Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:44 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Believe me, when I get off my computer, I will kiss the ground of my living room floor while raising my hands to the sky and thanking dear God that we own our own home.

Moderator Cut...

Maybe someone will be kinder to you than you were to them.
I'm a renter...and I'm the one that had to tear out the ceiling and cabinets because they were full of black mold, treat the home for cockroaches, paint, put in new flooring....

because the landlord refused to do any of it.

Hey, I want MY place in good shape. I'm surprised he was willing to pay for the new lock on the door...he didn't have a key for the door, and was PADLOCKING it shut. That's not a workable solution for me, as someone is ALWAYS home (what? lock her IN? that's a safety hazard), and I'd like to be able to get in the locked door without banging on the window and waking her up every time I come home from work at 6 a.m.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-01-2008 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 12:27 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,086 times
And you have a really crappy landlord

Old 04-01-2008, 12:37 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,144 times
When I first moved to Tucson 10 years ago we were renting, and they placed the house for sale while we were still in it after the lease was up and we were on monthly. I kind of figured it was his house, but that's just me. The people who ended up buying it were driving around and saw the house, and me outside, and asked if they could look at it. I did ,and they ended up buying it from him. Not sure why everyone makes things so difficult. We bought our own house so we'd have control over that.
I wouldn't be a landlord personally. Not many people I would trust with my house to keep it in good shape.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:37 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I wouldn't let my landlord show my apartment while I lived there either, unless it was written into my contract. .
me either.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:43 PM

yes I do.

This is the SECOND place we've moved to at HIS request. The first place he was supposed to be turning into the park office...which he didn't do. The second place we lived in he tore down...even though it was better than the place we're in now (and, being in the back, it was quieter and more peaceful). All three places we've paid to make changes to make it our own place. I built a screen door to put on the first place, so we could leave the door WIDE open in the daytime, yet keep bugs out, and the cats on their respective sides of that door. I also built a shelving unit out of PVC and wire shelving for the bathroom. Problem is, it was made SPECIFICALLY for that place, and doesn't fit the same way elsewhere. (Went over the toilet--no storage in that bathroom at all, not even a medicine cabinet.)

Same thing for the wooden shelf we built in the second place. One reason we built it was because the way the room was designed there was a 1-1/2' x 4' space just WASTED beside the shower...so our little shelf both hid the wasted space, making it "look" better, it also gave us storage space for bath towels.

I joked that he was going to keep moving us around the whole complex, since we keep fixing things up as we go.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:13 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,553,758 times
I rent also. I think I'd be upset if my landlord sold the house we are in, but I wouldn't thwart his efforts to show it. We've been here for 9 years and it does seem like home. We've made improvements in the house (light fixtures, outlets, painting, totally renovated the bathroom, etc.). The house is 100+ years old and boy does it show! I think the last renovation was in 1940. However, if he was to sell, good for him. My only issue would be the embarrassment of a cluttered house and trying to keep it clean enough to show. I know I don't own the property but that doesn't mean I can't care for it while I live in it.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:47 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
It is the property of the landlord and I think they have a right to sell if they want to. Nothing states that a landowner should lose his or her shorts just because someone is renting from them. You offer a roof over their heads, not a ride for life.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:31 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,086 times
I'm glad there are people here that recognize the landlord's rights.

TKramer... sounds like you might want to just move..

Old 04-02-2008, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
I'm glad there are people here that recognize the landlord's rights.

TKramer... sounds like you might want to just move..
The landlord has the RIGHT to fix up his own place. But the tenant has the right to live in a DECENT place. That's why I've ALWAYS fixed up any place I've lived in! I don't want to live with it, like the person who doesn't LIVE there is perfectly willing to do.

Probably the BEST option is those people who rent out a ROOM in their house...and offer kitchen privileges. That way, you are more likely to find that the place is STRAIGHT, because they live there too--unless THEY'RE total slobs, and that's something else entirely.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:51 AM

203 posts, read 927,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
When I first moved to Tucson 10 years ago we were renting, and they placed the house for sale while we were still in it after the lease was up and we were on monthly. I kind of figured it was his house, but that's just me. The people who ended up buying it were driving around and saw the house, and me outside, and asked if they could look at it. I did ,and they ended up buying it from him. Not sure why everyone makes things so difficult. We bought our own house so we'd have control over that.
I wouldn't be a landlord personally. Not many people I would trust with my house to keep it in good shape.
And if you were my tenant I would have given you a nice cheque for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting