Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 03:52 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yes , that is what i said from the start .

iI GET FIRST MONTHS RENT ,LAST MONTHS RENT , 1 MONTH SECURITY !
So do u make them pay for that 3rd month if they move out in the second month? Say feb the are out at the end of the month. u still make them pay for march even tho they are not in it? they gave u notice in feb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 04:28 PM

492 posts, read 638,170 times
I’m not mathjak107, but that “3rd month” is a security deposit. If there is no damage when the renter moves out Feb 28th they get that money back. Any damage or days in March they stay is taken out of that deposit, and they get the rest back.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:19 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I’m not mathjak107, but that “3rd month” is a security deposit. If there is no damage when the renter moves out Feb 28th they get that money back. Any damage or days in March they stay is taken out of that deposit, and they get the rest back.
That is what i was trying to get at.. and i agree with that.. But making them pay that 3rd month and you still have their security deposit is what i cant understand.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:23 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
That is what i was trying to get at.. and i agree with that.. But making them pay that 3rd month and you still have their security deposit is what i cant understand.
It is 2 months of "rent" (1st and last month) + whatever amount is allowed (per state) to be collected for a "sec dep". It is not 3 months of rent + sec dep.

Paying that last month of rent is just an extra assurance in case someone were to skip out on paying their last month because they figure that their sec dep can/will cover their last month of rent and that is wrong to assume that. Sec dep is not meant to cover a tenant's last month of rent. So by collecting that last month up front then the sec dep can be used for what it should be used for; damages, unpaid rent, late fees, etc during the course of their lease, if applicable. If there are no damages then you get your full sec dep back. And by the tenant paying that "last month" ahead it means you don't have to pay your last month of rent while living there.

Not all states allow this practice and yet there are some states that allow other amounts to be collected for various things so it is all state-specific.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:56 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i am done . you guys can explain it to him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting