Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 09:11 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,784 times

Advertisements

So I will start out by saying I have a great landlord and he has been so nice and helpful with me through some issues. Originally in April my best friend (ex best friend now) and I signed a 9 month lease. About 2 months into the rental my friend moved back to his hometown and left me with the lease (he couldn't handle the expenses and was simply in over his head). I came home from work one day and he was literally GONE. I have not heard from or seen him since. It was shock to me because he was always getting packages and seemed to be doing well in his job here in Miami but he had hidden problems I didn't know about and not to mention he was one of the nastiest/dirtiest people I have ever lived with. I notified my landlord and let him know the situation and he was very nice about it. Since I was going to have a hard time paying the rent on my own he allowed my boyfriend to move in with me and added him to the lease (he had his own place so he didn't move in right away he still had 2 months left on his rental so I had to wait it out and pay on my own for 2 months). While I never asked my landlord to lower the rental payments I had thought about it but before I could ask he offered so I initially took him up the offer and he lower the payments until my boyfriend moved in and they went back to the originally price. I was over ally happy with his offer and until this day I still thank him at times. Anyway lets fast forward: the lease is almost over and my boyfriend (now husband) and I are moving to my hometown in Virginia. It is a very tough time for us financially because of the fact that we have to continue paying one months rent here and had to come up with rent and deposits on the new place in Va. While I know none of this is my landlords fault do you think it is a slap in his face to ask for help for our last month? I was thinking of seeing if I could pay less this month and then pay it back to him later (like 2 weeks after the due date). We are moving out on the 12 and out lease ends on the 31st but due to my job in Va I have to leave earlier than the lease end. I already let him know we were leaving early; he is moving back for the winter months in January and stated that "due to family events here I cannot move back to Miami until after Christmas". Which leads me to believe hes basically telling me I am not moving back until after your lease is up so dont think about asking for paying half the rent?... I don't want to come off at being unreasonable because I know hes already helped me MUCH MORE than he could have and I don't want him to think I am taking advantage of his niceness but to be honest there is NO WAY we can pay the $1850 this month and I would rather be upfront and honest with him than not. Would you be willing to help your tenant on their last month in the rental?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 01:12 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
You signed a lease and committed costs elsewhere KNOWING you couldn't pay for your current commitments? And you want your landlord of only nine months to take the hit for this decision?

Old 11-05-2017, 01:17 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Would you be willing to help your tenant on their last month in the rental?
I was a landlord for 20 years and heard all the sob stories designed to separate me from the money that was due.

I wouldn't give up a nickel to help stupid tenants who got in over their heads.

But, hey, go ahead and ask your landlord for help. He might still be a sucker for another sob story.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:22 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
I think you need to quit asking for favors. Your landlord sounds like a wonderful person but being a landlord is a business. Please don’t ask him again.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:42 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
You really can't be serious right now, are you? I would be ashamed of myself if I were you.

You are seriously pushing the envelope here. I suggest that you finally start being a responsible adult and pay what you rightfully owe. And then stop making horrible financial decisions that you can't afford and then expect or assume that others should bail you out.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I've given such concessions before to tenants. Same situation like yours, roomate 2 moved out, roommate 1 couldn't come up with full rent. I gave a one time 1/2 rent concession. That was about $1200 bucks out of my pocket. Roomate 1 ended up getting a new roomate let's call them 3. In return roommate 3 that was there bounced two rent checks and took off. Roomate 1 brought in a dog (against policy) and then moved out. Tried to sue me when he was backcharged for painting the place.

When I accept roommates my standard acceptance is both roommates must make enough money to pay the rent on their own if the other roomate leaves.

Your LL sounds like a nice person. I wouldn't give you a discount.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:11 PM

23,300 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I don't want to come off at being unreasonable because I know hes already helped me MUCH MORE than he could have and I don't want him to think I am taking advantage of his niceness but to be honest there is NO WAY we can pay the $1850 this month and I would rather be upfront and honest with him than not. Would you be willing to help your tenant on their last month in the rental?
It would be presumptuous and frankly insulting to even ask. Your landlord was quite understanding in the first situation (reducing your rent when your deadbeat friend left you with the lease). Think about it; on top of being a nice guy, he had a known tenant in that unit who could keep paying SOME rent. He could have been faced with a completely vacant unit that he'd have to fill if he didn't cut you some slack. He probably felt it was the lesser of two evils to help you out until a second tenant moved in with you. Win win.

Now you want to ask him to take a loss right before his two paying tenants leave him with a vacant unit entirely. Why on earth would he do that? Don't you have first/last month's rent as well as a deposit? Forfeit those to make up what you have to pay on your agreed upon rent. What you can or can't afford on the move has nothing to do with your landlord. Why add insult to injury?

Old 11-05-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
You really can't be serious right now, are you? I would be ashamed of myself if I were you.

You are seriously pushing the envelope here. I suggest that you finally start being a responsible adult and pay what you rightfully owe. And then stop making horrible financial decisions that you can't afford and then expect or assume that others should bail you out.
Maybe you miss understood me. I originally had a roommate who was to split the rent with me only to leave two months after the lease started. HE offered to reduce the rent until my boyfriend could move in which was a great gesture. I was actualy making a good financial decision because I was getting a roommate instead of trying to get something on my own. Being a good tenant I decided to stay in the unit and follow through with my commitment of a lease instead of just taking off (which some would do!). I am not asking for a bail out at all I was wondering if landlords would be willing to help tenants in my situation I never said I was asking for a bail out.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
It would be presumptuous and frankly insulting to even ask. Your landlord was quite understanding in the first situation (reducing your rent when your deadbeat friend left you with the lease). Think about it; on top of being a nice guy, he had a known tenant in that unit who could keep paying SOME rent. He could have been faced with a completely vacant unit that he'd have to fill if he didn't cut you some slack. He probably felt it was the lesser of two evils to help you out until a second tenant moved in with you. Win win.

Now you want to ask him to take a loss right before his two paying tenants leave him with a vacant unit entirely. Why on earth would he do that? Don't you have first/last month's rent as well as a deposit? Forfeit those to make up what you have to pay on your agreed upon rent. What you can or can't afford on the move has nothing to do with your landlord. Why add insult to injury?
I paid one month security deposit and first months rent. He has my deposit but I know that you cant use it for the rent. My thoughts are with you on him taking the lesser of two evils but I did not ask he was just nice enough to offer. I was asking because I kind of felt like it might come off at insulting. Thanks for your honesty.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:45 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
So you are leaving your landlord with a vacant rental when it is the hardest time of year to find a tenant and you want free rent? Don't even ask. Your landlord still has to pay taxes and insurance on this place. Why should you get free/discounted rent?

If you truly cannot pay, to avoid a lawsuit/judgment, maybe see if a payment plan can be worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting