Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 10:14 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times

Advertisements

Why in the world do you care about a camera pointed at a door?

If it’s that big of a deal, pay your way out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 08:15 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Read your lease. Most of them have a clause how much it costs to buy your way out and this wouldn't ding your record.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:27 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtenant12 View Post
I did ask him why he put it there. He said its for safety and its not pointing at the stairs but straight at my door. No other door or hallways have cameras anywhere other then the lobby. I want to know if there is anything i can do to not get a bad tenant record while breaking the lease.Is there a way to get out of this legally because of this situation.
I’m not really sure why it bothers you. I find it a nice added security measure. Also, most security cameras, especially those used in cramped interior spaces, have very wide angle lenses to cover as much of the area as possible. Most likely the camera is seeing a wide area which just happens to have your doorway near the center of its coverage. I.E. your door is probably just a very small part of the scene it’s seeing.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:30 AM

303 posts, read 821,762 times
I think our society is way too tolerant of surveillance. Legally it may be OK but its morally deplorable. Right up there with the most dangerous lie we tend to believe "If you are not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to hide". Cameras need to be regulated. There SHOULD be a reasonable expectation of privacy in a building (unless its not controlled in any way). We need to fight this stuff. Legally you are probably screwed but morally, I am not sure there is a way to get word out you are being snooped but this is a big part of our big brother society that I am tired of

Old 03-21-2018, 11:31 AM

303 posts, read 821,762 times
If there is audio on it and it can pick out conversation in your apartment, that may be illegal

Old 03-21-2018, 11:45 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
If there is audio on it and it can pick out conversation in your apartment, that may be illegal

NY/NYC is a one party consent state.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:43 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
NY/NYC is a one party consent state.
You still have to be a party to the conversation

Old 03-21-2018, 01:52 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,231 times
OP are you male or female ? the camera is odd that's a fact .. and yep if its pointed at just your door its a problem and invasion of privacy.. Will the super show you what the camera see's? maybe that will clear the matter up.. HOWEVER if your a woman it will not keep you safe .. is the super stalking you or watching who you have as visitors?.. if your a guy is the camera watching you to be sure your not bringing in to many over night guests .. lots of questions here .. mean time a can of spray paint to cover the lens is fair .. what are they gonna do sue you for defacing property? so be it that means they gotta take you to court and explain to the judge why that camera is pointed at your door ..

NOW since I started looking this up.. does this camera see inside your apt when you open the door? THATS considered harassment ... you might have a leg to stand on in that case .. I think its rude and outta line of course

are they trying to find out if you have a pet that's not allowed?..

Last edited by Faworki1947; 03-21-2018 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: futher thoughts on the subject added

Old 03-21-2018, 04:56 PM

7 posts, read 5,675 times
I am a female. I did ask him if i could see what the camera is showing and he said he cant do that right now hes very busy and tried to change the subject and walked away. I am creeped out by this and just wanna try to move out at this point.You can clearly see that its only pointing straight to my door since there aren't any doors near me.It's a long hallway but its pointing from the wall to my door instead of down the hallway.I've been here for 3 years and he knows i don't have any pets.I hardly ever bring anyone over at all.He can see me going to and from work every morning too i assume. Super came by to fix things before and has seen my place many times.

Last edited by NYCtenant12; 03-21-2018 at 05:25 PM..

Old 03-21-2018, 06:01 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times
That is super creepy. I don't blame you for being creeper out. I would think too he is spying on me in some way. If it is truly security it does not need to be set up so that camera can pick up some of the inside of your apartment as you open door. It should be set up to pick up your door and down the hallway, at a angle. I saw on one post here about neighbor setting up security cameras in his yard but were pointed towards neighbors bedroom windows and that was illegal to set up to peer into bedroom windows. I would talk to someone in housing authority to see what they would have to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting