Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 10:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I'll share my experience with you. So first off I think anytime you get the government involved in our life and private business transactions it's not a good thing. Then of course we hear all those horror stories about section 8 tenants, not all are bad but there's enough to warrent some hesitation.

I have a rental house, not the greatest block, but it is in one of the top school districts in the state. I had a great tenant for 4 years, family, both worked, good credit score, good income, paid rent on time.They moved out so went to rent it and literally out of 50 plus people contacting me every one of them asked about section 8.

I wound up hiring a property manager and told them I was at least open to section 8. They came to me with an application a family who was living on some religious community out west who had moved here, were recent immigrants, pastor spoke very highly of them.

They moved in, 5 or 6 adults living in the home, state pays something like $1300, they pay $175. First month they were 15 days late on rent. Prop management threated eviction to show them this wasn't okay, fortunately state paid me $1300, my mortgage is only $700 including taxes and insurance and everything so even if they don't pay me I'm still in the green, though obviously I wanna get all my money.

Since then they have paid on time. I do notice they are a bit of a hassle, asking to have plastic sheeting put over windows in the winter, and other small little issues like that.

When property manager called me I told him I put that plastic stuff on my windows in the winter as well, but that as an adult and a homeowner that's something you take upon yourself to do, not something you expect someone else to do for you. This is my first experience with section 8 but I definitely feel like at least with my tenants there's a sense of entitlement and an attitude that normal things are my responsibility. Recently they wanted a screen door put on the door leading into the garage, not something that is necessary or something that has ever been there. Just little things like that.
They don't sound bad, really. They only paid late once and then learned their lesson. The other things may just be because they are immigrants and are learning what landlords do and don't do. And really, it's better that they ask than to just do things themselves, but botch the job.

I rented 25 apartments in a large old building by a university, and had lots of students and techies from around the world. There was always a learning curve.

I'm curious how they got Section 8, if they are new immigrants. I had to prove I was a citizen to get it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 11:10 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm curious how they got Section 8, if they are new immigrants. I had to prove I was a citizen to get it here.
Section 214 of the Housing and Community Development Act does not restrict HUD housing programs to only citizens. There are about a half dozen or so non immigrant groups that are eligible. Most have to do with asylum or recognized refugees, but the most common non immigrant that is eligible is "(1) an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence as an immigrant as defined by section 1101(a)(15) and (20) of title 8..." (aka green card holder)

Old 05-15-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Section 214 of the Housing and Community Development Act does not restrict HUD housing programs to only citizens. There are about a half dozen or so non immigrant groups that are eligible. Most have to do with asylum or recognized refugees, but the most common non immigrant that is eligible is "(1) an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence as an immigrant as defined by section 1101(a)(15) and (20) of title 8..." (aka green card holder)
Thanks! It's also amazing that if they haven't been here long, they could get a voucher. Waiting lists are usually really long.

Plus, how can a permanent resident qualify for Section 8 as far as income goes? To become a permanent resident quickly, they'd have to have an unusual skill, right? So, how do you get hired and become a permanent resident quickly, yet not make very much money?

My spidey sense is confused by this story.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:58 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Thanks! It's also amazing that if they haven't been here long, they could get a voucher. Waiting lists are usually really long.

Plus, how can a permanent resident qualify for Section 8 as far as income goes? To become a permanent resident quickly, they'd have to have an unusual skill, right? So, how do you get hired and become a permanent resident quickly, yet not make very much money?

She said " Most have to do with asylum or recognized refugees," I don't know what you mean by income, Many of them get 80% or more of their rent paid.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:11 AM

784 posts, read 728,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
From my countless calls I receive, many of the Section 8 calls I get are people from the east African regions. They are looking for 3-4+ bedrooms, one wanted a 6+ bedroom place. It is not unusual for them to tell me they have 5-6 children.

I do not take S8 any longer, and I have heard that the tenants have to call literally 100s of numbers to get a LL that does take S8. Maybe that was an exaggeration, but I have asked several people that have inquired, and they all say it is hard to find a LL in a good area that wants it.

Quote:

Refugees are basically here permanently, and I believe that they get a S8 voucher right away. No waiting. Most have limited skills. I have seen many that work as taxi drivers and truck drivers. They always have the option to go back to their homeland on their own, but until the country is deemed safe, even illegal immigrants cannot be deported to that country.

Some counties even pay for car insurance if the people need a car to get to and from work.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:48 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
From my countless calls I receive, many of the Section 8 calls I get are people from the east African regions. They are looking for 3-4+ bedrooms, one wanted a 6+ bedroom place. It is not unusual for them to tell me they have 5-6 children.

I do not take S8 any longer, and I have heard that the tenants have to call literally 100s of numbers to get a LL that does take S8. Maybe that was an exaggeration, but I have asked several people that have inquired, and they all say it is hard to find a LL in a good area that wants it.

Refugees are basically here permanently, and I believe that they get a S8 voucher right away. No waiting. Most have limited skills. I have seen many that work as taxi drivers and truck drivers. They always have the option to go back to their homeland on their own, but until the country is deemed safe, even illegal immigrants cannot be deported to that country.

Some counties even pay for car insurance if the people need a car to get to and from work.
Don't think so. The Section 8 list is maintained by local housing authorities. There would appear to be no mechanism for refugees to cut in front of the line. Our local wait list has not been opened in a decade. So you would have to have lived here a decade ago to even be on it.

There may be an arrangement to allow access to local public housing. But that is not Section 8.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:12 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Here is what happened after Katrina... thousands displaced having lost everything.

Emergency Vouchers were issued good anywhere in the country.

These refugees simply showed up with Vouchers in hand and I saw several here in California.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:53 PM

784 posts, read 728,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Don't think so. The Section 8 list is maintained by local housing authorities. There would appear to be no mechanism for refugees to cut in front of the line. Our local wait list has not been opened in a decade. So you would have to have lived here a decade ago to even be on it.

There may be an arrangement to allow access to local public housing. But that is not Section 8.

I do not know how they maintain the Section 8 list, and I know there is a long list here.

I also know when the refugees come over, they have section 8 vouchers. I think it is part of the federal government resettlement program, but it is still part of Section 8.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:24 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

and since states can close list completely, I also don't think there is any way to mandate priority for one group over another.

Now, what may be confusing some is that not all Housing Vouchers fall under Section 8 (although HUD probably "administers" all other federal agencies vouchers), and as you stated, not all subsidized, low income, income restricted or public housing is Section 8. Additionally, there are many subsections of Section 8 that has nothing to do with what many think of when they say "Section 8", so a completely different set of rules and eligibility exist for those subsections.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
She said " Most have to do with asylum or recognized refugees," I don't know what you mean by income, Many of them get 80% or more of their rent paid.
But, to get Section 8, you have to be a citizen or a permanent resident. I don't think refugees and asylum seekers get either.

Getting your rent subsidized doesn't equal income. So, how does a new immigrant get permanent status, so they qualify for Section 8 HUD housing, and also have no or low income? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting