Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:01 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times

Advertisements

While small for a 3br, the house appears to be in good condition. I wonder if the size of the yard is turning off folks. Some renters do not want the hassle of being responsible for maintaining a large yard. They may not even have the lawn equipment to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 09:57 AM

453 posts, read 410,398 times
Is this the same place you were complaining about the quality of applicants from a post a few days ago?

It appears you’ve had interest, you have just decided you don’t care for those applicants, and one has moved on.

The yard could be an issue, as mentioned above. I would include that the LL will be responsible for yard cleanings and mowings, even if you have to raise the rent a little bit.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:27 AM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I have no idea what rents are in KS. I thought it was a cheap place to live, so I am surprised rent is so high.

I have an easy time renting large yards, but I have good high fences and I take kids and dogs. Dog owners are willing to take care of a big yard so their dog has room to play. I screen dogs and dog owners really carefully and have had almost no dog damage to my rentals. The same thing with good parents. They want a safe place for their kids to run around, so they like a big fenced yard.

Your place has no curb appeal, OP. I gave it a careful look and can't see any easy way to fix that problem. I assume all houses on the street have the same old look to them. I think the inside looks nice.

If people are looking at yours and then renting something else, that means there is either something better out there or something almost as nice that is cheaper. I suggest that you analyze what is available. Your must be the best at its price level in order to get it rented fast.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:46 PM

22 posts, read 58,486 times
Lowering the price really did it. I got swamped with requests today. I did a market analysis through Cozy and in my opinion it was too low. There are not a ton of home rentals right now. I just have to hold out and have faith I can get someone soon. Two weeks of showings feels like an eternity.

Thanks Oregon Smoke. The curb appeal is ok..... it is an old 1950s style house. I am not interested in putting too much into it. I spent too much getting it ready to begin with.

Last edited by Tuser; 04-24-2018 at 04:56 PM..

Old 04-24-2018, 04:56 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Two weeks doesn't seem like that long of a time to me (at least it's not in my area), unless you're in one of those outlandish areas where people are tripping over each other with bidding wars on sales/rentals. I can't speak for how market conditions are in Shawnee, Kansas though.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:59 PM

Jowel... it is an insane housing market as far as purchases go. Everything is going over asking. I can't speak for the rental market, but doesn't appear as hot.

I had delusions of it getting snagged up immediately, but I guess that just wasn't realistic either.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:04 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuser View Post
Jowel... it is an insane housing market as far as purchases go. Everything is going over asking. I can't speak for the rental market, but doesn't appear as hot.

I had delusions of it getting snagged up immediately, but I guess that just wasn't realistic either.
Hopefully, you'll get a good tenant soon. It does look like a nice, well kept home. And like I said, at least in my area, even those homes in good locations at a fair price that are owned by people with lots of landlord experience tend to sit vacant for lease for around a month (sometimes more) before they're rented, so two weeks seems like a pretty short timeframe.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:08 PM

Thank You Jowel. I appreciate it.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:00 PM

323 posts, read 222,099 times
You're probably charging too much

Old 04-24-2018, 10:39 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
I wish that house were here for that rent. I'd snap it up The house looks nice. Nothing much from the outside, but the inside looks great and very appealing. I hope you find your renter soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting