would be to skip building maintenance and write management.

Management purposely has made it where they do not want to be bothered if you have maintenance problem you go to maintenance and you can only reach him by phone no text, no address .

So if I put something in writing I guess I could give it to the maintenance guy when I see him. Or it would be given to management if this problem is not fixed .

I have chosen to put all smaller issues to the side and I am just focused on water leak and stove being fixed because of safety.

The stove is documented with gas company.

The water leak I did not complain or write to management yet because I figured I would give building maintenance man until next time it rains to see if issue is fixed.

Maintenance man offered to paint ceiling in hallway yesterday I explained I am not worried how it looks I am worried about the hazards created by water leaking through lite socket while light still on and smoke detector is wet and needs to be replaced.

So in an not sure if giving him some time is a mistake and I should notify management/ which is his supervisor and escalating it will help problem or if I should give him a chance to fix maybe week or two.
There's no reason why you can't contact the maintenance guy and send a follow up email to management. You're not asking management to deal with the issue, you're informing them that there is/was an issue and you're working with maintenance, but what them 'in the loop' That's your paper trail.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:51 PM

I would like to add that in this thread when I state maintenance man does not take things serious that is my strong opinion but there is the small chance I could be wrong I am not accusing any entity that works in my building or management of negligence. I believe they are trying to resolve problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting