Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 04:19 PM

412 posts, read 275,252 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a place on Saturday.

I'm not picky at all really as long as it's not a place that's going to fall apart. I worked rentals as a real estate agent and some people had bad credit and a low budget, and they wanted an updated place in a good neighborhood with granite countertops. I'd hang up on them half the time.

I don't need an updated place with top of the line kitchen flooring and cabinetry. I just need a small unit I can sleep in that's private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 05:32 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Try the local Mental Health .... they have people that can help you with housing... they keep list of LL that would give you a chance.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Try the local Mental Health .... they have people that can help you with housing... they keep list of LL that would give you a chance.
Well, they won't have my mental health records when processing my application. I meant that getting roommates would be too much to deal with.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
I'm looking at a place on Saturday.

I'm not picky at all really as long as it's not a place that's going to fall apart. I worked rentals as a real estate agent and some people had bad credit and a low budget, and they wanted an updated place in a good neighborhood with granite countertops. I'd hang up on them half the time.

I don't need an updated place with top of the line kitchen flooring and cabinetry. I just need a small unit I can sleep in that's private.
If you worked rentals as a real estate agent, and hung up on people with bad credit, why are you surprised at what you're facing? That makes no sense.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:19 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Quote:
Well, they won't have my mental health records when processing my application. I meant that getting roommates would be too much to deal with.
Not talking about room mates .. Telling you to got to the Mental Health in your area get the list of apts geared towards you situation Do to you mental health. Take the records with you.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:25 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
I've already stayed in rooms with houses full of people and rented a room for a couple months and decided I was done. I'm done doing that. I can't sleep in my car every now and then because I need it to drive Uber and Lyft. I mostly can't roommates due to my autism and level of stress, and also given my lifestyle I'm up at irregular hours and it wakes people up.

All I'm asking for is to rent a studio. My full time income is 2100 per month and I have plenty of side jobs to take that to over 3000. My credit score is about to be around 700 once one debtor reports my balance is paid, so I don't get why this is so hard just because I don't have references.
it's because you're 30 yrs old without references...by this time most people have years of references or already own their own home.

Beggars can't be choosers and if the landlords won't accept that you've been living with friends and your parents, then you need to suck it up and take what you can get (roomies. slumlords).

Old 11-11-2017, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If you worked rentals as a real estate agent, and hung up on people with bad credit, why are you surprised at what you're facing? That makes no sense.
It's because on their budget they were trying to get a nice place in a good neighborhood for a low price with bad credit.

I'm not really begging for anything. I'm not trying to get into a place just built or remodeled. I don't have kids and don't need to live in the best school areas. I don't care if it's on a main road with a lot of traffic. I don't care if the reviews say there are roaches, as I'll get my own pest control service.

All I'm asking for is a rental without roommates, as I cannot live with others anymore long term. I don't want to share kitchens and bathrooms, I don't want people to assume that because I have days where I'm angry and gloomy, that makes me a dangerous person they need to stay away from, etc. I have no criminal record. I have 650 to 670 credit and 100% on time payments, and once they report I paid the last medical collection I had, it should go up to 700.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:46 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
It's because on their budget they were trying to get a nice place in a good neighborhood for a low price with bad credit.

I'm not really begging for anything. I'm not trying to get into a place just built or remodeled. I don't have kids and don't need to live in the best school areas. I don't care if it's on a main road with a lot of traffic. I don't care if the reviews say there are roaches, as I'll get my own pest control service.

All I'm asking for is a rental without roommates, as I cannot live with others anymore long term. I don't want to share kitchens and bathrooms, I don't want people to assume that because I have days where I'm angry and gloomy, that makes me a dangerous person they need to stay away from, etc. I have no criminal record. I have 650 to 670 credit and 100% on time payments, and once they report I paid the last medical collection I had, it should go up to 700.
Well then, you'll have to keep looking.

There is no magic solution. You have no previous LL references, and you are refusing to do what it takes to get one. So you're going to have to look for a LL that doesn't care all that much about references.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:45 PM

I got approved for a studio in Dallas. They just accepted the letter from my employer and said they didn't need references, and since my credit was good they didn't need to collect an additional admin fee.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:49 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
I got approved for a studio in Dallas. They just accepted the letter from my employer and said they didn't need references, and since my credit was good they didn't need to collect an additional admin fee.
Good news and thanks for the update

Did you get that little tidbit about not owing the admin fee in writing? If not, do so as it could come back and bite you in the butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting