Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 07:36 PM

497 posts, read 422,529 times

Advertisements

We have a new LL and they are strongly encouraging tenants to sign up for PAP (not sure what it stand for but something to do with LL having access to take your rent money automatically)

The last couple of months, I've dated my check prior to the 1st of the month and submitted it and noticed that the check was not cashed until almost two weeks later. Then the LL posted signs everywhere throughout the building to encourage that tenants visit the office to sign up for PAP.

I have not spoken to a lot of tenants, but the ones that I've bumped into somewhat regularly, expressed that they have no interest to use PAP and rather write up a check and I agree with them.

This time, I did't pay my rent prior to the due date, only submitted it early, post dated. It has been 8 days and the check is not cashed in yet.

Have you experienced this and do you have any advice for me? I am not happy with this new LL on not cashing in the check within reasonable time and it make it harder to keep track of my budget and not to dip into the rent money.

How long can the LL wait before they can cash in the check? How should I handle this problem with the LL or should I avoid complaining because that would attract negative attention from the LL?

I also want to make it clear that there is no way that the LL didn't get my check because less then 24 hours, they are absolutely quick to issue eviction notice due to no payment or bounced check.

Also, a few weeks ago, I saw a cockroach on my floor hallway wall. Later on the same day, I saw a sign that the LL will send someone to address the cockroach problem and posted specific units for everyone to see who has issues with cockroaches. (My unit was not listed and I haven't seen any in my home)
It appears that majority of the units are the opposite side of my unit, the same side as the garbage disposal shoot and I've noticed on my floor, people dumping their garbage bag and pizza boxes on the floor instead of dropping it down the shoot. I've also seen people place the garbage bag in the shoot doorway so that it is stuck there so that someone else has to push it down the shoot and leave the door open.

I just got back from the garbage disposal room and saw a cockroach...a young one and this is after a contractor was sent to deal with the cockroaches.
As a tenant, I guess there is nothing I can do, but I don't want cockroaches in my home!
Do you have any advice for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 07:47 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
The LL can hold the check as long as he likes before cashing it, not overspending money you don't have is your problem not theirs. If you refuse to use the payment method the LL obviously prefers then you get to deal with him holding it for weeks or possibly even months, your checks technically have an expiration date of six months but the bank could decide to go ahead and cash it after that (never happens though). Your bank might even limit it a little bit shorter than that so ask them that question.

As for how long your are legally responsible for the payment even if the check was never cashed that could be years it depends on your state's statute of limitations on contracts. That is 6 years here in AZ for example.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:57 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
find out what PAP is first, maybe it's a way to pay online or directly from your bank account. I would not want someone to do an autopay type thing where they take it out of your account on the first I would not like that.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:33 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
The LL can hold the check as long as he likes before cashing it, not overspending money you don't have is your problem not theirs. If you refuse to use the payment method the LL obviously prefers then you get to deal with him holding it for weeks or possibly even months, your checks technically have an expiration date of six months but the bank could decide to go ahead and cash it after that (never happens though). Your bank might even limit it a little bit shorter than that so ask them that question.

As for how long your are legally responsible for the payment even if the check was never cashed that could be years it depends on your state's statute of limitations on contracts. That is 6 years here in AZ for example.
^^This. No matter how frustrating it may be for you OP, there is no set time that a LL must cash a rent check other than the limit that your bank requires that your checks be cashed before they are no longer valid which is more than likely 6 months or so. So no matter what that time frame may be, you deduct the money from your checking and just don't spend it because you are 100% responsible for making sure that check is covered and does not bounce whenever it may get cashed, period.

The "PAP" you are referring to is more than likely an online pay system that goes directly into the LL's bank account. He obviously prefers that system because getting to the bank to deposit the rent checks is probably not convenient for him to do hence the reason it is taking so long for your check to get cashed.

So, make up your mind and pick one. If you want your money applied and deducted right away so you can keep track of your money better then you can solve that problem by signing up for his PAP system. Ask him what it is and how it works first. But, if you don't want to sign up for his PAP system then you can keep doing in like you have been and never know when your check will be cashed.

You know if he wanted to, he could require that all tenants use his PAP system and not give you a choice, which may happen eventually anyway.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I think the easy answer for you would be to get a money order and pay your rent that way. The post office sells them pretty cheap. Be sure and keep the receipt and the tear-away part of the money order for your records. I'm pretty sure you can even buy them with your debit card at the post office.

As far as the roaches, let your landlord know what you've seen. He obviously is trying to get rid of them. If he doesn't know the problem is continuing, he can't fix it.

It shouldn't be confrontational. Just say, "Hey, thanks so much for working to get rid of the roaches. Just in case you didn't know, I have seen a couple of young ones since the pest guy came here." Then, tell him where you saw them.

As a former apartment manager, it used to be frustrating when tenants wouldn't tell me about these types of things.

EDIT: I found the USPS website that explains about their money orders. You can pay with cash, debit card or traveler's checks.

https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm

Old 03-08-2018, 09:56 PM

I found what PAP is online. Here's a sample form:

http://www.landlord.net/forms/preauthorizeddebit.pdf

I wouldn't ever do this, myself. It's an approval for an automatic deduction every month from your bank account.

On the other hand, I'd love it if my landlord let me pay my rent online. But, that wouldn't give them permission to get into my bank account every month.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:00 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Don't pay with a money order. If it gets lost, it's a total pain in the ass. We've had tenants actually mail us money orders made out to cash! What if it had gotten lost in the mail?

Unless they force you to use a different method, keep paying by check. Take a picture of the check with your smartphone before you drop it off. Keep a check log. Make sure you don't spend the rent money, so you won't have bounced checks.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:17 PM

Or, pay with cash and get a receipt. Take a picture of the receipt and email it to yourself, in case you lose the receipt.

I had a landlord who traveled the world, and the manager would collect the checks and mail them to wherever she wanted them mailed, but she often wouldn't cash them for a month or longer. Total pain in the rear trying to keep my bank account straight. I started paying with cash or money orders just to keep my sanity. So, I get where the OP is coming from.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:25 PM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think the easy answer for you would be to get a money order and pay your rent that way. The post office sells them pretty cheap. Be sure and keep the receipt and the tear-away part of the money order for your records. I'm pretty sure you can even buy them with your debit card at the post office.

As far as the roaches, let your landlord know what you've seen. He obviously is trying to get rid of them. If he doesn't know the problem is continuing, he can't fix it.

It shouldn't be confrontational. Just say, "Hey, thanks so much for working to get rid of the roaches. Just in case you didn't know, I have seen a couple of young ones since the pest guy came here." Then, tell him where you saw them.

As a former apartment manager, it used to be frustrating when tenants wouldn't tell me about these types of things.

EDIT: I found the USPS website that explains about their money orders. You can pay with cash, debit card or traveler's checks.

https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm
I suspect the money order won't solve this as it seems the landlord doesn't want to handle physical payments. But if ever one needs a money order, walmart also has them and they are 70 cents.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:47 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
A few times since this place has been sold The Apt Mgr has held my checks for a YEAR! They cash them Just Before we sign new lease... then starts over again. No Biggie to them since my part of Section 8 is only $80 ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting