Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 12:12 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times

Advertisements

Ideally, I prefer to be upstairs but all the complaints on here are about upstairs neighbors. I've only lived in 3 apartments, all upstairs. One complained about loud walking and being able to hear the toilet flush. I was surprised bc I'm a quiet walker. My family always joked that they needed to put cow bells on me bc they never hear me. The complaint gave me anxiety and I found myself shuffling instead of walking and I wouldn't flush every time I used the bathroom.

I've never lived downstairs but I'm pretty easy going so I'd probably be less uptight about noise but I am a little worried about safety issues and I love having my windows open when I sleep which isn't good for the first floor.

I would get a townhome but I can't afford it right now. So, do I go upstairs and possibly wind up a topic of these threads or go downstairs and give up a few things I like for a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 01:33 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Down bass advantages in the heat, but the pounding from above is awful, however toilet flushing is normal. Some places are built far better than others. One problem is people put in flooring that is not appropriate for the situation. Tile will amplify sound through a concrete floor.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:45 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
If you can do stairs, I'd go with upstairs. You can just not wear shoes in the apartment. If you put down rugs, that helps, too. Then don't flush the toilet in the middle of the night if that's an issue. You get heat rising from the downstairs apt, so as long as there is insulation in the attic/roof, you're okay. We always put extra insulation in the attic above in our rental properties, but most LLs would not, unless they're paying the heating bill.

You sound like a considerate, overly sensitive person. I'd probably be happy to have you living above me!

As for the sleeping with the windows open, you're right, it's not safe to do on the ground floor. You will hear outside noise from 2nd floor, but at least you can do it safely.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:53 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Only way to know which situation for your new apartment is to check out the building, if there is any way for you to do that.

If the building is solid and sounds don't transfer, then you will be safe (no complaints) living upstairs. If the building is such that every footfall thuds on the downstairs people, then you will either be the target of all the complaints if you're upstairs, or have to put up with the noise yourself if you're downstairs. It's very difficult to know these things before you move into an apartment, but perhaps you could knock on a few doors and just ask. They can only tell you to shove off. I have lived in both kinds and would rather be upstairs in the noisy ones (of course) but you have to make sure you are not right above someone who goes nuts at every sound. They can make your life hell.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Only way to know which situation for your new apartment is to check out the building, if there is any way for you to do that.

If the building is solid and sounds don't transfer, then you will be safe (no complaints) living upstairs. If the building is such that every footfall thuds on the downstairs people, then you will either be the target of all the complaints if you're upstairs, or have to put up with the noise yourself if you're downstairs. It's very difficult to know these things before you move into an apartment, but perhaps you could knock on a few doors and just ask. They can only tell you to shove off. I have lived in both kinds and would rather be upstairs in the noisy ones (of course) but you have to make sure you are not right above someone who goes nuts at every sound. They can make your life hell.
The only way to get that information is if the complex has an empty upstairs and downstairs unit in the same building. Then I could stand downstairs and have someone walk upstairs and vice versa. Otherwise, there's no way to know until it's too late.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:38 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
I always feel safer upstairs in an apartment because no one can break in thru the windows. Plus less noise.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:27 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Ideally, I prefer to be upstairs but all the complaints on here are about upstairs neighbors. I've only lived in 3 apartments, all upstairs. One complained about loud walking and being able to hear the toilet flush. I was surprised bc I'm a quiet walker. My family always joked that they needed to put cow bells on me bc they never hear me. The complaint gave me anxiety and I found myself shuffling instead of walking and I wouldn't flush every time I used the bathroom.

I've never lived downstairs but I'm pretty easy going so I'd probably be less uptight about noise but I am a little worried about safety issues and I love having my windows open when I sleep which isn't good for the first floor.

I would get a townhome but I can't afford it right now. So, do I go upstairs and possibly wind up a topic of these threads or go downstairs and give up a few things I like for a year?
It doesn't really make a difference, despite what people say.

I live upstairs and I can hear my neighbor sneeze.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:16 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It doesn't really make a difference, despite what people say.

I live upstairs and I can hear my neighbor sneeze.
I disagree. There's nothing worse than being downstairs from someone who's walking around all day and whose footsteps thud overhead every time they move. It's like living with a machine over your head, thudding over and over. It can drive you mad.

And OP, you could just knock on people's doors and ask them if they're bothered by noise overhead. It wouldn't hurt and you might get some decent answers. Better than trusting to the unknown.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:55 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Rent a house...

Old 02-14-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Rent a house...
If I can't afford a townhome, how can I afford a house.

There's nothing more annoying than getting responses outside of the parameters of the question. Should I get a Honda or Toyota? ... Get a Porsche. Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting