Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times

Advertisements

Maybe so, but that doesn't negate the fact that it happens. It's better to maintain good communication to heighten your chances of circumventing that sort of thing. No one has the right, of course, to inhibit a sale by refusing to allow it to be shown with adequate notice, but they have every "right" not to clean the place up first, et al. If they're disgruntled they might be less apt to not tidy up before it's shown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:06 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Maybe so, but that doesn't negate the fact that it happens. It's better to maintain good communication to heighten your chances of circumventing that sort of thing. No one has the right, of course, to inhibit a sale by refusing to allow it to be shown with adequate notice, but they have every "right" not to clean the place up first, et al. If they're disgruntled they might be less apt to not tidy up before it's shown.
Yes, they can not tidy up if they are PO'd. But then they just look like a slob. Real estate agents have notes they tell other agents for situations like that... "Shows messy." Therefore buyers are prepared for tenants who refuse to clean. Personally, I would think that someone isn't raised right if they felt the need to be slob in order to make a point.

If a renter has a problem with the unit being sold from under them then they should do the one thing that can curb such situations... buy their own place.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:41 PM

Hey mammabear, I was just saying what can theoretically happen, not whether its right or wrong or any of that blah blah blah, and I wasn't attempting to start some sort of weird argument with you. Reality is simply what it is. My only point was that dealing with people ethically and with decency often results in them giving you the same in return. Sorry if that concept is difficult for you to grasp.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Hey mammabear, I was just saying what can theoretically happen, not whether its right or wrong or any of that blah blah blah, and I wasn't attempting to start some sort of weird argument with you. Reality is simply what it is. My only point was that dealing with people ethically and with decency often results in them giving you the same in return. Sorry if that concept is difficult for you to grasp.
Didn't you approach me in this conversation? Yet, you're giving me attitude because you can't defend your frivolous point? Okay... THAT makes sense...

A renter is not entitled to anything except adequate notice that a potential buyer is going to enter their dwelling. Period. It has nothing to do with ethics or decency. It's a business that is going to change hands... so, unless a renter is going to BUY the place... they don't need to be concerned about what might not even happen. If you can't back up your point... then it's okay... no need to get your knickers in a twist. If this is all it takes for you to start snapping then I think you and I have nothing more to discuss.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:13 PM

I'll agree that you and I have nothing more to discuss. We obviously have differing ideas on how to treat people, and believe me, I'm more than okay with that.

As far as backing up my point, there's a recently started thread in this particular forum that does that rather nicely.

Thanks to whoever gave me the rep points for my posts in this thread, by the way

Old 03-26-2008, 04:20 PM

Sorry metlakatla, I've already put you on my ignore list right after my last post. You engage me in conversation then you try to insult me. I'm simply not interested in anything you have to say anymore.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Sorry metlakatla, I've already put you on my ignore list right after my last post. You engage me in conversation then you try to insult me. I'm simply not interested in anything you have to say anymore.
That's nice. Have a great day now.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:22 PM

13 posts, read 53,812 times
Default Lhbr702

Just saw your post; Now that all the( &*&^#$) has been said ,as a former rental agent in So. Calif are the facts. The land lord , his representave or his authorized repair person MUST give you at least 24 hr. notice that he will enter the appartment UNLESS there is an emergency etc. gas leak ,water leak ,fire,get what i mean . Now as has happened in many of the houses and apt. that i managed the tennants were always notified of the selling and i my cases they were given 1 week free rent off the monthly fee for making the apt. available. I will say that those who refused this offer were given a 30 day notice of canceling the lease , so with that said look at your lease , talk with the present owner (nicely), discuss a temp. reduction in rent ,and be ready to move. good luck!

Old 03-26-2008, 04:40 PM

beentheredoneitwonit... god that's a long name...

We own rentals in So. Cal. and what you stated is pretty common practice. The last place we put up for sale was in the month of October so it was necessary to tell them early because the tenants might have to move in December. Some owner's offer a reduction in rent - we do if we know it's going to be an inconvenience (if there are more than one or two buyers a week) - but it may not be offered if a renter gets bent out of shape and feels entitled to it. Most of the time it's in the rental contract that a place needs to be made available if potential buyers need to see it. If a renter refused, like you mentioned, he/she would be getting an eviction notice. It's good to stay on decent terms with a current landlord because they make good references. OP should keep that in mind.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 AM

291 posts, read 1,113,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Why would they be obligated to tell you? You don't own the property. How much of a pain in the a$$ would that be for landlords to be required to let every single tenant know that they are selling the property... I can see it now... "Tenants sue because landlord didn't give notice of intent to sell..."

The only notice that the landlord would be required to do is when an agent/prospective buyer has to enter the home (check your lease on the time frame).
I don't recall saying anything about suing nor did I suggest that a tentant has any "say" in whether or not a landlord chooses to sell the property he owns. All I asked is whether a landlord typically has any obligation to notify a tenant since the tenant will then either be asked to "show" the property or have strangers enter their home to view the property, and may be asked to vacate by the new owner.

I thank everyone for their responses and for the record, my landlord and I spoke and he apologized for not letting me know ahead of time that he would be listing the property. He said he intended to, but time just got away from him. Although it may not be a legal requirement, he also thought that the courtesy should have been extended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting