Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 02:55 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times

Advertisements

Where I use to live 55+ & Disabled Apt building. Those Doors on the trash shoot are Heavy & Snap close Quickly. I knew some of those 90# little old Folks left the trash by the chute. BTW in the 3 years I lived there was NO Rat Mice or Bug problems. O there were Less complaints of people Not using the chute at nite from those whose apt are next to the chutes wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 03:00 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
I say leave it and let management deal with it. First, is not your building. I understand that is disgusting, but you don't sleep on that area, and is very hard to make others do what they don't want to do. Second, maybe the management already know this issue, if you are the first one who brought up the issue, the finger might be pointing at you for raising this concern. Of course, you have the right to let the management know, but understand the part that maybe they don't like you to tell them what to do. Some time when you try to do the right thing, people simply don't care, and worst of all, they don't even appreciate what you did.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:37 PM

22,451 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I say leave it and let management deal with it. First, is not your building. I understand that is disgusting, but you don't sleep on that area, and is very hard to make others do what they don't want to do. Second, maybe the management already know this issue, if you are the first one who brought up the issue, the finger might be pointing at you for raising this concern. Of course, you have the right to let the management know, but understand the part that maybe they don't like you to tell them what to do. Some time when you try to do the right thing, people simply don't care, and worst of all, they don't even appreciate what you did.
^^^^All very good points that did cross my mind... I go back and forth when it comes to this. Part of me wants to bring it up while another part of me says don't say anything. My husband said that he will take the trash there as long as I bag it up I'll think I'll take him up on his offer

The building is a high rise so it's a steel and concrete structure. The trash/recycling room has a concrete floor, walls and ceiling. It backs to the elevators. However, one apartment shares a wall with it. It's that way on every floor.

The chute isn't very heavy at all. We are older folks and have no trouble with it. That said, I'm sure the chute structure in other buildings is different.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:45 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Should I point this out to management? My husband, who agrees with me that this behavior is disgusting, says that we should just let it be because everyday the cleaning staff comes around and cleans the trash room.

What are your thoughts about this?

As long as the cleaning crew cleans it up daily, I suggest you ignore it.

Unnecessary complaints to management put you on management's radar and everything you do will get scrutinized. And if not that, then ratting out neighbors for minor stuff is never a good idea. You have no way of knowing what kind of lunatic lives down the hall.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:01 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,166 times
My old building in the Bronx actually closed the garbage chute which was next to my apartment because of neighbors not dumping garbage down the shoot, but leaving the bags next to the door.
Ended up having to go to the dumpster downstairs. Another bronx apartment, someone left a note on the door for the laziness. This was a 24 story highrise , the other 6 floors. I’d leave a note . Might not work

Old 01-08-2018, 09:10 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,184 times
Take photos of the offending chute and send them to the management office.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
Take photos of the offending chute and send them to the management office.
We did take photos. However, when my husband sent a "contact us" email, there was no way to attach photos. No one ever got back to him. So...we haven't tried contacting anyone since then.

Now, my husband is the one taking the trash and recycling to the trash/recycling room. That way, I don't have to see the mess as it annoys me

Old 01-08-2018, 12:13 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We did take photos. However, when my husband sent a "contact us" email, there was no way to attach photos. No one ever got back to him. So...we haven't tried contacting anyone since then.

Now, my husband is the one taking the trash and recycling to the trash/recycling room. That way, I don't have to see the mess as it annoys me
You may want talk to the janitor that picks up the garbage, and ask if this is an ongoing problem/every floor, if so, how has it been addressed in the past, if at all.

Also, mail dated photos with an attached note/request to managment and see how they respond.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
You may want talk to the janitor that picks up the garbage, and ask if this is an ongoing problem/every floor, if so, how has it been addressed in the past, if at all.

Also, mail dated photos with an attached note/request to managment and see how they respond.
We haven't seen anyone picking up the trash so we're not sure what time of day they come to the trash/recycle room. I do know that they clean it everyday.

As I pointed out previously, the cleaning staff is timid. IMO, they should inform management of the trash/recycle room situation but my feeling is that they don't want to make waves.

If we could figure out how to attach photos to emails to them, we would have done it. Using "contact us" to get in touch doesn't give one the option of sending photos.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:25 PM

304 posts, read 295,513 times
What makes you say they are timid? Maybe they just see that some issues aren't worth pursuing. In my experience it's been common for people to leave their personal trash right next to the disposal area, whether its a dumpster or a chute. You say it's cleaned daily. Is it really an issue worth pursuing after you've already brought it up once? It seems like everything runs fairly efficiently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting