Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 02:22 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renter0330 View Post
I moved into my house in the middle of November. The landlord agreed to let us pay our deposits in payments ($100/week). We paid the first $100 the week we moved in. Now, almost three months later and two months after finishing paying the deposit, they have sent me a letter stating they did not receive that payment and that I owe them more money. The rental company and landlord have a history of money problems (not paying taxes on rental properties, bankruptcy, etc.) I no longer have my money order receipt because it was paid in November and we have talked to them several times since without a mention of this problem until now. What options do I have?
Your options are to learn from your mistakes and pay by check and/or get a signed receipt from someone you give a money order to, along with keeping the copy of your money order receipt.

You have no proof you've paid. This isn't a good scenario for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 03:19 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
You can attempt to find an alternative copy of the money order from the money order company. If you paid cash it is a little harder but not impossible. Go to where you got the money order from and talk to them.

Outside of you proving you made the payment you don't really have options.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:34 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Where did you purchase your money order?

I purchase a money order from the Post Office once. The person claimed I did not pay them. Went back to the Post Office and within a week I had proof. They can track it. You might want to check with the place you purchased your money order.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:04 PM

6,561 posts, read 8,393,687 times
OP might be able to gather proof he purchased a money order but that doesn't prove the money order was received by the landlord.*

Adding the caveat: Unless OP sent the payment certified with return receipt and has kept that receipt.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:10 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Even if she finds the receipt for the money order - that's no proof she actually gave it to them. It just means she bought one.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:07 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Even if she finds the receipt for the money order - that's no proof she actually gave it to them. It just means she bought one.
With the receipt the money order can be tracked and a copy of the signed and deposited check provided as proof of payment. If it turns out it wasn't deposited then a refund can be issued and the OP can provide new payment.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:52 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
With the receipt the money order can be tracked and a copy of the signed and deposited check provided as proof of payment. If it turns out it wasn't deposited then a refund can be issued and the OP can provide new payment.
Correct! I have done it.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:31 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Any time you make a payment ask for a receipt. Also make sure you take a picture of the money order with your camera and save it to a file in your email so you will always have access to it. Take a picture of the receipt that anyone gives you from now on when you request it if they don't offer it. If they say they can't give you a receipt you can write your own one out and ask them to sign it. If something seems shady take your phone out and videotape the transaction.

The thing that seems shady is that they would wait 2 months to let you know they don't have it. Tell them you have the receipts and you will need time to find them. Maybe the money order company can find proof that they were cashed call them and ask and let them know you only have the amount and the dates and who it was paid to and see if they can help.

They may have lost the money order, but too bad it's on them. You gave it to them and paid it. If you pay someone cash and they lose the money you don't have to pay again.

You said you knew they were shady with money so you have to be the one to make sure you get proof of any payment. There are a lot of crooks out there along with the good people. You have to protect yourself from the crooks.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 03-07-2018 at 06:58 AM..

Old 03-07-2018, 06:34 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renter0330 View Post
I moved into my house in the middle of November. The landlord agreed to let us pay our deposits in payments ($100/week). We paid the first $100 the week we moved in. Now, almost three months later and two months after finishing paying the deposit, they have sent me a letter stating they did not receive that payment and that I owe them more money. The rental company and landlord have a history of money problems (not paying taxes on rental properties, bankruptcy, etc.) I no longer have my money order receipt because it was paid in November and we have talked to them several times since without a mention of this problem until now. What options do I have?
What state are you in?

That is a key point in the conversation.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:28 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
The post on this thread--with few exceptions--are absolutely terrible.

First, lets be clear on something. Assuming this issue were ever to go before a court, the landlord (the one bringing the action) would have the burden of proving their case, not the other way around. That's how our legal system works, folks. In this case, the landlord would very much have to explain why they are just now pursuing an alleged missed payment from almost five months ago. Judges are smart people and they would not be inclined to side with the landlord on that issue, especially if all the other payments were made as agreed.

Moving beyond that though, it is extremely unlikely they would move forward with legal proceedings over a measly $100 given the circumstances. Assuming they'd be using legal counsel, their lawyer would likely be very upfront with them about their chances for success and the fact that the potential lost cost (filing fees, legal fees for themselves and the tenants) would be exponentially greater than the $100 in question.

The landlord is--at best--on shaky ground, from both a legal and common sense position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting