Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 09:50 PM

4 posts, read 2,163 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My apartment says I had to give a 60 day written notice if I did not want to renew the lease. My lease is a short lease (2 month lease) so it would not be possible for me to give a 60 day notice when I moved in.

However, I told the staff verbally during negotiations and move in that I just wanted a 2 month lease without renewal. I was reassured they would put it in the documents in which they never did, so unfortunately there was not a written info on my lease documents.

During this time, I was also not given a notice for lease renewal during this time so I assumed they understood my intent to not renew and I did not need to follow up. They want to now charge me additional rent. What are my options? Can they take that oral agreement as notice to not renew the lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 06:15 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlaser View Post
Hello,
My apartment says I had to give a 60 day written notice if I did not want to renew the lease.
My lease is a short lease (2 month lease) so...
Is that a recurring 60 day cycle or jut the one short term period?

If recurring then notice aligns.
If not recurring... notice is moot.

Quote:
However, I told the staff verbally during negotiations...
(but) there was not a written info on my lease documents.
And yet you signed it.

Quote:
What are my options?
Only one that I can see:
Invite them to take you to Court where you can explain yourself to a Judge.

If the have any sense they'll back off.
If they don't you might even get treble damages.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:13 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
What does your lease say about it?

What city and state are you in?

Old 02-16-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Is that a recurring 60 day cycle or jut the one short term period?

If recurring then notice aligns.
If not recurring... notice is moot.

And yet you signed it.

Only one that I can see:
Invite them to take you to Court where you can explain yourself to a Judge.

If the have any sense they'll back off.
If they don't you might even get treble damages.
This is just one short term period. What do you mean the notice is moot? Does that mean I did not have to give the 60 day notice in this case?

Old 02-16-2018, 09:24 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlaser View Post
Does that mean I did not have to give the 60 day notice in this case?
It means (as you pointed out) you already gave them 60 days notice when you moved in.

If THEY really believe there is another interpretation to be made...
1) the onus is on them to draft their lease to make that clear
2) they get to explain themselves to a Judge.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:05 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
If you lease has a start and end date with no mention of renewals, there is NO 60 days notice as the lease sunsets. Can you post the wording from the lease that talks about the rental period of the lease with all words (omit personal info)?

Old 02-16-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
What does your lease say about it?

What city and state are you in?
Quote:
If you lease has a start and end date with no mention of renewals, there is NO 60 days notice as the lease sunsets. Can you post the wording from the lease that talks about the rental period of the lease with all words (omit personal info)?
I do not have the lease with me. The office people have it and there is no electronic copy for me. However, it had read:

Lease contract says the lease will expire on the last day of contract and it will switch to a month to month plan. If you plan to not renew, the notification must be a 60 day written notice from the end date. On the month to month plan, the apartment will require 30 day written notice.

I can understand if this is for longer lease terms (6 month+). However, mine is 2 months long. Isn't it unreasonable to require a written notification prior to my move in date? If there was notification from the apartment to tell me to do so, then fine, I would have let them know in writing. However, there was no notification from the apartment to renew prior or first few days of move in Then while my lease is almost up, they hit me with this saying "why have you not notified us 60 days prior?"

It is like they expect me to walk in before I even move in and say "Here is my written notice to not renew my lease".

Last edited by Jlaser; 02-16-2018 at 11:25 AM..

Old 02-16-2018, 11:56 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Have you even bothered responding to management explaining what you have here? That may just resolve all of this.

If they don't comply or understand and they try to keep your sec dep or charge you, etc then call their bluff and just let them take it in front of a judge to decide, if need be. A judge will see how idiotic the whole thing is. The whole purpose for writing a 2 month lease was already basically giving your notice. Yeesh.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Have you even bothered responding to management explaining what you have here? That may just resolve all of this.

If they don't comply or understand and they try to keep your sec dep or charge you, etc then call their bluff and just let them take it in front of a judge to decide, if need be. A judge will see how idiotic the whole thing is. The whole purpose for writing a 2 month lease was already basically giving your notice. Yeesh.
Yes, their initial reply was "the notification to not renew must be a 60 day written notice from the end date"

I believe that is what they are just trained to say when dealing with lease renewal issue, no matter the duration of the lease. I could not reach them yesterday but will try again today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting