Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 05:08 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeNicol88 View Post
It adds up to close to 20k but he says he will settle for 12,500 or 750 a month until paid off.
He thinks that you will roll over and pay. Call his bluff and tell him that you will ask the advice of your lawyer. Bet he changes his tune really fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 08:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
A judge would have a real chuckle over dinner with his/her family after seeing that bill.

"Hon, you won't believe the gonads on this sleazy landlord I had in the courtroom today..."

Old 03-23-2018, 09:12 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Ok, let's take this line by line...

Quote:
Now, yesterday, a full five months after moving out
Which is 4 months too late under PA law.

Quote:
he stated he wanted to finish the house before sending the list of repairs.
Doesn't matter what he wants. The law says 30 days.

Quote:
Carpet removal, replacement (he gave 30% depreciation)
So according to him, that carpet had a life span of 27+ years? Hahahahaha...ok.

Quote:
RENT for the Laborer to live in the house while he repaints and repairs
ROFL! Not even close to permissible. Anyone want to take bets on whether or not his "laborer" is a family member or friend he's giving a free ride to?

Quote:
New drop ceiling
Sounds like the sort of thing that might happen if you don't repair a leaky roof.

Quote:
foundation
Whaaaaaat?

Quote:
painting the whole house, sanding and repainting the kitchen cabinets
Wear and tear.

Quote:
plus an entire page list of store purchase amounts. No dates, no details, just the store name and amount (IE Walmart 23.00) Nickle and dimed to the tune of 1500.
And for all you know, that $23.00 was a couple 24 packs of crappy beer. But he probably thinks you owe for that too because reasons.

Quote:
If I don't respond in 7 days he says he is taking me to court.
I'd respond with exactly three words.

"I dare you."

Quote:
I can really use some advice.
You have a few options, and the advice will differ accordingly;

1) Ignore him and assume he'll go away (he probably will) but potentially risk a lawsuit. If this happens, you'll easily win, but it'll be a hassle to deal with.

2) Put him in his place by letting him know what a colossal moron and/or unethical douchebag he is and how badly you will burn him to the ground if he actually tries that B.S.

3) Flip the tables on him and go after him to get your deposit back, suing him if necessary. (Bonus: This also accomplishes #2, with the potential of a sitting judge confirming it for you.)

Which one do you want to do?

Old 03-24-2018, 08:08 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
How much was the security deposit?

Old 03-24-2018, 09:54 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,681 times
Quote:
No, the 1500 was for misc purchases at Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot,he didn't list what he brought, just amounts.
Thanks for the clarification.

The LL is using fear and big numbers to make you think getting out of his sight for a few thousand is worth it for you. Don't be fooled. Some great advice already on here....consult before you reply to the LL.

https://pa211sw.communityos.org/zf/p...vice/id/878097

Put a boot right up your LL's hindquarters starting with the link above.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:57 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Tell him he has 10 days to return your full deposit or you will take him to court, where he will be returning you twice your deposit, paying court costs, and reimbursing you any expenses or legal fees you incur in the process. Be sure to include a link to the pertinent laws for his reading pleasure.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:29 PM

13 posts, read 8,033 times
You guys have been great.

I basically replied 'we will let a third party decide'

I didn't want to mention the law, as he should know it. Nor that he never presented me with proof of my deposit (750.00) into an escrow, plus interest he never paid., He had 30 days, now let's hope the magistrate knows and follows the law. I hate the thought of going to court, because if the law is on my side, he shouldn't even be allowed to file. I mean I wish they ask 'did you get the itemized list to her in 30 days'

I'll keep you posted.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:18 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
Good for you, OP. That guy sounds nuts. I hope you get your double deposit so that he has to pay for putting you through this mess.

Can't wait to hear the updates. Good luck!

Old 03-28-2018, 10:28 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
You guys have been great.

I basically replied 'we will let a third party decide'

I didn't want to mention the law, as he should know it. Nor that he never presented me with proof of my deposit (750.00) into an escrow, plus interest he never paid., He had 30 days, now let's hope the magistrate knows and follows the law. I hate the thought of going to court, because if the law is on my side, he shouldn't even be allowed to file. I mean I wish they ask 'did you get the itemized list to her in 30 days'

I'll keep you posted.
Just a heads up that you should send (or even better, have an attorney send) a letter demanding the return of your security deposit. Showing a willingness to handle this before going to court will help put you in the judge's good graces.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:49 PM

13 posts, read 8,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Just a heads up that you should send (or even better, have an attorney send) a letter demanding the return of your security deposit. Showing a willingness to handle this before going to court will help put you in the judge's good graces.
Should I mention I am aware of the law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting