Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,156 times

Advertisements

So apparently it was in the original lease agreement that i signed that they could automatically renew my lease with NO notification or consent. This is in river ridge, Louisiana. I feel like this is illegal, and i cant really find anything concrete on it. The people in the office told me they have 3-4 people a month that get mad at this and try to fight it, but literally everyone ends up paying. I dont know if they are just trying to con me or trying to save me some hassle. If you have any idea or knowledge please let me know, thanks.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-08-2017 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Removed site specific reference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 06:25 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,490,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wezon View Post
...in the original lease agreement that i signed that they could automatically renew my lease...
And they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TnkJ8_BmSI

What does the lease say about raising rents?
And did they do that according to the lease as well?

Old 12-06-2017, 08:37 PM

32,499 posts, read 47,468,261 times
Yes it is legal for a lease to automatically renew unless you give a written notice that you wish to terminate well before the end date of the lease.

You've signed a contract and when you sign a contract, you are supposed to be aware of what you are signing. It was you that dropped the ball on this one. An expensive lesson to pay more attention to contracts and legal documents.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:05 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,808,573 times
Your authorization and consent was given when you signed the lease.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:22 PM

13,061 posts, read 20,727,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wezon View Post
So apparently it was in the original lease agreement that i signed that they could automatically renew my lease with NO notification or consent.
Grab your lease and find the section that says it automatically renews.

Was the text stating the auto renewal "a heading in capitals equal to or greater in size than the surrounding text, or in contrasting type, font, or color to the surrounding text of the same or lesser size;"
or was it "in larger type than the surrounding text, or in contrasting type, font, or color to the surrounding text of the same size, or set off from surrounding text of the same size by symbols or other marks that call attention to the language"?

If the answer is No to both, the auto renewal provision is most likely void under your state law. However, if you answer YES to any one of those, you are stuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting