Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 10:05 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times

Advertisements

The issue is needing to evict you on the other end, when the year's rent runs out, and you don't pay the rent. In NYC, it's VERY difficult to evict anyone, even for non-payment of rent. So as a LL, if I'm in a state where eviction is very difficult, expensive, and lengthy, I would rather have the place sit empty, than rent it to anyone who is at all a risk.

We've gotten to the point where we won't take ANYONE coming out of homelessness with the help of an agency. There's always a reason that they wound up homeless in the first place (substance abuse, violent criminal partner who magically reappears despite restraining order and moves in, criminal behavior, etc.), and that reason recurs pretty darn quickly. We've had to evict virtually every single household that came with the help of an agency. So, never again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 10:06 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Honestly, if you're homeless, you don't have true friends or family in NYC area. Move to a low cost of living area and get a job there. Much more likely to be able to pay for an apartment on a low-level wage in those areas. There IS life west of the Hudson!

Old 12-07-2017, 10:32 AM

881 posts, read 615,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
The issue is needing to evict you on the other end, when the year's rent runs out, and you don't pay the rent. In NYC, it's VERY difficult to evict anyone, even for non-payment of rent. So as a LL, if I'm in a state where eviction is very difficult, expensive, and lengthy, I would rather have the place sit empty, than rent it to anyone who is at all a risk.

We've gotten to the point where we won't take ANYONE coming out of homelessness with the help of an agency. There's always a reason that they wound up homeless in the first place (substance abuse, violent criminal partner who magically reappears despite restraining order and moves in, criminal behavior, etc.), and that reason recurs pretty darn quickly. We've had to evict virtually every single household that came with the help of an agency. So, never again.
I'm sorry to learn of your bad experiences but honestly I understand the stereotype.

I had started this thread hoping to get a sense of the mindset, as I do know of landlords' extreme reluctance to accept government vouchers and such (De Blasio even had a press conference on this in FEB '16, I remember very distinctly ['cause I saw it on the TV in the shelter cafeteria!])...I didn't mean to drum up sympathy for my plight but it was only in response to "selective cyberstalking" of me that I felt the need to "get personal"...yes, while most guys in the shelters have something involving addiction, conviction, perversion, or retardation (really) as their reason for being there, others more prosaic reasons do exist:

1) Guys kicked out of their homes by the court due to a divorce gone really bad
2) Guys who literally lost everything on bad/silly investments
3) Guys using the shelter as a kind of free hostel, such as those new in town
4) Gays who got kicked out of their house by mom/dad

Again, not to get personal (or "sociological," as the case may be!) but since it's been brought up...well, there you are. FWIW.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:38 AM

881 posts, read 615,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Honestly, if you're homeless, you don't have true friends or family in NYC area. Move to a low cost of living area and get a job there. Much more likely to be able to pay for an apartment on a low-level wage in those areas. There IS life west of the Hudson!
Well, as I'd asked of another who suggested the same:

1) Where?

2) What kind of job out there?

3) How am I supposed to spend what little savings I have on such a gamble?

I don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire, you understand.

And as even a quick perusal of the "Rural and Small Town Living" forum shows, there's a reason why those places have a low COL...namely, economic stagnation -- very quiet job markets. Remember, I'm 44 and have no formal credentials.

(Ideally, I'd just live somewhere small but not too small -- Harrisburg, PA area, perhaps [see, I have been looking, actually] -- and learn programming and data science for free online for six to eight months, living off savings and any work I can get...but it's still quite a huge gamble [like, I'll need to now get a car and make car payments and budget for gas and repairs]!)

Old 01-16-2018, 04:59 PM

303 posts, read 821,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
1) You make enough money to have communicated with those that you owe and come up with some kind of a payment, even if it's only $50 a month.

2) Bad credit doesn't happen overnight. It happens because of a series of bad financial decisions. People who know they need housing try not to make bad financial decisions, because they know their credit can keep them from being rented to.

As a citizen, I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who don't do what they're supposed to in life, and then expect a handout. It would be one thing if there was a terrible disaster in your life that caused you to become homeless. That wouldn't show up in a credit report because up until you became homeless, you (assumedly) took care of your finances. But if the credit history shows bad debt as far back as 7 years, well, it would seem you haven't learned from your mistakes.
Actually bad credit can and does happen overnight. A setback causing you to carry a balance on a CC (if your utilzation goes high, 100 point drop)

A job layoff, score dropped from mid 600s to 420 in a month. Lucky for me back in 2012, I was still able to rent. Nowadays it seems scary. Score back in mid 600s again.

Many people even those at the gold standard of 40x the rent can lose their jobs and get bad credit. I never paid the rent late. ever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting