Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 03:48 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,974,253 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine in Massachusetts is potentially getting evicted, but also wants out of her apartment. A little backstory: The leasing office is terrible and the building is poorly managed. It's a large apartment complex. They have been bad about repairs and I'm fairly certain she has been difficult with rent in response. Basically waiting until the last possible day to pay rent, often after she has a court notice. It's kind of turned into a pissing match.

Anyway, the leasing office is threatening court and eviction again. At this point my friend would just like to move somewhere else. I had been with her when she signed the lease and remember a bunch of crazy clauses. There is a clause that says " Termination of your possession rights or subsequent reletting doesn't release you from liability for future rent or other Lease Contract obligations"

Does this mean they will try to collect rent from the time my friend is evicted until the lease is up? Is that legal is MA? I suggested trying to work with their attorney to voluntary leave but make sure you aren't liable for any more rent.

Any advice or suggestions is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 04:00 PM

453 posts, read 410,916 times
If they re rent the place they cannot continue to collect rent from your friend as well. You can’t double dip

Old 04-19-2018, 06:02 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
A friend of mine in Massachusetts is potentially getting evicted, but also wants out of her apartment. A little backstory: The leasing office is terrible and the building is poorly managed. It's a large apartment complex. They have been bad about repairs and I'm fairly certain she has been difficult with rent in response. Basically waiting until the last possible day to pay rent, often after she has a court notice. It's kind of turned into a pissing match.

Anyway, the leasing office is threatening court and eviction again. At this point my friend would just like to move somewhere else. I had been with her when she signed the lease and remember a bunch of crazy clauses. There is a clause that says " Termination of your possession rights or subsequent reletting doesn't release you from liability for future rent or other Lease Contract obligations"

Does this mean they will try to collect rent from the time my friend is evicted until the lease is up? Is that legal is MA? I suggested trying to work with their attorney to voluntary leave but make sure you aren't liable for any more rent.

Any advice or suggestions is appreciated.
Guess who won that pissing match? As your 'friend' if it was worth it...you never, ever withhold rent or intentionally pay rent late to 'get back' at your landlord. I love how these threads always start with, "They're bad with repairs and poorly manage the building".

Your 'friend' needs to pay her rent, in full, then break the lease and move. If this eviction goes thru, are you prepared to have her move in because that's going to be the next step.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:38 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim in fl View Post
guess who won that pissing match? As your 'friend' if it was worth it...you never, ever withhold rent or intentionally pay rent late to 'get back' at your landlord. i love how these threads always start with, "they're bad with repairs and poorly manage the building". :rolleyes:

Your 'friend' needs to pay her rent, in full, then break the lease and move. If this eviction goes thru, are you prepared to have her move in because that's going to be the next step.
+1.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:09 AM

453 posts, read 410,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Guess who won that pissing match? As your 'friend' if it was worth it...you never, ever withhold rent or intentionally pay rent late to 'get back' at your landlord. I love how these threads always start with, "They're bad with repairs and poorly manage the building".

Yeah, that stuff is probably true. They probably are bad with that stuff, but there really is no excuse to not pay rent. That can only end poorly for a tenant.

There are other legal remedies I’d the LL isn’t keeping up with repairs and things of that nature

Old 04-20-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

Thank you for your completely unhelpful opinion, even as it's unwanted. I'm not sure why you are rolling your eyes at poor management, as it's a legitimate concern. I offered up that my friend (yes friend, I bought my place about two years ago) hasn't been perfect, because it's I thought it was relevant. Neither party has been great here.

Also, in massachusetts, withholding rent for not making repairs is 100% legal.

Kindly ****

Old 04-20-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
Yeah, that stuff is probably true. They probably are bad with that stuff, but there really is no excuse to not pay rent. That can only end poorly for a tenant.

There are other legal remedies I’d the LL isn’t keeping up with repairs and things of that nature
You can withhold rent for not making repairs in MA, that really isn't the issue though at this time.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:33 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,840,356 times
Quote:
Thank you for your completely unhelpful opinion, even as it's unwanted. I'm not sure why you are rolling your eyes at poor management, as it's a legitimate concern. I offered up that my friend (yes friend, I bought my place about two years ago) hasn't been perfect, because it's I thought it was relevant. Neither party has been great here.

Also, in massachusetts, withholding rent for not making repairs is 100% legal.

Kindly ****

Actually, it depends on the type of repairs needed and requires that the tenant give certain notices of her intention to withhold. It then requires the tenant to deposit rent in a seperate court supervised account.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
It then requires the tenant to deposit rent in a seperate court supervised account.
What statue is this?

Old 04-20-2018, 03:39 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times
Quote:
What statue is this?
Massachusetts G. L. c. 239, Section 8A, allows a tenant to withhold rent in such situations where request for repairs has been made in writing. The landlord must be given written notice of the tenant’s intent to withhold rent as a result of the landlord’s failure to make repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting