Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 08:40 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,296,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
Why does that matter? If the LL is wrong, and is proven wrong in court, it won’t matter. It will be pretty easy to explain to a new LL why they can’t get a reference.

Now, I know what comes next. Most wont rent to someone who has been to court with a LL. If I was the OP I wouldn’t want to rent from someone who was excluding me for that reason anyway, as it could mean that LL is also up to no good, or not following laws, and doesn’t want to get called on it
No one has ever contacted a past landlord for a reference, they do credit checks, and I've never been denied a rental for any reason, either. I have good credit, good rental history, stable income, has and good references from everyone I've ever rented from if necessary. But if someone did contact this jerk, and he gave me a bad reference, he wouldn't be very happy, because I would know who it was. And I would explain to the person that called exactly what he did.

I just rented an apartment yesterday without a problem. I met with the leasing agent, went home, filled out the application online, paid the application fee, sent her copies of my id and income for the past month, and I was approved without a problem.

I happen to be a model tenant. I pay my rent on time, rarely ask for repairs, I'm quiet, and not around a lot. I tell prospective landlords this: I'm a senior citizen on SS, and work part-time (sometimes full time). I'm clean, quiet, don't drink, smoke, do drugs, throw wild parties, and my former property manager didn't want me to move out.

Last edited by moved; 05-12-2018 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
moved,

I'm just curious: are you worried about potentially needing a reference from your current landlord in the future?
No.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
This is why it is important to be complete when preparing rental agreements.

If the tenant is responsible for maintaining the yard... you will not see my show up announced unless it is the 5th and I don't have the rent.

Most of the property comes with lawn/garden service... and it is understood that exterior access is required during normal working hours...

I've had tenants write notes because the gardener was mowing at 9 am on a Friday... saying they were trying to sleep in but couldn't...

Sometimes it is what it is.
Correct.

In the case of my current rental, neither the landlord or son-in-know what they're doing. I told the landlord was told that I work mostly nights, don't get up early in the morning, and don't drive to work. Yet, he continued to show up, wake me up, and want me to move my van for him to get into the illegal shed.

He has sent me nasty text and email messages because he doesn't get an immediate response and has done the same with my neighbor. He and the son-in-law continued to ignore the fact that I work, and apparently think I sit around all day waiting for them to show up.

The son-in-law showed up at 11:30am on morning, and pounded on the door, yelling to see if I was home. Someone else can have their problems.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:04 AM

784 posts, read 727,670 times
It sounds like the LL is not going into your residence, only accessing the shed on the property.

Is the shed locked, and do you have the keys to the shed? Is the land open to the public, or is there a closed gate that he needs to get past? If a lawncare crew showed up to mow grass, would they have access to the same part of the property?

If the above is true, and If I were you, I would move. There is nothing against the law to show up and maintain the outside of the property, that is basically open to the public. Virtually anyone can walk through a yard legally, neighbors, meter readers, kids that lose a ball, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The son-in-law showed up at 11:30am on morning, and pounded on the door, yelling to see if I was home. Someone else can have their problems.
There is nothing the matter with this. Anyone can do that.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
It sounds like the LL is not going into your residence, only accessing the shed on the property.

Is the shed locked, and do you have the keys to the shed? Is the land open to the public, or is there a closed gate that he needs to get past? If a lawncare crew showed up to mow grass, would they have access to the same part of the property?

If the above is true, and If I were you, I would move. There is nothing against the law to show up and maintain the outside of the property, that is basically open to the public. Virtually anyone can walk through a yard legally, neighbors, meter readers, kids that lose a ball, etc.

There is nothing the matter with this. Anyone can do that.
The landlord had the shed assembled in MY driveway, and put into MY yard, both of which are included in my lease. He authorized the guys assembling the shed to use my outdoor electrical outlet, and thinks that the second parking space in the driveway belongs to him. I do not have keys to the shed. The shed is illegally on the property, and to access it, I have to move my van, I don't drive to work, and I don't have to move it if I don't want to.

My neighbor is supposed to weed whack the grass and weeds for a $50 rent reduction, but got tired of the landlord's crap themselves, so he stopped doing it. Meters are not read on site here anymore, they're digital, the kids on the street actually have manners, don't go onto property that doesn't belong to them, and the public doesn't come down my street, because it's a side street.

I moved in last June, and the landlord showed several times without notice, and one time he sent me a same day text asking if it was a good time to go in.

The gas/electric company is coming out on Tuesday to condemn my stove a second time - one year later. The landlord doesn't think that there's a problem with it, but offered to replace it after eight months.

I am moving out, and decided after living here for 30 days, that I didn't think it would work, and was just waiting out the 30 days before my lease ended so that I could start looking. I signed a lease on another apartment, and am getting the keys on Wednesday, at which time, I'll start moving my belongings over.

I went through an Elder Law attorney to discuss the landlord problem. She had me email her my lease, photos of the house, and anything else that I had (I started keeping in summary after I moved in, which is now eight pages). She agreed with me that he was violation of the lease, and also the CA LL Tenant R&R's. She sent him a letter, he hit the roof, and called me a liar. He claimed the house was renovated and professionally cleaned before putting it up for rent, but it wasn't and he doesn't have receipts, because the son-in-laws family did the "cleaning." Both he and the son-in-law refuse to accept the fact that I work, and that information is on my application. He also claimed that he did a walk through with me after I got the keys, but he was in NY at the time, and I didn't meet him until two weeks later. He claims that he has text messages from me saying how happy I was living there, but he doesn't, because I do things like that.

I rent a one bedroom cottage, I live in it by myself, and the other house on the property is on a different street. My neighbors in the other house on the propriety have been living her for nine years with no problems, until this guy bought the property, then they started having problems with him showing up on the doorstep. He told them that he wants them to move out, because he can get more money for the house than they're paying, he's not going to return their deposit, and he's going to keep their washer/dryer, that they bought. Now they plan to start looking for another place to live.

I have a year's worth of documentation, and close to or over 100 pictures of the condition of the house, and it'll hold up in court. All he has is the fact that I pay the rent on time every month, and won't let him into his shed that's not supposed to be there in the first place.

He wants the rental income from the property, but wants access to the property whenever he feels like it. I'll be out by the end of the week, and am going to try to force him to do a walk through with me, but he probably won't. But that's OK, the pictures will serve the purpose.

He wants the rental income from the property, but wants access to the property whenever he feels like it. I'll be out by the end of the week, and am going to send him an email to do a walk through with me, but he probably won't. But that's OK if he doesn't, the pictures will serve the purpose, and I'll have his email refusing to do it.

Last edited by moved; 05-13-2018 at 10:32 AM..

Old 05-13-2018, 04:02 PM

6,552 posts, read 8,376,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
Virtually anyone can walk through a yard legally, neighbors, meter readers, kids that lose a ball, etc.
Actually, trespassing laws prohibit virtually anyone from stepping foot on private property without permission. In your list, the exception would likely be the meter reader.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:56 PM

784 posts, read 727,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Actually, trespassing laws prohibit virtually anyone from stepping foot on private property without permission. In your list, the exception would likely be the meter reader.
You need to understand no trespassing laws and how they are enforced and fines issued.

Is there a No Trespassing sign posted on the property on all sides? In the trespassers language? Has the offender been served to not trespass?

If the above is not true, a citation cannot be issued.

I would bet in CA, someone could go inside your home and as long as they did not commit a crime, it would not be a criminal offense.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:58 PM

There are no meter readers here anymore, the meters are digital, and automatically read, so no one comes on the property without notice. The JV's do, but they leave very quickly when I get done with them.

The landlord doesn't understand that when he rented the property to me, it became my property. I've lost a lot of income living here, because of his constant interference with my work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting