Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 07:27 AM

5 posts, read 2,824 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My landlord is selling the house we're living in. We agreed to viewings, but the landlord wants to hold an open house on Sunday from 2pm - 4pm. Are we within our rights to stay home during the open house? We don't want to leave or crate our cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 07:34 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada9876 View Post
Hi everyone,

My landlord is selling the house we're living in. We agreed to viewings, but the landlord wants to hold an open house on Sunday from 2pm - 4pm. Are we within our rights to stay home during the open house? We don't want to leave or crate our cat.
It's your home, he can ask you to leave but can't force you to leave. Tell him if he wants you to leave to rent you a pet friendly hotel room.

He can lie and say you have to leave, but the only people who can force you out of your home are the police if they have an eviction notice or if you are in an unsafe area during a hurricane and even then they may not be able to force you out, but they won't come for you if something happens.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It's your home, he can ask you to leave but can't force you to leave. Tell him if he wants you to leave to rent you a pet friendly hotel room.

He can lie and say you have to leave, but the only people who can force you out of your home are the police if they have an eviction notice or if you are in an unsafe area during a hurricane and even then they may not be able to force you out, but they won't come for you if something happens.
Thanks, I figured as much but I wanted to be sure. We've been very accommodating but we're not willing to leave for an open house.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:40 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Thanks, I figured as much but I wanted to be sure. We've been very accommodating but we're not willing to leave for an open house.
As long as you are out of the way and they have access to every room and the cat is under control you should be okay.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:04 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You can stay there as long as you aren't doing anything to try to prevent a sale, like walking around pointing out flaws. As for the cat, is your cat going to be fine with a bunch of people tromping through the house? Is it OK for the cat to get out the door and go outside? Personally, I would crate my cat to keep it safe. Maybe move the cat to the garage if weather is acceptible. That's to protect the cat, nothing for the convenience of the listing agent.

Please stay out of the way and don't follow the viewers around talking to them. It's off-putting for a buyer.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You can stay there as long as you aren't doing anything to try to prevent a sale, like walking around pointing out flaws. As for the cat, is your cat going to be fine with a bunch of people tromping through the house? Is it OK for the cat to get out the door and go outside? Personally, I would crate my cat to keep it safe. Maybe move the cat to the garage if weather is acceptible. That's to protect the cat, nothing for the convenience of the listing agent.

Please stay out of the way and don't follow the viewers around talking to them. It's off-putting for a buyer.
We would never point out flaws. Our rental home is perfect and we want it to sell quick. We're going to keep the cat downstairs with us where he won't get in the way. He's an indoor cat.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:33 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
We would never point out flaws. Our rental home is perfect and we want it to sell quick. We're going to keep the cat downstairs with us where he won't get in the way. He's an indoor cat.
It's an open house so unless you leash the animal he isn't going to stay put and you can't expect people to leave the front door shut or to be watching for the animal so it is best to crate it even if you are there. If you do stay home the most you can say to anyone is hello even if asked a direct question you refer them to the agent. Don't follow people around and don't move around the house while people are there.

He can't make you leave but people being in a home during an open house will always run off some buyers, myself included, so there is a legitimate argument to be had over you refusing to go see a movie or go get lunch for a 2 hour open house, though he should have offered to pay you something to get you out IMO.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
It's an open house so unless you leash the animal he isn't going to stay put and you can't expect people to leave the front door shut or to be watching for the animal so it is best to crate it even if you are there. If you do stay home the most you can say to anyone is hello even if asked a direct question you refer them to the agent. Don't follow people around and don't move around the house while people are there.

He can't make you leave but people being in a home during an open house will always run off some buyers, myself included, so there is a legitimate argument to be had over you refusing to go see a movie or go get lunch for a 2 hour open house, though he should have offered to pay you something to get you out IMO.
Yes, I agree. The landlord should offer an incentive but she did not, so we're going to stay out of the way. There's no storm door so I can't imagine why they would leave the door wide open - inviting the -10 winter inside my home that I am paying to heat.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:15 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
All the More reason that they Will! No open house But Every time the new owners bankers Inspectors came they used My apt leaving the Door Wide open till they left! Didn't matter what the weather nor if I had heat on or the A/C Always Some one stood in the door so it couldn't be closed!! People are Jerks!

Old 03-07-2018, 02:29 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Normally, I would urge you to cooperate with the LL. But in this case, he really should have offered to at least pay for a nice lunch out for you guys, and some alternative for the cat. He's gonna want it really warm in there to feel welcoming for buyers, but you have to pay for the heat, with the door open a lot. And yes, they will leave the door open.

So, if I were you, I'd call the LL. Tell him that if he wants you guys and the cat gone, that he's gonna have to pay for the inconvenience to you. And that you want him to pay something towards the heating bill, since the heat's gonna be running full blast the entire time they're having the open house. And suggest that he might want to pay for a pro cleaning service to come in. They're gonna track dirt all through the house, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting