Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 07:14 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,897,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it has nothing to do wih march . they will give you january but never pay feb knowing they are leaving . they would just never give it to you and force you to apply the security your holding to feb . then they move and you don't have a dime in security for any issues . to many tenants do not pay the rent for their final month there .

you could start eviction proceedings for non payment of feb but by the time it hits the courts they are long gone .
umm ok.. When i pay on the first of each month, that rent is for that month. Ok so i pay the first month rent. Now its the second month, I pay you rent at the start of that month. A few days later, i find a cheaper rental but not ready till end of the month. So since my rent is current, as i am still in the same month, i tell you that i am leaving or not.. does it matter? My rent is paid for that current month I am in your house. Why should I have to pay for another month when i am not in your house? much less your still going to keep the security deposit.. ( not directly to you). I witness some BS reasons on not getting a deposit back from forgetting to replace a $5 screen in a bathroom window.. to just being a day late on the notice of vacate.

1. Jan First month. Paid
2. Feb paid.. give notice or not but will be out by end of month.
3. March not paid because i am not in your house but u want last month rent? after all march is the last month or is it feb. If thats the case.. then you already got your last month rent. My last month was Feb.

Is this right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 07:46 PM

32,497 posts, read 47,458,225 times
You have to give at least 30 day notice. So if you plan to leave at the end of February, you give notice on the first of February and because your last month is already paid, you do not pay for February.

If you pay for February then on the 10th of February, you decide you want to move, you give your notice on the 10th and because you have to give your 30 day notice, you are still going to owe rent for March (which has been prepaid )

Altough, you are probably on a lease and have to pay for the entire rest of the year.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:57 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,577,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
holding nothing is the plan? I mean you give the deposit back if they meet your terms? then again i meet a few LL terms and never gotten a full refund. So whats the risk of a person leaving at the last month if they are on month to month.. If they are a lease, 6 months and people pay that up front is a choice not a demand. So i can see why the law prevents you from "demanding" more from a tenant, but shouldn't be a block of the renter is willing to pay it up front.
There are still downsides to this. It really puts the renter at a disadvantage. What happens if after month one, the place becomes uninhabitable because there is no heat, running water, etc.? Or if a natural disaster comes and wipes out the building and the landlord is also wiped out financially trying to repair the building and can’t pay the tenant back? Then the renter is out 5 months’ rent and probably doesn’t have money to find a new place. When I lived in Japan, 5-6 months upfront to move in was extremely common, and you were typically only entitled to around 2 months back at the end of a lease. Needless to say, if you have a $1200 a month place and realize your first 3 months that you don’t like it, are you going to want to save up another $6K so you can move the next year? It really makes it prohibitive to make moves if a place doesn’t work out, because you wouldn’t get the 2 months back until you’re in the new place.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:39 PM

6,312 posts, read 4,774,773 times
Quote:

Is this right?

Now you are just being a troll, asking the same question over and over again just to be argumentative.

In NYC it's the law.

If you don't like it move out of NYC and live where you can pay as much rent up front as you like.

It's that simple.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:50 AM

105,739 posts, read 107,717,837 times
Quote:
umm ok.. When i pay on the first of each month, that rent is for that month. Ok so i pay the first month rent. Now its the second month, I pay you rent at the start of that month. A few days later, i find a cheaper rental but not ready till end of the month. So since my rent is current, as i am still in the same month, i tell you that i am leaving or not.. does it matter? My rent is paid for that current month I am in your house. Why should I have to pay for another month when i am not in your house? much less your still going to keep the security deposit.. ( not directly to you). I witness some BS reasons on not getting a deposit back from forgetting to replace a $5 screen in a bathroom window.. to just being a day late on the notice of vacate.

1. Jan First month. Paid
2. Feb paid.. give notice or not but will be out by end of month.
3. March not paid because i am not in your house but u want last month rent? after all march is the last month or is it feb. If thats the case.. then you already got your last month rent. My last month was Feb.

Is this right?
noooo , you still have it wrong .

if you take an apartment whether short term or a year and give first months rent and security you pay at the beginning of each month .

so if you start in january ,january is paid . lets say you pay feb and plan on moving in to a new place in april ..

what happens typically is you don't pay march's rent . you live off the security for march as it is called and never pay march . you move april 1st and now the landlord has damages and you already used the security for march's rent leaving the landlord with nothing in security.

what is so hard about this ?

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-20-2017 at 04:27 AM..

Old 12-20-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
noooo , you still have it wrong .

if you take an apartment whether short term or a year and give first months rent and security you pay at the beginning of each month .

so if you start in january ,january is paid . lets say you pay feb and plan on moving in to a new place in april ..

what happens typically is you don't pay march's rent . you live off the security for march as it is called and never pay march . you move april 1st and now the landlord has damages and you already used the security for march's rent leaving the landlord with nothing in security.

what is so hard about this ?
I moved out in march not april. so at the end of feb i am out of the apt.. I gave you notice at the first of feb that i be out at end of the month.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:50 PM

and my answer was --- as to why i get last month's rent and security ? . if i did not get security and last months rent then suppose you did not pay me your feburary rent .

you paid january , never gave me feb and moved out in march

so you stuck me and i used your security as feb rent . now i have no security if there are damages when you move if i don't get both ...

stabilization is bad in that respect because they won't let me do that . most tenants live off their security the last month they are there . then i hold nothing .

but my non stabilized always give me first month ,last month and security

Old 12-20-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
There are still downsides to this. It really puts the renter at a disadvantage. What happens if after month one, the place becomes uninhabitable because there is no heat, running water, etc.? Or if a natural disaster comes and wipes out the building and the landlord is also wiped out financially trying to repair the building and can’t pay the tenant back? Then the renter is out 5 months’ rent and probably doesn’t have money to find a new place. When I lived in Japan, 5-6 months upfront to move in was extremely common, and you were typically only entitled to around 2 months back at the end of a lease. Needless to say, if you have a $1200 a month place and realize your first 3 months that you don’t like it, are you going to want to save up another $6K so you can move the next year? It really makes it prohibitive to make moves if a place doesn’t work out, because you wouldn’t get the 2 months back until you’re in the new place.
this is why most states require any prepayment beyond a month or 2 if allowed to be classified as a security deposit and not rent .

as a deposit i have to hold it in a separate account under the tenants ss number not mine . rent is all mine up front so there is a difference between the two in many states as to how they are held and what is my money vs their money .

Old 12-20-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
and my answer was --- as to why i get last month's rent and security ? . if i did not get security and last months rent then suppose you did not pay me your feburary rent .

you paid january , never gave me feb and moved out in march

so you stuck me and i used your security as feb rent . now i have no security if there are damages when you move if i don't get both ...

stabilization is bad in that respect because they won't let me do that . most tenants live off their security the last month they are there . then i hold nothing .

but my non stabilized always give me first month ,last month and security
so your really asking is deposit and 2 months rent up front vs typical places just ask for first month and deposit..just another way of working the system..

Old 12-20-2017, 04:39 PM

yes , that is what i said from the start .

iI GET FIRST MONTHS RENT ,LAST MONTHS RENT , 1 MONTH SECURITY !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting