Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 08:26 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,757,962 times

Advertisements

Toward the end of the lease renewal it says, "If you do not respond by 1/21/18 your lease will automatically renew on 5/1/18. Seems to me that if someone didn't return the lease to the rental office they would jeopardize their housing and would need to move out. So the fact that it automatically renews if they don't hear from me why even waste time going to the rental office if I plan to stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 11:37 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,621,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Toward the end of the lease renewal it says, "If you do not respond by 1/21/18 your lease will automatically renew on 5/1/18. Seems to me that if someone didn't return the lease to the rental office they would jeopardize their housing and would need to move out. So the fact that it automatically renews if they don't hear from me why even waste time going to the rental office if I plan to stay?
My guess is you need to respond if you dont plan on staying otherwise it renews. So if your staying I wouldnt do anything.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:52 AM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
So the fact that it automatically renews if they don't hear from me
why even waste time going to the rental office if I plan to stay?
Because the PM company contract with the owner "earns" them a commission on renewals.
Now look for the clause on early termination and see how else they "earn" commissions.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:36 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,843,012 times
Quote:

Because towards the end of your current lease, they can decide not to renew and give a notice to terminate instead. If you want to secure the place, sign the renewal lease.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:25 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,508,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Because towards the end of your current lease, they can decide not to renew and give a notice to terminate instead. If you want to secure the place, sign the renewal lease.
This^^^.

Your risk is between now and 5/2018. If you don't have a signed lease before then, the landlord or management company can 1) choose NOT to renew and send you notice that the lease won't renew. or 2) choose to raise the rent for the next renewal period. Because you didn't yet sign the lease, you have not locked in the rent price or the lease itself.

If you want to stay, then sign that lease asap and make sure you get a signed copy for your records.

Not signing and waiting for the auto-renawal in May 2018 doesn't give you a guarantee of the lease and terms in May 2018 because there is nothing stopping the landlord from changing the terms before May 2018. Signing the lease renewal now is the only way your you to lock in the terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting