Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrestel View Post
My lease expires Jan.31st. On Dec.1st I talked to my landlord about renewing my lease, he said he would get the paper work together. I got it today Jan.3rd, he raised my rent $200.00 a month and wants to do a walk thur this Thursday. My rent is already $1000.00 a month I can't afford this increase and only have 28 days to find another place. Can landlords to this? Doesn't he have to give me more of a notice?
Yes he can raise the rent. No, you don't have to be out in 28 days. When your lease expires it automatically rolls over to a month to month. Your LL was tardy in getting the new lease to you and he has not given you the new lease in a timely fashion nor sufficient notice of the rent increase as legally required. Check your lease and your state landlord tenant laws about the notice to quit requirement (i.e. whether it's 30 days from the date you give notice or 30 days/one month from the date your rent is due). If the former, it's 30 days from when you give him notice this month; the latter, the end of February. Whichever, he can't charge you the increased rent for February.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,394 times
i live in edmonton, alberta, and I am wondering whose responsibility it is to go about renewing a lease. My lease was up on Jan. 1, and I have received no word from my landlord for the last couple months about whether I am looking to renew my lease or not. I was under the impression that he would contact me. Now my rent is $65 more expensive this month (not that big of a deal, but I am a student so an extra $65 a month is not ideal) and I wasn't even given any sort of notice that my rent would increase either! Basically for the last 4 months of my lease, my landlord has been non-existent to me with no form of communication to tell me anything thats going on.
Anyways, my question is whether it was his responsibility to inform me my lease was up, or if it was my responsibility to tell him I wanted to renew it?

Old 01-08-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwilldare00 View Post
i live in edmonton, alberta, and I am wondering whose responsibility it is to go about renewing a lease. My lease was up on Jan. 1, and I have received no word from my landlord for the last couple months about whether I am looking to renew my lease or not. I was under the impression that he would contact me. Now my rent is $65 more expensive this month (not that big of a deal, but I am a student so an extra $65 a month is not ideal) and I wasn't even given any sort of notice that my rent would increase either! Basically for the last 4 months of my lease, my landlord has been non-existent to me with no form of communication to tell me anything thats going on.
Anyways, my question is whether it was his responsibility to inform me my lease was up, or if it was my responsibility to tell him I wanted to renew it?
There is usually a clause in your lease related to renewal so you should check that first. I don't know how much the Canadian landlord tenant laws differ from the US state laws but you should do a google on what's applicable to your province. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:53 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwilldare00 View Post
You might get better answers if you ask this in this forum. //www.city-data.com/forum/edmonton/ Or start a new discussion thread here titled Canada: Renewing a lease. Otherwise you will get a lot of responses based on US laws that may not hold true for Canada.

Maybe this will help http://www.slsedmonton.com/civil/lan...nd-tenant-law/

Old 03-04-2014, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,656 times
i rented my place thru real estate agency and did not realize that if my tenants renew lease next year, i have to pay the same 70% of first month amount to that agency again... and a year after that the same... is it any way get out from that agreement?
Thanks.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laraleon View Post
i rented my place thru real estate agency and did not realize that if my tenants renew lease next year, i have to pay the same 70% of first month amount to that agency again... and a year after that the same... is it any way get out from that agreement?
Thanks.
What you signed is what you're legally bound to.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:50 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laraleon View Post
i rented my place thru real estate agency ...is it any way get out from that agreement?
Take them to Court and ask a Judge to see it YOUR way.

Your (one) point is that THEY wrote the contract. If this continuing fee deal statement
was in any way occluded by other statements the Judge very well may see it your way.
Don't count on it but they might.

The suit might also motivate that RE agent to compromise.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,287 times
My now ex boyfriend and I are cotenants we both signed a six months lease agreement with the apartment. We're at the end of the term of that lease, does renewing the lease means everything stay as is or do we need to sign a new lease agreement?

Old 09-08-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tameika82 View Post
My now ex boyfriend and I are cotenants we both signed a six months lease agreement with the apartment. We're at the end of the term of that lease, does renewing the lease means everything stay as is or do we need to sign a new lease agreement?
Lease renewals are usually automatic and the terms remain the same. If you qualify to rent the unit on your own, talk to your LL and ask that a new lease be made up in your name only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting