Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 11:37 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,344 times

Advertisements

Accommodate the landlord. He isn't looking for a messy house. He needs to insure the property is being maintained. He might wish to check for loose/leaky turn off valves under sinks, toilet seals, loose cabinets, non-working smoke/fire alarms, etc.

It's better to work with the landlord to solve any issues. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 12:25 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I have mandatory insurance inspections at times...

Several were for new coverage as the company I had and liked pulled out of California... so it was nothing "I" did.

Also had received notices about prohibited breeds of dogs... we didn't have any but the insurance company said it has the right to verify...

The only other time was for electrical inspection... one of the carriers was non-renewing older homes/apartments with fuses... I had the permits from the upgrades I did but two of the buildings I managed I had nothing... so the carrier sent out someone to look at the electrical service...

Some of my friends have had drive-by inspections... and received letters for cracked driveways/walks or tree hazards...

Note... every instance about the property location is Oakland CA...

Old 01-31-2018, 02:21 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,494 times
you can't. better let them in. if you don't the landlord will probably break the door down.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
you can't. better let them in. if you don't the landlord will probably break the door down.
No. He’s gonna use his key.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:24 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
If I had a tenant that wouldn't let me inspect with proper notice, (and I'd be happy to reschedule for illness), they'd be receiving a notice to vacate. I'd assume they were hiding something...illegal drugs, unauthorized pets, extreme damage,vetc.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 786 times
This is crazy. I just delt with same issue. Had to make A few repairs & get an inspection for our little town (yes required every 2 years for the safety of the renters). I had to fight with the tenant to gain entry to the home. Had to rechedule 3 times because they had “parties” to attend to. Yes, as a home owner & this is our investment you should be able to make sure things are taken care of. Tenants don’t care if the sink is leaking, or if the furnace filter needs changed-well you get the idea! Well, I know why they didn’t want me in the house. the new carpet was stained, the dog chewed all the woodwork, the door was broken, etc..These are adults. Next lease I am doing every 3/6 month inspections.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessadawn View Post
This is crazy. I just delt with same issue. Had to make A few repairs & get an inspection for our little town (yes required every 2 years for the safety of the renters). I had to fight with the tenant to gain entry to the home. Had to rechedule 3 times because they had “parties” to attend to. Yes, as a home owner & this is our investment you should be able to make sure things are taken care of. Tenants don’t care if the sink is leaking, or if the furnace filter needs changed-well you get the idea! Well, I know why they didn’t want me in the house. the new carpet was stained, the dog chewed all the woodwork, the door was broken, etc..These are adults. Next lease I am doing every 3/6 month inspections.
Some tenants; not all

Old 03-03-2018, 07:17 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Some tenants; not all

I was going to post the same thing. Some landlords seem to think that ALL tenants don't care about the property. Whether I own it or not I have to live there so I will keep it neat, tidy and well maintained and I will call the landlord when there is a small problem before it becomes a big problem.

Not all renters are dirty, uncaring slobs. That being said I bought my own home last August and it is so nice to be the "master of my domain".

Old 03-03-2018, 08:32 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBass View Post
From what I have read, some states do allow periodic "routine inspections", but CA is not one of them. They can only come in to fix something, inspect waterbeds, or in an emergency. Otherwise, they are supposed to have a court order. But he claims his insurance company is telling him to do it. I guess they don't know it's illegal, or they don't care. I have had the flu, so the house is messy, and I don't feel like dealing with someone snooping around, looking for some reason to evict me. How do I say no, without pissing him off? Because when housing is scarce, no one wants a pissed off landlord. This is a single family house, not under rent control. Thanks.
If he's smart he will hire an extermination company to spray every month, that way he can come in with you there or not and inspect the place too.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:36 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Clean the place up, hire a housekeeper for a day, whatever it takes. If I owned a place I would make sure I stuck to what an insurance adjuster insisted on.

In my complex they do routine periodic inspections to make sure apartments are up to code. I suppose they may be looking for drug use or whatever but it's more to make sure everything is working properly, up to fire code, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting